Fatman to Ironman

Comments

• M...eldy wrote (see)

That is because you are well practiced !

I was carb loading ahead of my race this weekend..????? image

And my new race wheels have not arrived from Planet X - not a happy puppy image

• Morning all

I went for a run first thing ... only a short one (2.1mile)  to test my calf ...and all seems ok .. didnt feel any pain image

I wont be rushing back into long runs and I'm at the physio again later ... but thing seem to be on the up image

• Thats good news Will, don't push it too early. 

• Good news Will.

Had a bit of a gentle week this week post-Grafman (3 swims and an hour on the bike), but feeling ready to get back into it now, a longish run later then a 5 hour bike tomorrow and 2 hour run Sunday.  

Weather looking shite.  Best of luck to anyone racing Exmoor this weekend, that's looking to be a soggy one.

• HannahB wrote (see)

Yeah...my only worry. I will be training all of August in Jamaica though, my hope is that that will both prepare me for Miami and leave me with a fantastic tan with which to wow all the Brits as the week after I head to the UK...my cunning plan mwahahahha

image Plently of rum training then as well? Be warned I once spent a couple of weeks in bermuda and really struggled with training with the heat and humidity. Make sure you have some water handy even if your doing a short run. Enjoy!!!image

• Well its official. My whole department is being closed between now & Q1.image

Tough staying motivated at work let alone training at the minute.

That being said, OWS followed by a 10k @10am club run tomorrow image

• Sorry to hear that Andy. Any word on the offshore gig?

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear this SD my sister is in the same position and I've yet to hear from another friend who I think also finds out today.

• Tough news SD.

Long bike for me today.  Bad day in the saddle.
    Having done my long run yesterday, my legs were moaning today but I told them to shut up and got on the bike.  Plan was for 80 miles.  Seemed to be going ok initially, but by the time I got to 60 miles my back/hip was teeth-grittingly sore.  I did another 10 miles to get me home, but I just couldn't make the extra 10 mile loop I'd planned to add on the end.
    So then I had the wee demon of self-doubt whispering in my ear, "you'll never make it round an ironman".  I told him to f*ck off.  Today gets marked down to experience and next week will be a different ride.  Ho-hum.

I also forgot to put any chamois cream on this morning.  Ouch image

• Sorry SD.  As of 5pm yesterday I'm in the same boat with my department being "rightsized" to meet the ongoing downturn in our market here in the UK.  Sneeky so and so's have announced the move just in time (ie the day before) for one of the girls to miss out on any Mat' Leave pay....

Thankfully I do have an option to take a pay off which will keep a roof over my head for a little while.

Oh well.  Every cloud and all that.

• Rafiki wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)

That is because you are well practiced !

I was carb loading ahead of my race this weekend..????? image

And my new race wheels have not arrived from Planet X - not a happy puppy image

and my new bike hasnt arrived yet either .... then again I havent ordered one, i still reserve the right to be not happy

Some tough news out there at the moment guys, I am of the mind that met with positivity that fate will lend a hand

Will, do not go overdoing it at this stage

Nursey, keep the faith.

• Thanks. No news on the offshore job IY. I think that ones gone. Still, its focussed my mind on the direction i want to go so this may all be a blessing in disguise.

I assume your sister & friend work for the same large local employer as me then Ali?

Bitter pill for me is we sent all this work offshore before, got rid of good people, then had to bring all the work back because offshore mucked it all up. Taken us 3 years to sort it all out & now in their wisdom its all going again, lol. Thats the problem when you  let the bean counters call all the shots grrr. Apologies, rang over.

sorry to hear that ID. The mat girl should look to seek some advice there. Maybe play the unfair/constructive dismissal card & see if they get windy over potential adverse publicity.

• Sorry that you guys are all having this bad news about workimage I had been thinking of maybe going back to the UK soon but looks as though I should wait it out a while longer.

Cake wrote (see)

image Plently of rum training then as well? Be warned I once spent a couple of weeks in bermuda and really struggled with training with the heat and humidity. Make sure you have some water handy even if your doing a short run. Enjoy!!!image

I'm useless in the heat but have just signed up for the MiamiMan in November so Jamaica will probably be the best thing ever - I should get a bit more used to it!

• Thanks SD.  Thanksfully the lady in question will get a ok'ish redundancy although the mat leave issue is cut and dry...

As for me, I'll take the cash and have a think about what to do next.  I may take a few months off to spend some time with the toddler and OH.  Interestingly we have discussed selling up and using the equity in our house to "have a bit of fun" for a while.

Anyway, speaking of the toddler, at this rate, I'm going to be late taking my 2.5 year old to his swimming lesson.

• I've just been to the village hog roast and

STUFFED

MY

FACE

Too early to count as carb-loading for Outlaw ... ?

• A woman after my own heart! How you doin' Mrs D?

• All good Nursey. Kicking it on well now, all coming together. Oly in Aug and HIM in Sept. Building to the main feature slowly. You feeling good for July?

• Nice work Nursey ... its never too early to carb load in my opinion !

• Spit roasts are very beneficial for female triathletes image

• Someone, somewhere on the forums, asked fairly recently what an iron sherpa does. I was looking for the thread to send a link to my friend, who'll be sherpa for Partner in Crime, but I can't find the post. Ring any bells with anyone?

• Search for what is a Sherpa... Haven't worked out how to do links on here yet! 

it's on 2nd page of search

• Some events require a run support, such as the Celtman i believe. would an iron sherpa carry some of your kit? Wild guess, probably way off.

i will be needing a sherpa to carry me round the run in Bolton. After yesterdays 10k i now have a swollen right ankle with a very bad pain running down the front of my shin to ankle. feels like the tendonites inhad in the left foot recently.

so, no more running again For the foreseeable future. Not good with 7 weeks to go. Honestly, if i could get my money back on IMUK & the accomodation thats paid for  i would be postponing the event for this year. Training has been a disaster since the Marathon. 

It will now have to be a case of swimming and biking as quick as i can then just walking the marathon by the looks. A just finish strategy now.image

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

sorry to hear that sossigedog, hope the ankle recovers enough that you can do some running at Bolton even if you can't do much in the lead up. 7 weeks is a while, fingers crossed for you.

It was you after all that started this thread which has been a great inspiration and helped me make up my mind to start ironman training, I'm not an ironman yet but i'm no longer a Fatman image

• That's rough SD. But Honk has a point - your body can do a lot of healing in 7 weeks. Fingers crossed for you.

I had my first Outlaw dream last night - a nightmare. However, I am now completely confident and very calm about the swim because there is no way it could be anywhere near as horrendous as that dream. 

• What a day in the USA!  My first ever podium in a division.  I was second in the Clydesdale division (200 pounds and up) while PR'ing by 15 minutes in the Detroit Motor City Olympic!  That includes swimming in 1-2 foot chop which I've never faced.  I also set a 10K PR during the event.  Can't ask for a much better day! 

• IY that's just fantastic, congrats!