PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• TBH I feel a little the same about Henley. It's a UK tri, so no big road trip feel to it, will not have a big expo, huge cheering crowds etc and there may not be thousands of pirates going so its up to us who are to make it what we want. If we scatter all over town, rock up at the last minute, head off first thing Monday it wont feel special, but if we take over a hotel or campsite, stivk together (within reason!!) eat and drink together before and after, it'll be great. 

We should sort out a date to recce the course together, do a few group events beforehand to take advantage of the fact its in the UK.

Do some or all of the above and I'll remember it as a great experience, which ultimately is what its about.

• I'm still in for Henley, from a financial perspective as much as anything, what Gladys said up there sound good tho! image
  • Indeed. - will have to put on a pirate BBQ at Fraggle towers image
  • Think I will sit on the fence for awhile longer, on the reserve list for Outlaw so possible, IMW appeals, If I decide to only do a 1/2 it will be Henley. As to 2014, Sweden appeals but I suspect the water is truly freezing, friends who have done Copenhagen says its cold, so back to Vichy but that was seriously hot this year. 

• Just an aside question as there already seems a lot thrown into the mix on this thread.  A load on here have been to IMCH. 

I'm trying to identify a 2013 european branded IM for a friend (image) that hasn't already sold out, what is their view on its value for money, atmosphere and level of difficulty?

• OK you folks.

I think that I've just got a pretty negative response from SWMBO regarding Outlaw, so I'm now looking at popping my Pirate cherry at Henley. The date seems Ok, the location seems OK. There are a couple of points that I'd like to address.
    -I can't see anywhere advising of the cost of the entry.
    -I'm seriously worried about having to swim in the Thames. Especially the uphill half. For a slowish swimmer a little bit of current would mean that I don't actually make it to the turn round point.
    -The website definitely says that "act of God and flood" mean that they keep your dosh. So if the river's going like a brown train, we lose & they win.

Nervous Newbie.

• VT'd.

I cant fault any of the European IM races ive done, Switzerland is a well organised event in a good location, very good support on the course.  Id say level of difficulty is about average.

Swim is in a lake Zurich which is nice and clear.  There are some good hills on the bike (The Beast, Heartbreak Hill and Egg) but theres some good fast down and the roads are extremely smooth so makes for faster speeds.  Aside from the hills (which are nothing much to worry about) there is about 15 miles of pan flat each lap (2 laps) and the rest of the course is gently undulating.  Run is flat and goes around town, along the lakeside so lots of support.

• Thanks Barley. My friend wants an IM brand for her first but can only commit to one during her summer holiday as she's a teacher. You answered my question spot on as usual.
  • Blisters, they would make it a Duathlon if the river was not safe. Not ideal but the same anywhere. Rivers a bit more prone, given currents and effluent/chemicals probably.

• Any idea of the cost of entry?

• The half was about ??150 this year so I guess double that ?
  • VT.....only over seas one I have done was IMCH and it was my first..........it was a lovely course.really beautiful and the lake was so clear......lovely for a fiorst attempt........image

I was suprised that they allow smoking in restuarants thoughimage

• Ay up gang got some info that might interest a few folks working out there A race next year. Was at a UK triathlon race yesterday and talking to one of there staff. They havn't finalized everything yet and ask us not to shut my mouth off on some of the details about what they are planning but there is a very good chance they might be announcing a race next week central uk wise. From what they said might be a good shout and if they do go with what they are talking about at the moment will be a cheapish race.

Got the e-mail for the person I was talking to and they have asked me to e-mail them once the race is properly out there as they might be able to do block booking discounts and very keen to have some of us rabble racing. Think the mischief of the likes of me, SA and co have been engrained into there nightmares. image The race should be finalized by next Monday or soon after. I'll stick a thread up once it is unless someone beats me to it.

• Blisters, re the swim. This year the current was good, and apart from one section, I dodn't notice much difference between up and downstream. I did do a river swim the other side of Henley (Shiplake) in the summer, and the current was much stronger :  it just took forever to get to the turnaround point, then you were back to the finish in no time.

there are several river swims and shorter distance tri's held over the summer locally, so there will be somewhere where you can try it out if you want to.

I don't think the full distance sold out this year - or if it did it was a last minute thing - so don't worry about entering the race as soon as it opens.

• just had an email to say that early bird entry is £310 (but i don' know what full/later entry fees will be) entries open on Nov 3rd and they are limiting the race to 600 for the full and 600 for the half

hth

• Early bird offer for Henley 2013 £310 image

• I think £310 early bird entry Blisters..until 3 November?

• ooops - i meant *before* Nov 3rd it's £310  image

• Look at the three of us all desperate to impart the information simultaneously! Such helpful souls.

• well I'd be more helpful if i actually read my email properly the first time imageimage

• I might be considering challenge barcelona - shuffleB may be part of a exercise study that include 6 months coached training leadig towards this.....  She's in the next round of tests for it so looking hopeful.
    I don't sherpa so may as well enter as well.....

• Cake, would that be central as in the Nottingham area?

I'm not surprised to hear that any tri -organising committee would want to drum up support for their event from the single most influential group of financial supporters to their cause.

• Cake wrote (see)

Was at a UK triathlon race yesterday and talking to one of there staff. They havn't finalized everything yet and ask us not to shut my mouth off on some of the details about what they are planning but there is a very good chance they might be announcing a race next week central uk wise.

Is it in Macc, mate? Have they offered The Assassins 50 gazillion quid to buy out their successful "DIY Half" franchise?

• It's not macc but near there I can't remember the name of the place but my care worker sarah said it was nearish there. What they said sounded very positive and done there sprint races and trentham a few times so think they could do a good one. Only worry I have is there medals are normally a bit sh*t if anyone cares about that sort of thing.  But was told they are pushing the boat out and designing new ones.

• Cake i notice on the UK Tri site that the Trentham Tri is missing for 2013 so they must be doing this new event instead of Trentham.
  • IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Sellout image

Yeah, but with 50 gazillion quid I don't care image

• Bobby Nobby wrote (see)
    Cake i notice on the UK Tri site that the Trentham Tri is missing for 2013 so they must be doing this new event instead of Trentham.

From what they said I think thats part of what they where working out. They have never really liked trentham with the distance between the swim and the bike. Just messaged you matie.

• for those who may not have noticed CH opened for 2013 entries this morning - looks to be filling up fast so get your skates on!!

more entries in the 1st hour than the first week so far.   this is going to sell out quick