PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• 1500m swim done. image

• Nice one Soup. 1 hour run/walk and 1 hour club swim for me today. Another good day's training. Things are going well for me at the moment. image

• Got up again at redonkulous o clock too go swimming 1 mile all drills which was ok felt and was a bit slow, I'm always a bit slow first thing especially with I food or more importantly no tea! Cycled too work after had too pull my finger out only half 30 mins too go 9 miles then rode home after was meant too go running tonight for intervals but am shattered so gonna chill with the cat instead.... Hope everyone else isn't knackered like me!
  • to to to to to

Per-lease.

Chastise me later when you kick my tail in the main event.

• Didn't manage the 75mile charity ride on Saturday logistics got the better of me and tri club mate so we stayed local and did 60miles instead. Ride was fun until 400m from home when I snapped my chain, I've put in a new pin for the time being but will get a new one and probably a new cassette as everyone suggests to replace them both. I may also have to get a new large chain ring as having looked closely at mine while mucking around with the chain it looks quite rough and worn. God owning a bike is getting expensive.

Moved rest day to Sunday so easy 1 hours run Monday. Another 1 hour run yesterday morning and then club coached swim in the evening and 45min/30min turbo brick session this morning. Don't feel to knackered at the moment but it's early in the week.

Sounds like everyone else is training well.

Fraggle - I hope you can get a few solid training weeks in and feel you can still make the full IM.

• Good training there Scubes. At this rate we might be able to catch Jamie up in his tardis. image

• This be racing talk! With the amount of food I've eaten today you will have too roll me to the start line!
  • not wishing to get too excited, but I have been *out* on my bike today image  only 40 mins of pootling about and trying to keep breahting and HR low, but it's a start image

Mr Frag is buying me some lightweight racing wheels for my birthday next week, so I'm feeling much more positive now image

• I did a couple of laps of the course at the weekend, and ended up coming back on the old course for a bit of variety. Ironically, Pishill which caused all the problems for the organisers is going to closed for 5 days for re-surfacing. I bet there hasn't been one complaint about that!

Shames its not in the race anymore as it will be great coming down that hill with smooth tarmac!

• Ooh that reminds me...*heads off to course recce thread*

• Rafiki - Whats the surface like on the course in general? Do we need to send loads of complaining e-mails to the council to get them to fill holes/fix the surface between now and the race? Having said that, I'll find out for my self at the end of the month when I do the recce.

• Scuba - if I get a bit if time later, I'll drop down a few notes on the course and post it on the recce thread - hopefully, it will give you an idea of what to expect, plus it may be useful for those that won't have a chance to recce the course beforehand.

• Just discovered Mcvities Mini Gingerbread men today - ideal on the move food Soupy ? image

• Well done fraggle, racing wheels are awesome I love my zipps... Doesn't matter if your going fast or slow you always look fast!

Training wise for me today was much better and a hell of a lot more fun 12 mile run which was a tempo run, first 20 min nice easy pace 7:04 m/m avg, 2nd 20 mins stand alone mara pace 6:52 m/m, third 20 mins was hurting a touch at 6:44 m/m... Last 20 mins or so was a cruise back too home at about 7:45 m/m which was lovely in the evening sun.... Hope you all are getting some of this sun!
  • Fraggle - Things are looking up, new race wheels and food ideas, hows the training?

Another 60miles this morning and managed a 20min brick run too. Not sure whether to do my planned 1:15-1:30 easy run tomorrow or the club 3.5/19/3.5km duathlon, it would be my first multi sport event.

Hope everyone took advantage of the sun this morning.

• I took advantage I was bloody working ended up getting home went on a horrid wet run then a 3km beasting in the pool.... Hoping its dry enough for a ride tommoro...Anyway! Duathlon, do it! Way more fun then a standard run!
  • Well the New Forest sportive has been cancelled tomorrow due to flooding on the course. Bugger. Will go out on me tod instead. A bit annoying as I'd cut my training back a little this week to cater for it. Oh well. image

• Well i managed a 100 miler round the Henley course - struggled up Howe Hill twice, the second one 76 miles in! Easier with the new compact on, but still a struggle (although over took some bloke half way up the first time round image)

• ^^^ image  am hoping the go-faster wheels will help me, btu I imagine by the 3rd time I'l either be crying/pushing the bike or vomiting - or any combination of the 3 imageimage

• Go faster wheels sound scarey lol. 

Its a lovely day and I would love to be out on my bike but I have other work to do. I've missed a couple of other sessions this week too. I'm in dispute with my employer and things are hotting up. I'm on the verge of constructive dismissal and already have a tribunal claim against them for discrimination and whistle blowing detriment. I have to have a response to long email from them on Friday prepared by tomorrow. Didn't want to do it yesterday cos it was my birthday so it has to be today (sigh). 

Anyway, if I leave before getting another job I'll have loads of time to train. image

• Go faster wheels are scary - especially the first time you're using them and find some breeze - even more so if it's a cross-wind. 

Like Jamie says though, they make you look fast all of the time!

Belated happy birthday Soup - and I hope things sort themselves out for you.

• Sounds a bit crappy soup do you work in a school? Anyway whatever it is I really hope it all goes well!

106 miles on the bike 5hours 45 and a 4 mile run transtion god damn my legs felt heaaaaaavy! I also encountered all the seasons today,sun, wind (lots of wind!), rain :l and bleeding hail :/ was a very lumpy ride but I do feel good now hope all is well!
  • jamie - NHS. Not known for their sympathetic treatment of whistle blowers. I'll keep my mouth shut in future. Got threatened with dismissal and effectively been demoted. But IM training sure as hell takes my mind off it all - when I can get out and train. 

• Hmmmm sounds a bit odd, I actually watched a tonight programme or panorama on whistle blowers in the NHs and how they are basically told to put up and shut up, hang in there soup doesn't sound fair at all what they are doing..
  • 60 miler today for me, on my lonesome, in about 4 hours. Hardly quick but I actually felt relatively strong at the end of the ride despite doing over 1000m of climbing. Was pretty windy today and that definitely slowed me in parts. That rounds out another 10+ hour training week. I shall be switching to my TT bike very soon for my long rides as it's only 7 weeks until Swashbuckler! Lord only knows when I'll be able to do any OW swimming before then! image

The warmer weather does mean I can start using an extended commute as part of my training and can get off the damn spin bikes in the gym. They're OK but just not as good as the real thing. I'm really hoping this kicks my bike training on a notch because I am realistically looking at an 8 hour bike split currently. image

11 hours planned next week and then it's the end of the base phase. Already. Currently trying not to think about the 'bigger picture', if I do, I start crapping myself. image

• Soup - Hope everything goes as well as possible at work, IM training much be a welcome distraction as well as a added complication at the moment.

Jamie - Impressive mileage and speed as usual. Thanks for the encouragement, I did the Duathlon 3.5/19/3.5km in 1:09:30 (run was cross country and both run and bike were undultaing). I was slowest in both tranistions at 1:30 for each and all I had to do was change my shoes and helmet image. Pleased that the run splits where very even, so paced it well and felt good even after 60miles on the saturday.

Doubt I will be able to afford to upgrade much on my bike before Henley but like the idea of faster wheels

• i think the 'go faster' wheels are Fulcrum racing 1's (will tell you when they arrive) so not deep aero profile scary-in-a-crosswind jobbie, but lighter stiffer ones than what i've currently got.  They *are* supposed to make me faster, though whether that'll actually happen is anyone's guess image

• St - well done mate I'm really glad you went for the race, I hope you had a brilliant time! For your transitions that's easy stuff to work on I did my t1 in my last duathlon in 21 seconds just make sure everything is lined up in order and maybe if your confident enough keep your bike shoes attached to your bike with elastic bands saves heaps of time!

Fraggle - I want some pics of these bad boys! I love my wheels and I don't think they are too bad in sidewinds here is a pic of my beast neway http://www.flickr.com/photos/94965841@N02/8653194648/
  • Cracking ride round Richmond Park after work with Dustboy yesterday.  Only did a couple of laps cos didn't want to get locked in the car park but really hammered it on the second lap. Made a fun change from the long slow stuff and as usual with Dustboy had a hell of a laugh. Great way to unwind after a stressful day. image

• Soup - It's lovely to have a change of pace now and again even if its not in the training plan especially with a fun training partner.image

Jamie - Nice machine, puts mine to shameimage

Badger - Know what you mean a about not thinking about the big picture very scary still. My mileage and times seem similar to yours, although I am getting in nearly 2000m of climb on 60mile ride (if you can believe garmin data). Not sure I'm looking forward to build sessions with added intervals. 

9 miles in 1:17 for me this morning and Tri Club coached swim this evening.