PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• Scuba ... head over to the Kit Order thread smartish as I doubt we will get enough numbers for a full order of all you require before the date ... possible but dont leave it to chance  image

Welcome aboard the fun bus  !!

• Oh and dont forgrt to add your name...

Meldy - you not entered yet?
  • CH - entered
    Barley
    Blisters
    ChallengeCheggers
    Fraggle
    Gladys
    Iron SwissBobby
    Iron Dreamer
    M.eface
    Rafiki
    Scuba Trooper
    Ultimate Badger

CH Half- arsed
    Bedders
    Hope

• Scuba, Welcome - I'm very new here too but you've paid exactly the same as me.

I've just blown another ??100 and entered the Marlow half ironman event on 14 July as well - it'll be my first triathalon and a training event! I'll have the kit to wear by then too.
  • Scuba Trooper wrote (see)

I have gone and done it now. It is finally time for me to de-lurk, I have submitted my enter to Challenge Henely and am now looking to nail my colours to the mast of the Pirate Ship Of Fools.

I am from a running background and but this will be my first Ironman, (first triathlon will have to be covered during training). Looks like a good group already entered with a few first times and a few more experienced. There was mention earlier on the thread of bike route recces and maybe pre-race meet up which would be up for, I'm only about an hour and a half away.

Just want to check I did the entry correctly with the code and club as PSOF they charged me £299 plus £11ish admin fee as a not affiliate is that right?

I'm off to blow some more money, firstly on the pirate kit thread and then on a road bike.

Hiya, welome aboard.

I think you did it right but you could have got it for £294 if you put Affiliated!  This relates to addiliation to a club which im guessing they assume PSOF to be a club even though we're not registered with BTF.  When  I first completed my application it came out as £299 not affiliated so I went back and changed it and got the slightly lower price.  I guess its to late to change it now but its only a few quid.

I was confused by the affiliation question as this normally related to affiliation to the BTF (which im not, nor is PSOF) but given there was a seperate question in the application asking if you are registered with a governing body (to which I put no), I figured it was fair to state affliliation to PSOF

Long winded answer, hope it helps image

I think a few of us will be keen to meet up for some training, keep your eye out for threads suggesting training meet ups, sportive events, Open Water swims and the like.

• CH - entered
    Barley
    Blisters
    ChallengeCheggers
    Fraggle
    Gladys
    Iron SwissBobby
    Iron Dreamer
    M.eface
    Rafiki
    Scuba Trooper
    Soupy
    Ultimate Badger

CH Half- arsed
    Bedders
    Hope

• Entered.

(but too scared to do lists for fear of list fairy wreaking revenge)
  • CH - entered
    Barley
    Blisters
    ChallengeCheggers
    Fraggle
    Gladys
    Iron SwissBobby
    Iron Dreamer
    M.eface
    Rafiki
    Scuba Trooper
    Soupy
    Ultimate Badger
    Ultra Cougie

CH Half- arsed
    Bedders
    Hope

• Hi all, thanks for the welcome and comment about entry fee, I'm not going to stress about the £5.

Cheggers - Are you following a Fink program? I need to look at a calendar and work out when warm up races should be then try and find ones that fit. Marlow isn't to far for me so if it fits the training plan I might be up for that.

• Hi Scuba

I'm going to be doing a Fink but I'm going to play around with it to make it fit in with my (3 day) working week, my 2 days of looking after children each week, holidays and other events (there's a sportive I'm doing in June and a marathon in April). I am slowly doing a spreadsheet of how everything fits together.

Marlow just looks like a nice event and since it's near (and cheap!) I'll make it fit. 

This all sounds like I know what I'm doing - please don't think that is the case, I really don't! I'm reading lots, learning lots and making it up as I go along. It could all go very wrong!

• Knew we would get a good turn out on the list, I wouldnt be surprised if another half dozen or so decide to enter as the months pass.

• Last day to get the cheap entry ?

Roll up roll up !!
  •  

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    Doner Kebab wrote (see)

dont want to sound mean but - its ironman, ffs, if you want the title do the training, if youre doing outlaw you have already paid, stop thinking about your average speed, highest speed, lowest possible speed i could get away with if just make the swim cut off. you got 8 months to improve, training = improvement most of the time, you will improve, so that shitty 12 mph average will be a 14 mph average and you will have spent xx hours worrying about nothing. stop writing on the forums and get in the gym, stop reading the responses to the threads and get in an extra 30 minutes sweat fest on the turbo - be an IRONMAN, train like you really want it, if youre that close to the cuts, train some more ( but dont forget rest daysimage )

"Swim 2.4 miles Bike 112 miles Run 26.2 miles Brag for the rest of your life "
    but do the fcking training first then worry the month before, youll be so knackered you wont give a shit and youll just want it over and then itll be too late.

rant over

Good post, you can either prepare to fail or prepare to succeed, 8 months is a hell of a long time and if you train hard you should have nothing to worry about. 

As said, dont even think about 17 hours, thats for when the day goes wrong. 

If youre worried about your bike speed get out on your bike, ask yourself whether that 2 hour ride you did last weekend was enough, could you have done another hour, were you dead on your handlebars when you finished.  Have you been out on the bike/turbo'd twice this week? if not why not?

Podds I don't agree with your last point, there is no good reason preventing anyone getting fast. What limits us is ambition and commitment. I'm sure both you and I could easily add 2mph to our Ironman average bike speed if we tried.

Many people who are strong on the bike do 200 miles+ week in week out.  I'll wager youll stuggle to find anyone who regularly averages even 100 miles a week who isnt ok on the bike.

I understand the need to get an idea of your bike speed at this stage but whatever that is it shouldnt be looked at as a negative.  Your on start of a long long journey, the focus of which is to improve and adapt, massive improvements can be made but you get out what you put in, structured bike training certainly has benefits but even without structure if youre doing 100 miles a week youre soon going to see improvements.  Think about gearing up to doing 200 miles a week in peek training March-June next year and youll have nothing to worry about with bike speed.

Well I'm taking DK and  Coach at their word here. I was going to enter the half but then thought, sod it - JFDI. It might not be the easiest profile so that means I'll just have  get some hill training in and stop making excuses.

Oh and I paid £299 plus admin. I'm not arguing again

• O.rangeCannon - Extravalanza-ing wrote (see)
    Oh and dont forgrt to add your name...

Meldy - you not entered yet?

Not yet .... cash flow wont change til next year

I'll be there, hopefully competing!!

• Oops - I appear to have mucked up the formatting. image

• And I've lost the end of my post - it should say not arguing against the few extra quid! image

• Soup - you could have Coach as a mentor now that he is mentee-less image

• Im happy to help if I can but im a $hit mentor apparently image

• I may enter this or challenge barcelona..... Not sure whuch yet....
  • Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Im happy to help if I can but im a $hit mentor apparently image

lol Barley!  What I need is a person with a big stick to get me out in the cold wet weather and out of bed in a morning. I meant to do a run this morning but I've got up too late - it was dark. I'm such a wuss. image

I may regret asking for the big stick. image

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Im happy to help if I can but im a $hit mentor apparently image

You are being a tad unfair on yourself there , Coach.

You are very knowledgeable and a great resource for inspiration and advice; after all with 12 IM finishes under your belt you must have seen, heard or done everything.  You would be great for a more experienced and accomplished mentee where the drive, motivation and commitment is already there, together with the ability and the speed.  You are not really suited to a newbie with slow times etc as you cannot relate to that. 

And from a getting-out-the-door-and-training perspective, we were too similar and the lure of a cornish pasty always overcame the bike ride.  From that angle...yes, you were a $hit mentor image

• I hope there is nothing in this but the council want to postpone next years event

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=1192222

• NIMBYS eh  ?

How many people enter this event ?  It starts at stupid o clock so unless you're local you'll be staying over.  So a lot of rooms booked and a lot of meals being eaten. Even more if there are foreign athletes doing it - they'll be there for at least 4 days I'd have thought ?

Plus some pub will make a fortune out of the Pirate Party on Monday. image

• I hope you're right!

Its a very amusing article considering for 4 years I commuted through Henley town centre every day - and I've never known a place that closes the High Street quite so often - Regatta, Rewind Festival, Arts festival, Bonfire night, Christmas shopping, Half marathon, any excuse.... must of been 1 or 2 days a month!

• Its partly Nimbyism but reading the article and the concerns from some who've been behind the event before.  The criticsm is that Just Racing arent presenting a clear financial justification and theyhave a right to challenge it.  If you look at the impact on just one local business (the golf club having to cancel a 120 person event) which also has potential hotel and local business benefit? then there are potentially questions to answer.  Hopefully Just Racing can come up with a route/financial justification to allay the concerns.

For a race to succeed they need a water tight case and to get the locals 100% on board, they need to see tangible benefits so they get behind the race and support it.  Lets just say im not expecting there to be the same local support on the course that you get at Wales or on the continent.

• The truth will be in the middle somewhere. 

JR will have erred on the high side for the benefit to the area. 

The councillors on the low.  OK a few people may make their own sandwiches - but i'd have thought the majority will be buying food there for example. 

And as to the golf course - OK they've lost that business, but someone else will be hosting a prize giving for a lot more than 120 people ?

• Now, ive only read the first 8 pages or so, but the gist of it that their is a PSOF championship help ( this comming year ) at the Challenge Henley event ?

Entry is open and not (as) cheap as outlaw ( which isnt open )

However, as Im in the outlaw half and dont/wont wait forever for an Outlaw full place - budget will get distributed to household if not dispersed to races - maybe I should get on board and give outlaw full a miss ?

( Pressuming couch - Half - Full - Full is not as sensible as it sounds in my head )

( 2nd June, 7th July, 8th September - thats 8 weeks to recover between full distance but only 5 between half and full - which is not a biggy as the half can be treated as mental prep for the full. ( does one need to prep being mental ? )

• Your post Lard reads like Algebra to me with all the brackets in it...image

• I have just read this Henley article and had to laugh when I saw this:

Lord Camoys, who owns Stonor Park, has called for the event to be cancelled.
    He said: “Why should these people be given the right to do all this — they should go in an aerodrome.”

In an aerodrome???? 

Would be a real shame if the event was cancelled.

• SgtLard - up to you mate. But as you've come from nowt I think you're pretty mad to consider doing two - you've no idea how you'll feel after completing the first. I'm sure some nutters on here would disagree though. It's my first and I'm already fairly fit; the thought of doing a second 8 weeks after is not even crossing my mind! Outlaw is closed. CH is not. You've no idea if you'll get an Outlaw place. Suffering from slight OCD I like to know exactly what I'm doing and when - especially when it's as big an undertaking as Iron distance.

Voted no on the Henley Standard cancellation poll - natch image

Was thinking of entering the Marlow Half Iron as a) it's in the rough vicinity and b) it's on the EXACT date that Sir Fink recommends doing one! (intermediate plan)