Liverpool Half Marathon 2013

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Alan - I got the latest email and it mentions donating old running shoes.

Which is the Equator Building, is it in the new Black Glass building?

• Not run this since 2005 (in fact I think that's the last time I ran a half). It was a quick, but different course back then, starting and finishing in Sefton (which was ace). Couple of quick questions:

- Way back then Runner's World employed some pacers to run at various speeds so people could aim to keep up with one appropriate to their target time. Do they still do this/will they be doing it this year?

- Do you get much a headwind coming down the prom etc back into town?

- Any particular areas on the course where bit of conjestion is likely (apart from the start) e.g. the underpass before Otterspool Park?

• It's the glass section between the two black buildings on Mann Island.

Concerend about the number of people who haven't entered and have openly stated they will just run anyway. If anyone sees people running without numbers please encourage them to get off the course before they are removed along the last mile.

It's unfair on everyone who has legitimately paid to take part and as we have sold out this year these people still take T shirts and medals and use water on the course and those at the back tend to lose out. It's just not on.

There will be signs at the start and on the approach to the last mile advising unofficial runners about the security team in place who will remove them if they attempt to reach the finish line.

I don't want unofficial runners spoiling it for everyone else.

• Cakes - you can get a headwind coming back down the river - depends on the way the wind blows - but its fairly common. Find a big bloke to run behind.
  • Nervous and excited about Sunday now.  This will be my second half marathon after running my first in Liverpool in 2011.  Ran it in 2:13:54 so hoping to just equal that.  Training seems to have gone fine this time bar my last long run last week of 11 miles.  Felt fine until the last mile when i tired.  Don't know if it was because i had run 4 miles the previous night or it was just one of those days.  All my other long runs felt fine.  Going to take it easy the first few miles on Sunday and hope it helps me near the last few miles.  Do people do much this week?  Was going to do just 2 x 2 miles myself.

• Cheers Cougie I'll see what I can do.

Saw mention earlier on the thread of there maybe being a video of the course made available so everyone could have a look at it...did this end up happening?

• I think Bay TV will be along on the day but not sure of the extent of the filming. May only be the start and finish.

• Ah ok. I thought this was something being done in advance i.e. so runners can have a look at the course (I appreciate there's a map and google).

• Good luck Niall Carroll. I'm the same as you, excited/nervous in equal measures. It's my first half marathon, done 5k's/10'ks before but nothing like this. Aiming for under 1.40 and I'd be ecstatic. But to get under 1.50 would satisfy me considering two months ago I didn't think I'd be fit enough to compete.

Training has gone fairly well, ran 10 and 11 mile runs respectively on successive Sundays and last Sunday was a 9 mile run at average 7.45mins per mile pace. Planning to do 4/5 miles tonight and then a lighter 3/4 miles on Thursday and just do a bit of gym work in-between to keep ticking over.

Very unfair that some will run regardless of no entry - I know it's not the organisers fault in some way, just hope that those who do get picked off.

• Good luck Niall Carroll. I'm the same as you, excited/nervous in equal measures. It's my first half marathon, done 5k's/10'ks before but nothing like this. Aiming for under 1.40 and I'd be ecstatic. But to get under 1.50 would satisfy me considering two months ago I didn't think I'd be fit enough to compete.

Training has gone fairly well, ran 10 and 11 mile runs respectively on successive Sundays and last Sunday was a 9 mile run at average 7.45mins per mile pace. Planning to do 4/5 miles tonight and then a lighter 3/4 miles on Thursday and just do a bit of gym work in-between to keep ticking over.

Very unfair that some will run regardless of no entry - I know it's not the organisers fault in some way, just hope that those who do get picked off.

• Good luck to you as well Seedy.

• Second one for me too, my time was 2.05 last year so hoping to beat that, under 2 hours and id be over the moon.

I wouldnt worry about getting tired at late on, its so different on the day running with a huge crowd to running when training, much better atmosphere and I find this tends to take my mind of my knackered legs. Good luck eveyone not long now!! On a side note Id feel like a right numpty running with no entry!

• You can ignore the gun Peter. Your timing strip activates as you pass over the line. You will hear lots of beeps as the chip is picked up by the timing device. Just make sure you DO go over it! And at the end too.

There are sometimes timing strips out on course as well but I have no idea if Alan has put any in this year.

And remember to start your watch too if you're wearing one!

• Another daft question, is it recommended to pin the number to your running top? Just worried that I'll do this and the number will rip as I go along and come off. Is taping it up okay or will that affect the chips?

• Tape is bound to come off. Pins are the way to go. Pin it on to the vest as you wear it and that way there isn't any way it could be stretched further and rip.

Oh and it's the front of the vest. Every race I do I see some brave soul thinking they have it the right way and it's the other 99.99% that are clearly wrong.
  • Split time at 10K just at the top exit in Sefton park.

• Looking forward to this one and looking forward to meeting up with a friend from the West coast of Ireland who's also running. Been tapering from 14 miles during the last couple of weeks and now just have a couple of 3 milers before the race to keep loose. First time starter in this one and looking to beat 2 hours for the first time. Ran 2:02 twice before in the Royal Parks and Fleetwood and hopefully the combination of crowds and music will spur me on. Good luck to everyone taking part.

• Nervously checking the weather forecast every day. Don't want headwind like a few years back for last 3 miles on prom. Last 2 been OK.

What weather have you ordered this year Alan?

• weather same as last year would be fantastic if you can arrange it Alan!

• I have put in a request for the finest weather conditions you could imagine! Just been down on the prom and it was fine.

• Just checked myself.... it says sunny with a max of 6degrees.

Happy Days!

• ...says light rain on my app.image

• love rain, dont mind a bit of a breeze, dont like heat! image

• mine does now Gaz !

No doubt it will have changed tomorrow!

• My bag is packed! In a few hours I'll be hopping on the plane. Woo hoo! I can't believe the time is finally here!

• Ran this in 2011 and the weather was perfect.  Not a breeze on the prom that day!

• Travlin Chick - have a safe journey and a great run on Sunday.