Liverpool Half Marathon 2013

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Seedy-re reference point- I looked up and kept an eye on how near the Liverbirds were....
  • Glad that the limit will stay at 8,000 that seems right.  Wouldn't be happy to pay any more on the entry fee for an energy drink or a choccy bar I think its expensive enough as it is, not that i'm moaning as all halfs are about this cost now, so it is on a par.  Personally I wouldn't mind the option of a reduced entry fee by making the t shirts and medals optional.  I have far too many as it is, I know a lot of people run races for the rewards but for some it gets to a point where you have no interest or space for the bloomin things anymore! 

• Great race! Thanks to the pasta dinner the night before, I was able to meet up with a local runner at the start and we coincidentally stayed fairly close together the whole race. I wouldn't have gotten a pb but I probably would have had my second best time had it not been for an emergency bathroom stop betweens miles 8 and 9, with about 4 minutes of lost time due to the queue. A second toilet might have helped. I was absolutely shocked at the number of men who stopped on the side of the road less than a mile into the race to pee. This happens in races all the time, but that many that early? I'd never seen anything like it.

One question: why use water bottles? Seems like quite a waste. Runners take one sip then toss the bottle to the ground in most cases. I'm used to small paper cups -- less water and plastic waste all around. I also wish there had been maybe one or two more water stops so there wasn't such a huge gap between them. I ended up hanging onto the bottle I grabbed at the second water stop just in case (and because I felt bad wasting another one), but holding onto something while running is annoying. It was also incredibly hard to get out of the chute at the end of the race because the spectators were jammed up against it, looking for friends and family. The start was great though -- I'm used to spending the first mile or two dodging slower runners, but for the most part people seemed to choose their starting gates wisely.

My complaints are minor in an otherwise wonderful race! It was my first time running in another country, and I rather enjoyed the camaraderie of the Liverpool crowd. Excellent work.

• I agree with water in cups, there is an awful lot of waste, its shameful.  That would cut the cost to free up some more money for a choccy bar at the finish.  Snickers are only 4 for a quid in B&M bargains!!  As for more water stops, surely not, 4 is more than enough especially in March!  Just saying image

• Cups don't work very well in typical conditions. Filling is a nightmare they blow away before you can pour the water in.

Bottles are much more convenient - I didn't take any water so my carbon footprint was fine. image
  • Totally disagree about water. Cups are worse than useless unless you are willing to stop to drink, which most people aren't. We had a banana at end which is the best food we could have to refuel. Baggage buses were 50m from finish line so if people wanted food immediately afterwards they could have brought it with them!
  • I thought this race was fantastic, wouldn't change a thing ! Amazing course, knocked over ten mins off my pb, probably due to the efficiency of the start area, I was over the start line in well under a minute thanks to everyone being in the correct time pens so it was a fast start !

Didn't take any water myself, I agree there's a lot of waste from bottles but maybe people take too many and this isn't necessary ?? and with regards to sports drinks I think people should bring their own gels or drinks if they need it, don't think half marathons really require it in my opinion ! Lovely medal, enjoyed the banana and great t shirt which you can actually use unlike the very expensive bupa races which give you a crap cotton t shirt which you can't even exercise in !!!

Definitely entering this race again, well done to everyone who organised it and took part !
  • The last few comments encapulate my problem. I can't please everyone all the time so I would say the arrangements we have in place will remain and then you know what you are working with for next year.

• Amazing event.

My first Half Marathon and I really enjoyed it. First 10 miles seemed to flash by really quickly. However the last 3 were agony due to an excruciating stitch! Very pleased to get a time of 1:42 as my target was to get under 1:50.

The start seemed really well organised and finishing in front of a big crowd by the Liver Buildings was a great feeling.

Will definitely be entering again next year. 

• Interesting true life confession just reveived from an unofficial entry transfer (male running under a female number) which has affected the team results. Now we will have to disqualify the team in question and amend the results.

This is part of the reason why we don't allow entry transfers.

Different coloured male / female numbers next year I think.

• I know you cant please everyone, but its great to hear peoples opinions, that's what these forums are for.  I'll probably be entering again next year, cos I love Liverpool and I got a big PB so whats not to like!

• gareth harrison wrote (see)

Thanks for your thoughts Liverbird, I've never organised anything like this, so I'm a little in the dark. The only other experience I have of this is the great north run, where 50000 people seem to be sharing fewer toilets and ive only ever seen one or two people queuing for loos at gun time. Of course, there's the bank at the side of the start line too, which doesn't really bear mentioning...

I did actually get approached (whilst in the loo queue) by someone asking where to get replacement numbers - this was at 8:55.....

As someone who DROPPED her pants on that famous hill at the start of the GNR with everyone else, I know exactly where you meanimage

cougie wrote (see)
    Aah yes the great north bushes. Very handy.
    Top witching there LB. now if you could focus your attentions on getting adoring started please ?
    I did see you and shouted your (real name) but you were too busy being fabulous to come and see me image
    Well done on a good run Cougs!

• Cheers LB - someone cheered me on just before the finish - was it you ? I didn't get chance to look - do could just wave in the general direction.

Great organising !
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

That was me I think, I know she's got a deep voice but really...

• Aah cheers for that - I think all my blood had gone to the legs - vision and hearing shutting down - that last mile seemed awfully long and wiggly ! Did you have a good day out Mr P ?
  • Entries have just opened for 2014. How efficient is that? Race limit will be 8,000 again. It won't increase next year as some parts of the course are too tight at the current level so I think we have reached a natural capacity.

Entries will close when 8,000 is reached. You have been warned.

• James Brooker is already in and I think he is one of the ever presents having done all 20 so far.

Well done James!!image

• One of the Dutch lads obviously enjoyed last Sunday, he's just signed up straight away!!

• Just entered there myself.  Looking forward to it already!

I think i will do the Wirral 10k or half as well if it goes ahead.

• Wirral Half Marathon is going ahead (October 13th) and should be open shortly. Can't let the entire original marathon day go to waste. image

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    Aah cheers for that - I think all my blood had gone to the legs - vision and hearing shutting down - that last mile seemed awfully long and wiggly ! Did you have a good day out Mr P ?

Yes indeed, I really enjoy watching this race, I have done it a couple of times but it's Mrs P's event really.

• It was a great race Alan & I'm looking forward to entering the 2014 race (once I've got the money, again, after I get the money to enter the Port Sunlight 10k).  I'm glad that the race will keep the limit rather than just increasing entry numbers to swell the coffers....great decision which shows btr is run by runners rather than buisnessmen. 

My only gripes with the race were the section of cobbles behind the Abert Dock which I found impossible to run on (& ended up tucking in behind a slower runner on the paving slab path).  That, and a couple of bottlenecks on the prom were the only hitches, and they probably wouldn't have been as much of an issue if I'd started in the right pen (but that's my fault as I'd messed up training & had no idea what I was capable of, so started near the back (7:30mins after the start).  I still managed to get a PB by over 4mins, so it obviously didn't affect me that much. 

Loved the shiny 'bling' medal & the cadets were fantastic in the funnel (and on the course).  I've loved all the RunLiverpool/btr event's I've done so far & look forwward to many more!

• degsy-m-degsy-m- ✭✭✭
    I'll be entering the Wirral Half in October!! Sure it will be another great event.
  • Xabidood - we don't have an alternative way back to the Pier Head from King's Parade I'm afraid so we are stuck with what we have. Taking runners back on to the main road cuts off any residential access to the Albert / wapping Docks so will not be considered. (See marathon cancellation as a prime example!!)

As I mentioned earlier the course is at capacity in certain areas (including the promenade) so that is why entries are being restricted to 8,000 once again in 2014. The enjoyment of runners taking part is parmount and this particular course is now officially operating at capacity. 

• AlanRothwell wrote (see)

Different coloured male / female numbers next year I think.

I've done races that print the runners name on the number (and not just expensive ones either)- I wonder if that would put people off transferring? I suppose whatever system you do you'd have to make it clear that you were going to do it as I think a lot of the transfers are organised before race packs are sent out. 

The horrible alternative is that you make people pick up numbers the day before with ID but that would be a lot of extra work (and cost), and would probably work out as more expensive than allowing transfers.

I reckon I'll be back next year, but won't enter until closer just in case I ditch running/ get injured/ decide to go on holiday

• I think different coloured numbers would be sufficient. I think with the 8,000 limit being imposed next year in advance of the day it will help with the management of the entries much earlier in the calendar.

By the way, you can never ditch running! It's like the Hotel Califonia.. you can check out but you can never leave...

• Forgot to say we're looking at names on numbers at the Port Sunlight 10K.

• degsy-m-degsy-m- ✭✭✭
    Like the names on numbers! Chester half does it image
  • I'm gonna be signing up shortly... I have some serious unfinished business after last weekend.

I had trained hard (Like many others) but unfortunately had flu the week before, so to run I dosed myself up. I did my best to run at target pace (1.22 - 1.23) finish (Running with winning female Linda Howell), but had to stop after 5 miles as I thought I was gonna die!

After a few minutes I got going again but only managed 1.28. Even though I beat my PB I'm gutted to miss out cos of some virus (I can't remember the last time I was ill!)

My race report here...

http://blog.atmosferik.com/post/Liverpool-half-marathon-2013.aspx

May do a 10k later in the year to keep me focussed - does the Port Sunlight 10k still have spaces? Really wanna get stuck in to training again!!!