Fatman to Ironman

Comments

• Oh the dreaded man flu, well done to the younger bruv holgs. Good training going on,and good racing cat.

I'm hoping to take the TT out for its maiden voyage tomorrow, spent the evening fitting cadence sensors, bottle holders for kit and profile bottle, all ready i think. Just got to find a decent engine to push it
  • You'll have plenty of company in the water at Bolton Tim so you should go like a fish image

Still no running for me either Cat, will just do the 2 hour session on Sunday and thats it for this week.

47 miler on the bike planned for tomorrow, looks like its going to be the nicest day of the year so far image

Sounds like theres lots going on this weekend so have fun folks image
  • Have had an arsey couple of days.  Planned my long ride for yesterday, but had a mechanical glitch with the bike, so had to take it to LBS.  They fixed it no problem (I have got to do a maintenance course) but by then i didn't have time to get the ride in, so I turboed instead.  Then planned to bike to the pool this morning (12 miles each way) but woke up with a nasty sore throat and sniffly nose, so I took some drugs and drove to the pool. Still managed 2.5k swim, so  all was not lost.

• Good training all !!

I did manage a swim earlier today and then I did the 3rd of 4 run technique sessions which was concentrating on arms this time .. my arms are usually quite happy dangling by my sides !

Am on nights now for 3 nights so I shall miss most of the weekend being asleep but if someone can put a fiver on Seabass for me i'd be most obliged  image

• Good training all !!I did manage a swim earlier today and then I did the 3rd of 4 run technique sessions which was concentrating on arms this time .. my arms are usually quite happy dangling by my sides !Am on nights now for 3 nights so I shall miss most of the weekend being asleep but if someone can put a fiver on Seabass for me i'd be most obliged  image

• Did 33m on the bike this morning, 2,200 feet of climb.  Bloody hard work, went up over the local mountain (Blorenge, the Tumble for anyone around here!), and hated it.  

Beginning to doubt whether I should even be trying the Blaenavon Triathlon (hills even worse than I did today), maybe it'd do me better training-wise entering an Oly instead around the same time. Only been road biking 10 months ... lack of experience showing today.

Oh, and fell off twice after stopping for breather on the hills.  

• Dimtim - please don't give up! Keep at it, this is typically one of those times of year when it's hard too keep focus, lack of tris as the season has properly started Etc etc, biking is very blue collar as training goes so just keep focusing on it.... It will be warm soon too and riding in the lovely warm sun is one of the best feelings even, best of luck mate!
  • Yep, crack on Tim, need my wing man at Grafham & Bolton!

Did a 49 miler today, no extreme hills for me, Norfolk isnt exactly mountainous. My mate i went with fell off at a junction when he couldnt unclip which was quite amusing.

Lovely day though. Be shaving the legs and wearing shorts soon image
  • I ran today. 8km without too many issues. Wet trails are firming up, some soft bits here and there but not wet through. Shorts and t-shirt and sunnies.

Then I washed both cars still in shorts image

We had a house viewing today too. The estate agent turned up with a couple, completely unannounced. Our house was a shit-tip too. We'll be having words on Monday...

• Sossige ... I have fallen off my bike on numerous occaisions and none of them whilst moving.   traffic lights are bastards   image

• He's a former NFL player, so probably not famous to the people in this thread, but Hines Ward is training for Kona as part of a promotion.  They show him clip in for the first time and he falls right over.  So if a speedy athletic NFL player can fall off while clipped in, anyone can image

• IY - I think I saw that advertised on the kona world champs from last year isn't for some chocolate milk company or something.... Bleeding yanks get all the best competitions!
  • As mentioned on the Challenge Henley thread, I've come back from a surprisingly sunny Cornwall having picked up yet another fecking cold image  I am now finallu feeling like I'm getting rid of it all. Today I've spent an hour and a half gardening, but felt very wobbly afterwards. Resting HR is usually 55-60, and is currently languishing in the low 70's so I know I'm *still* not 110 % image

I think I will have lost about 5 weeks training by the time I get back into it (that is, if it's this week!) so am having to seriously think about Henley and whether I should drop down to the Half, otherwise I'll be playing catch-up too much. Yes i know I have a base fitness which I shouldn't have lost too much of, but going from 0 to IM in 20/22 weeks may be too much of an ask ?

Right, more weeds and brambles await me, then a sit down with the end of the Paris-Roubaix image

• Glad to hear you're on the mend Frag.  Only you really know what you can achieve in that time frame, but I'd say don't give up on the full IM just yet.  Suppose it also depends on whether you're going for compete or complete.

• Frags ... You are not at true '0', you have base fitness and experience behind you with only a relatively short set back

Rest, recover & reassess in a positive mind frame later
  • I know Melds, but also trying to be realistic as well image  - would rather try and do the Half really well than struggle round the full (and yes I know it's a struggle when fully fit anyway!)

3 hours of gentle gardening has knackered me out now, but the garden is slightly more weed free and I've made some vitamin D image

• Isca Duathlon done, dead chuffed, time was 1:17 which put me 36th out of 102 finishers.  My first ever duathlon.  Second run was HARD!

• Frags - what Meldy said. She is right (damn it!).

Nice one Tim. Get cramp on the second run?

• DimTimTris wrote (see)

Did 33m on the bike this morning, 2,200 feet of climb.  Bloody hard work, went up over the local mountain (Blorenge, the Tumble for anyone around here!), and hated it.  

Beginning to doubt whether I should even be trying the Blaenavon Triathlon (hills even worse than I did today), maybe it'd do me better training-wise entering an Oly instead around the same time. Only been road biking 10 months ... lack of experience showing today.

Oh, and fell off twice after stopping for breather on the hills.  

DimTimTris, Blaenavon is a bugger of a course but definitely doable.  You're lucky you know what it's like, I've met a few people on the day who are rather surprised by it image.  It's a great one be able to say you've done though (and you get a lovely buffet at the end).  On the day adrenaline will get you up them hills...honest!

• Cat ... Meldy is always right    image

• Listen her ^^^,

Park run yesterday and 40 miles on the bike this morning with Horse, it was sunny this morning but fekin freezing, :-[ well done to the person who invented overshoes image
  • M...eldy wrote (see)

Cat ... Meldy is always right    image

And don't we know itimageimage

11km run this morning. I have had the best part of the day.

• G'day all

A bit of a rest week for me last week ... and yes it was planned ... very little in the way of training

Did  few short run / walks and a daily workout DVD

Back into trainng tonite image

• Pingu, thanks for that.  Yeah, I'll stick with Blaenavon, still 4 weeks to get some more hill training in. 30th anniversary this year, so there's cake promised...!

• Morning all, feeling much much more postitive today you'll be pleased to know. Physically feeling better day by day, I can now actually see myself out on my bike before the week is up image

down in Cornwall I had the delight of visiting the lovely people at Snugg and being measured for a new wetsuit (hopefully a go-faster one). Just about everything was measured, which was interesting image  got some gloves too, and he's making me a made to measure hat (ie pinhead sized!) so when the lake opens in 3 weeks I should be 'warm' imageimage  can't wait image

• fraggle - glad to hear you are feeling betterimage

did the Sussex half marathon yesterday - well, race walked it because I still can't really run much, but was only 10 minutes slower than last year when I ran itimage, so my running is rubbish but my fitness isn't too bad

• Fraggle - I was out with the guys from Tri2O yesterday - they told me the lake is currently 5 degrees!! So I hope you wetsuit is extra warm!!

• flippin 'eck Raf image  make that a June outing for the wettie then image