Just a beginner

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Lewis and I'm not quite a triathlete! I am, however, on my way to becoming one.

Depending on when I get a bike (within the next month hopefully), I may take part in a sprint on July 1st.

My ultimate goal, which is probably the same as yours (even though I'm sure many of you have completed this goal!), is to become an Ironman. I am aiming to complete Ironman Wales in 2015, with smaller triathlons (of course) in the months and years building up to it.

I'm dead excited to be on this journey!

I have also started a blog today about my journey to my ultimate goal, the blog is:

http://ajourneytothestars.wordpress.com/

Thanks everyone, I hope to get to know your stories and achievements through these forums!

Comments

• Lewis,

Good luck with your goal, hope it all works out for you. On your blog you say you are doing it because others say you can't ( proving it to them ). Do it for YOURSELF first and all the time.

All the best,

Chilliimage

• Thanks for the reply Chilli!

I am doing it for myself, no doubt. I just use negative comments from other people as further motivation. I think it's nice to show people what you can do and prove their negativity wrong.

• Hiya Lewis, good to read that your challenging yourself,

Check out this link which you may find useful:

Guide to Sprint Tri's
  • Thanks for the response!

That look like a great guide, I'm sure I'll use it a lot!

This forum seems to be full of Pirates image
  • without the pirates, this forum would be Tripetalk..... image
  • Lewis11 wrote (see)
     I am aiming to complete Ironman Wales in 2015,

2015 ??  .... ok so my advice is to stay well away from ironholgs (cant run swim ride) book for at least the next year then .. or you'll find yourself  unable to resist signing up for IMW 2013 (or even 2012... places still available ) instead image  

Good luck with your journey .. no greater feeling than crossing that line

• I'm actually at university, so it would be quite difficult to train consistently I think! Maybe I can get in earlier... I'm not sure, it could happen image

I've read the book! It was actually one of the main reasons why I wanted to try a tri!

I'd love to enter IMW 2013, but I don't think I could train well enough!

Thanks for your reply!!
  • Must be easier to train whilst at Uni....

No wife and kids to worry about... More rigid timetable...

Just get on with it and stop messing about

• I hadn't thought of it like that to be honest!

Now I come to think of it, I have more free time at Uni than I have at home.

Spartan, you are a genius!
  • As Dave says - uni is probably an ideal time to get some serious training in - just get up in the morning!
  • Lewis11 wrote (see)
     Spartan, you are a genius!

Now if we could just get someone to put that in a book !!!

Sunday  raced

Mon drove 200 miles to site office worked til 8pm

Tues 13 hours at my desk cheap b&b for the night

Weds.. Been here since 7am  cheap b&b for the night

Thurs / Fri   Dog knows, But I have to drive home at some point

Sat / Sun Family christening 150 miles from home

and you're worried about fitting in training ???????

How many weeks is it til The Outlaw ?

ps I do love my job, But it isn't geared to IM training

• But he does have to fit in the sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, plus I would have been shot if anyone caught me actually reading a book at uni, even if it was Holg's wonderful tome starring the inspirational Spartan image, not to mention what would have happened if I got caught wearing lycra!

• A genius.. inspirational.....

I'll be being interviewed on radio next      image

• Point proven Spartan image

I've just got to find a swimming pool near my Uni and I'll be on my way!
  • I like your style Lewis, you've been on here  5 minutes and already infected with blind optimisim, superb.image Ignorance is always the best policy when attempting a first Ironman.
  • Hi guys
    I'm popping my forum cherry here, but "Just a beginner" caught my eye and I couldn't resist. Like you, Lewis, I have an Ironman in my sights (a tiny wee speck on the horizon, but it's there). Got the bug for this multi-dicipline lark when a friend and I did the Great Kindrochit Quadrathlon last year. We're doing an olympic distance at the end of July and I'm peeing myself (but that'll warm the wetsuit up a bit) about it already. I'm aiming for IM Wales 2014. I've read "The Book", which the aforementioned friend gave me, and I'm now wondering if I should choose my friends more carefully, as it's really got me hooked. Good luck with the training Lewis.
    PS Will I be too old for my first IM at 43?
  • I did my first at 50.............  Nope
  • There goes another excuse
  • Hi Nurse  Rached and welcome.

To those with Ironman aspirations; This Thread is worth a read, it shows where many of us were the year befor we did our first Ironman.

• Hello! Sorry to gatecrash your thread Lewis, I'm Helen, 27 and I'm new to tri's as well, been a runner for about 5 years and recently decided to jump over to multi discipline to mix up my training a bit.

A friend and i have entered a local sprint triathlon (Great Dunmow, anyone know it?) which i think is perfect for a first timer as the swim leg is in a pool, to be honest at the moment the thought of open water swimming terrifies me! I'm a very weak swimmer but have signed up for a course of lessons so itching to get started now!

The tri isn't until the 9th September but i wish it was sooner!! Hopefully it will be the start of many.

Although i'm weak at swimming and cycling i have every confidence in myself that I can train for this, when i started running i stopped after about a quarter mile, sat on the floor and cried cos it was so difficult. 3 months later I did my first 10km and i've since completed 2 marathons and a few weeks ago beat my half marathon PB finishing in 2hrs 4mins!

Iron(wo)man one day? Maybe!

I'm sure i'll find all the advice i need on here.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any advice you may give me!!

Helen x

• Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that thread, Bouncing Barlist. You are all a dangerous bunch - I now feel I can actually achieve Ironman. You'll make a pirate of me yet.
  • Lewis11 wrote (see)
    I'm actually at university, so it would be quite difficult to train consistently I think! Maybe I can get in earlier... I'm not sure, it could happen image I've read the book! It was actually one of the main reasons why I wanted to try a tri! I'd love to enter IMW 2013, but I don't think I could train well enough! Thanks for your reply!!

Glad the book had an effect on you, and sorry that was making you want to do an ironman image

I shall try and fit it into the sequel that Dave The Ex Spartan is a genius......might be difficult though.

Good luck to all the newbies, brilliant that you all starting your journey to Ironman - you won't regret it.

• My goodness loads of extra new recruits!!! Helen needs a new name along with Lewis, nurse will be younger than 43 when completing IM in 2013, Lewis needs to bring fwd timescale on IM while he has a study loan to pay for it and a new bike and a wetsuit and tri suit and cycle computer and hrm....
  • Ah fresh blood, what are you all waiting for ? what is it 11 weeks to Outlaw and 50 extra entries available? Good luck on your journey, its a great ride!
  • "Helen needs a new name along with Lewis"

I agree, how boring is Lewis? Open to suggestions!

"Lewis needs to bring fwd timescale on IM while he has a study loan to pay for it and a new bike and a wetsuit and tri suit and cycle computer and hrm...."

I actually have my next loan going in on Monday, please don't tempt me gastank image

Welcome Helen and Nurse, I hope everything goes well for you and good luck in your journey too!
  • Hello everyone from the other side of pond.

I'm to blame for young Lewis' Ironman aspirations haha

Apparently I'm in for Wales 2015 with him. Good for me as I need a few years to save.

My only Iron distance event so far is Ironman Louisville where I currently live but I am registered for a second iron distance event in September.

I'm impressed with all the love in this thread!
  • Woah, woah, woah, gastank - 2013? I would just lurve to be able to do IM next year, but until small person starts school, I won't have the time to commit to training. But once he sets off on the path to enlightenment there'll be no stopping me...........................................
  • Padawan
    Govtfunded

What are u studying?

Welcome IronYank

Helen Pells = HellsBells ?!?
  • Sound engineering and production, try and get a name from that!

Padawan and Govtfunded made me laugh!

I think HellsBells is great for Helen! Let's hope she's an AC/DC fan image
  • Lewis11 wrote (see)
    I actually have my next loan going in on Monday, please don't tempt me gastank image

Lewis - Gastank and I are going to the bike show tomorrow - come with us and we'll help you with some shopping - go on, you know you want to......image