Finishers T-shirt VLM

Comments

• Maybe it's cos the men smelt worse than the ladies when they finished image

• By the time it takes me to run a marathon my legs need shaving so i'd be happy with the razor.

• Blimey, mens deodorant and moisturiser in a bag given to women !

I can't see any warnings on the deodorant or moisturiser saying, 'Not to be used on females', but there is however a warning on the 'Eat Natural' bar about food sensitivity and allergy advice.

I notice that nobody has mentioned that perhaps the nuts shouldn't be in there because of the danger of a severe allergic reaction, or that the beer shouldn't be there tempting anyone into alcoholism.

Heaven forbid one of us might be crazy enough to run rampage through the finish area with safety razor in hand shaving off eyebrows, but yet no mention here of the dangers of sharp instruments.

Just to finish off, on taking a closer look at my goodie bag contents, why did I and not you get a Mithchum>> Advanced Control, 48hr Protection, Shower Fresh spray FOR WOMEN ?
    The warning is about Solvent Abuse, not a word telling me not to use it because I am male.

Familiar with the Velominati? Rule 5 Applies!
  • Emmy_bug wrote (see)

Just my two cents (posted from my rant on FB):

VLM Organisers; what do you have against women in your goody bags and finisher packet? MALE shower gel, MALE creams, MALE swim cap. If you're offering a packet - it should cater for both genders. What percentage of runners were female for you to feel like you exclude them? Where's the equality in that? Big Fail.The bag from RW was more decent than the the VLM one. The VLM goody bag contained:
    - Bottle of Lucozade
    - Bottle of Adidas sports gel
    - Men's deoderant
    - Men's swim cap
    ... - pack of salt
    - Nivea for men moisturiser
    - Basmati Rice
    - Nutri Grain bar
    - Wilkinsons sword male razor
    - London Pride Beer
    - 3 bags of nuts

You got all that in your bag?  I missed out on the swim cap and 2 of those three bags of nuts and would have had use for them.  And I'm a man, too.

On the topic of entrance fees.  For some years now, I've been of the mind that London should double their entrance fee for a few years now.  'Serious' marathoners pay upwards of £56 for city marathons, up to $280 for New York, and even further beyond whereas one-off charity runnners are immune from the particular entrance cost entirely.  

I wouldn't even mind what they did with the difference.  They could use the extra £28 to subsidise the guaranteed charity place, give us a technical shirt, facilitate more entrants, increase the administration staff or even give the volunteers a nicer goody bag.  On the marathon calendar, it remains a peculiar anomoly that they could easily correct without much fuss from anyone.  It certainly would make a dent on the oversubscribed ballot or to the enormous donations charity runners require.

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    The swim cap was in the RW goody bag, and at least one of the bags of nuts were in there as well. With the RW bags, because you were paying for them, you could specify whether you wanted a male or a female swimming cap, so Emmy_bug was just unlucky not to ask.
  • Even without a T-shirt or goody bag, the London Marathon is fantastic value. So what if it doesn't fit? Sell it on E-bay. Just goes to show that some people will complain about anything.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Nykie - they didnt give me an option. I was just thrust it.

@Tre4 - Nope - didnt get any female deoderant.... no female products at all. I agree about the nuts though -Liverbird mentioned that previously that they should have been more cautious.

I wouldnt have minded not having a goodie bag - all I want when I finish is a bottle of water and a banana. Having to carry it around after i'm done was not the best thing for me.

Lady Wot Jogs wrote (see)

By the time it takes me to run a marathon my legs need shaving so i'd be happy with the razor.

Now you mention it my legs do feel a bit hairy image

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Emmy_bug, I just happened to go to the RW stand when it wasn't busy, so they asked someone next to me, so I asked when it was my turn.

• In the races I have done in Barcelona, you put your required shirt size on your application form.
    When you pick up your number at the Expo, the shirt size you requested is on the envelope your number is in. You then go straight across and pick up your tee shirt in the requested size. all very straight forward and everyone gets the size the asked for. 

• Paris is the same Scooby, but they're commemorative t-shirts not finishers ones.

Berlin race entry is £40 then you have to pay another £30 or so for a finishers t-shirt then pick it up at the Expo before the race.  

• A reasonable Technical  T-Shirt would cost VLM  about £2.00 extra per person roughly. If enough complain then perhaps they would look in to it?, or perhaps it could be an option when sighning up?. I'd pay £2.00 more for a decent shirt that fits about right and that can be used for running.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Can't really complain about the T-shirt as they fit perfectly being a male, 'L' -  but will echo the sentiments that for £30 odd quid the VLM remains by a considerable distance the best value (big) race on the calendar.
    I think the reason they don't have a selection is purely a matter of logistics: its easier to put one in the bag. Pre ordering? possible but then you'd need yet another set of funnels to pass at the finish.
    Give them out at the expo? perhaps, but is it better to get one after the race?

Not sure who said they used to do technical tees, but I must've missed those. Done 8 Londons over 17 years and they have all been cotton.

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Well, you must have missed them because the 2007 and 2008 ones were technical ones.  One was black with simple white lettering (on both sides too!), and one was white with red and black.  There was a load of moaning when the last Flora one went back to being cotton in 2009.

If you want one, you can buy very nice technical ones at their expo or shop, in the size you want.  There's no need to make the rest of us pay for it.

• The biggest problem I can see with the VLM entry price is that people judge OTHER races unfavourably by the price they pay for this one.

I'd put it up to a hundred quid.

• I like the t-shirt better than I expected Im a size 12-14 larger chested lady and it is a comfortable fit and much better in comparison to the thin white cotton one I got at the Cardiff half (only xl left as 'allegedly spectators had been collecting goody bags before the slower of us got round) and at the Wilmslow half the other week nice technical t but they ran out of goody bags before I finished (a few hundred of us missed out I think)

From the shirts I have got at other races this is the only one that isnt see through!

As for the rest of the goody bags its "free" stuff based on what companies supply the razor is actually very good as Id forgotten to pack mine and the ice gel things were amazing used one when I got back to the hotel and one the next morning before I left to attempt the stairs to the tube

• That black technical tee they did a few years back was goddamn awful.
    The white one was nice though - I still use it today.
    The black one was an awful cut. Not what you expect with adidas sponsoring kit ?
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    It depends on your body shape cougie.  Adidas kit generally doesn't fit my shape.
  • I am in shape. It's just mine is round.image
  • I still use the white technical one. Well, that is the only one that sort of fits me (not really but it doesn't look like a tent)

No, the Tshirt size is not gonna change no matter how many people complains. Fact.

• Someone is selling a VLM carrier bag on Ebay for 99p plus three quid P&P!

You've got to love a cheeky bastard.image

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

Someone is selling a VLM carrier bag on Ebay for 99p plus three quid P&P!

You've got to love a cheeky bastard.image

Anyone selling their race medals yet?

Who BUYS these things?! It's not like it would fool anyone, they can check for finish time and photos on the website.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I'm not in it for the goody bags and T shirts. VLM is the best day you can have out for ~£30, and the nearest to experiencing the Tour De France type crowds that many of will get to race in. 

Entry is optional and theres lot of other folks that would gladly have a place.

• I like the t.  A little big for me but the quality and design is so much better than 2006 which was super cheap white with green and yellow (on white?) lettering, in XL.  Most race ts end up in the bin anyway.

As to the goody bag contents, the deodorant is unisex, most women have nicked their man's razor at some point and I know many women who drink beer.  But, there was a packet of rice in there and everyone knows that cooking is wimmin's work image (joke, before I get a kicking)

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    ahh thanks tmap that explains the tees...since 2000, done 01 02 04 10 &12  (I think) . The others were last century....
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

love the idea that if we all complain they will do a different t-shirt next year!

The t-shirt is a bit big yes - and the medal is a bit Jim'll Fix It - but they were freebies! I'm happy enough with that. Not a big part of the marathon experience IMO.

• xine267 wrote (see)

Who BUYS these things?! It's not like it would fool anyone, they can check for finish time and photos on the website.

Collectors.  There's a bunch of people out there who have a medal from every year.  To satisfy their OCD, or to maintain the value of the set depending on your POV, they need a new one every year.

I wouldn't sell mine, but otherwise I'm with TR, it's a great day out and the tshirt is irrelevant to that.