PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Not to distract from all the brave souls heading out to Lanza next year but I wondered if there is an alternative outing planned?

Comments

• IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭

At the risk of getting in trouble from the Lanza folks *steps sideways while whistling innocently* I'd be curious too - I don't think I'd cope with the Lanza heat for my first IM so would be interested if there was a UK IM outing....

• DTB and I are considering Henley next year.......*makes note to ensure passport is up to date*

• ah nantwich image It will always have a special place in my heart - it was where I first met the pirates imageimage

• Looking at US races for 2013, LP/Canada/MT/Arizona.

Would love to do NZ but can't go that far for the race to be shortened, have been watching the new Los Cabos IM fill up today too as that caught my eye.

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Rosey we were looking at Arizona too. But in all honest, it may well be Challenge Henley for costs purposes...
  • JjJj ✭✭✭

I think Henley would be a splendid campaign. I might even be able to bicycle over with me pompoms by then! image

• purpletrilady wrote (see)

ah nantwich image It will always have a special place in my heart - it was where I first met the pirates imageimage

Me too!  It is getting so expensive it is almost the same price as an IM, so maybe we should just do that insteadimage

Not sure i'll attempt the full thing next year, I shall see how this year pans out first.  Henley sounds nice though...

• Well Henley's on my doorstep, so if you have any spare pompoms Jj, I'd happily give you a hand!

• They do a half IM too, so that might be an option for the triathlon-challenged (i.e. ME) hehehe. 

• Lanza is just too early in my season and too close to VLM too.

Henley sounds a challenge.

(YSWIDT?)
  • (YSWIDT = You See What I Did There?  )

anyway, Henley's on my local turf too - an I beleive Cat5 ?

• The thing I like about Henley (apart from cost and proximity factors) is that as it's later in the year, you can do the training in (theoretically) nice weather.....image

• There are a number of alternatives for next year, I guess its up to the individuals going to races to discuss, in previous years we've had a similar thread, opinions have been canvassed and a collective has seemed to form around one race.

As for choosing the Pirate Championship, we've tried to find races that will appeal and we've not done before and are top class events:

In previous years we've done:

2005 - IM Swizerland
    2006 - IM Germany
    2007 - IM Austria
    2008 - IM France
    2009 - IM Switzerland
    2010 - Challenge Roth
    2012 - IM Regensburg
    2013 - Outlaw

In addition smaller groups / individuals have done many other races

There is a new Ironman this year (IM Sweden), which could be a prospect for the Pirate Championships 2013, as could Challenge Henley which ive seen suggested.  Its also likely that Outlaw and Wales will be popular with some this year. 

The other contender and a personal favorite of mine is Lanza but understandably it doesnt appeal to everyone due to cost and its reputation. 

One question ive personally been battling with is whether Lanza is never deemed worthy of the Pirate Championship location due to its difficultly, cost?  In previous years we're gone with the majority decision or race with the highest participation. 

• Iron Rose wrote (see)

Looking at US races for 2013, LP/Canada/MT/Arizona.

Would love to do NZ but can't go that far for the race to be shortened, have been watching the new Los Cabos IM fill up today too as that caught my eye.

Rosey, Canada is on my consideration list next year. 

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

There are a number of alternatives for next year, I guess its up to the individuals going to races to discuss, in previous years we've had a similar thread, opinions have been canvassed and a collective has seemed to form around one race.

As for choosing the Pirate Championship, we've tried to find races that will appeal and we've not done before and are top class events:

In previous years we've done:

2005 - IM Swizerland
    2006 - IM Germany
    2007 - IM Austria
    2008 - IM France
    2009 - IM Switzerland
    2010 - Challenge Roth
    2012 - IM Regensburg
    2013 - Outlaw

In addition smaller groups / individuals have done many other races

There is a new Ironman this year (IM Sweden), which could be a prospect for the Pirate Championships 2013, as could Challenge Henley which ive seen suggested.  Its also likely that Outlaw and Wales will be popular with some this year. 

The other contender and a personal favorite of mine is Lanza but understandably it doesnt appeal to everyone due to cost and its reputation. 

One question ive personally been battling with is whether Lanza is never deemed worthy of the Pirate Championship location due to its difficultly, cost?  In previous years we're gone with the majority decision or race with the highest participation. 

Another thing im consious of it the different feel re attending UK based events vs flying to exotic overseas locations.  Im keen to avoid UK becoming a habit (we're in UK this year) as there is a whole differerent dimension when a whole group go away to foreign parts, stay in the same hotel etc etc.  It'll remain to be seem how the atmosphere compares at Outlaw this year but for me being abroad at a big ticket Ironman event adds a massive element to the whole 'Pirate Championship' thing. 

That said I certainly understand the financial/holiday pressures that many people face.

• Just to add to the general chatter:

Another complicating factor is the speed with which races sell out, I think the last edition of IMDE (Frankfurt) went within 8 hours, IM Austria is also a quick seller.  Which is understandable as they have teriffic levels of support.

IM Sweden is likely to be very expensive beer wise.

• Yep, Henley is on my doorstep. Considering the half this year as a warmdown. Unlikely I'll do the full distance after Outlaw until the kids are older.
  • I was wondering about getting a team of Pirates together for Mountain Mayhem!! Unfortunately this year's race is the weekend beofre outlaw otherwise I would have suggested it earlier.

http://www.wigglemountainmayhem.com/

Not quite the same as an Ironman, but usually a good weekend away! image

• You haven't seen me on this thread..............

But my Uncle and Aunt live 10 mins drive from IM Western Australia.............

• Henley seems the most popular choice so far along with Lanza though id guess the former will attract more people, also the benefit of not selling out quickly.

If we do a 2nd year in UK I think we should make an effort to commit to outside UK for 2014 and decide early, perhaps Sweden, France or maybe Austria?

We also need to consider that a lot of first timers may prefer to do an Ironman branded race as their first.

• ....and my brother owns two appartments by the finish line of IM Brazil..........

• Weren't Challenge Vichy desperate for us to go there??

• Funny enough .. I just mailed Barlos this morning before even seeing this thread

Lanza is perhaps not 'all inclusive' for many reasons be they first time nerves, second time nerves, out of school holidays and the financial implications

My vote for PSOF Champs 2013 goes to Henley, we have seen the Challenge get up before and its a good brand, we can get a discount for enough of us and its a 'doable' event for all the reasons Lanza isnt

We can have a special 'BOGOF' Awards for those that do the Lanza/Henley Double   image

Without the  <<cough>> traditional Bala vote this year I think we should go with the majority for the Champs 

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

I'd love to go away for the pirate experience.  But as has already been said, one problem is the speed at which things sell out.  Lanza is on the list but not for a few years as our busiest time is Jan through to May which makes training properly nearly impossible hence looking at Arizona as a possibility.  Canada is also a must do at some point.