PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• I'm gonna head too the lake tommoro (sat) and go for a paddle... As I'm gonna hit up a century on Sunday... So if anyone is up and about feel free too join me!

• Bike 1 of the weekend done, a slow and v. hilly 52 miles, 4000ft elevation image Avg speed 15mph @ 123bpm avg. Is pretty windy down here today and surprisingly cold. Yesterday it was lovely! Going to attempt my first (short) run in 12 days tomorrow as the foot feels ok. Wish me luck! image

• UB - nice work chap on the riding... Be real careful with the running and just listen to your body...

• My running's up to distance, having done a marathon for fun last weekend, but I still swim like an elephant, and the bike is way short of necessary distance. Open water has yet to be attempted. I feel like a complete beginner here.

• Blisters don't worry about the swim too much just work at it steady and it will get there, the bike well as it warm drop the run right down and start gettigf some 80+ milers indo just go for it!

• Good news - the good old council has been out with the tarmac lorry! Some potholes filled in and the odd bit of re-surfacing!! The 100m or so at the top of Howe Hill with those massive potholes 2 weeks ago is now smooth as a baby's bum!!

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

Evening. Good news on the pot holes. 

Well my confidence has been given a massive boost after the pirate HIM this weekend. 1900m swim and 52 miles on the bike with 3000ft elevation. Only did 6 miles run cos I wanted to still be able to walk and get straight back into training. Still only doing the half though cos although I'm sure I can get the distance up, I'm not sure about the speed. Averaged 13.5mph yesterday. 

Blisters - ow swimming is much easier with the wet suit. You'll be grand. 

• Soup - well doneimage that's great work, the bike is the main thing as that would probably be roughly the elevation of Henley for the half (raf would probably have a better idea off his garmin). I would loveed too have done the DIY half but the travel was a issue really ;(

raf - thank Christ they were not pot holes... Half the blinking road was missing!

• haha yes - some of it was like a dig site from an Indiana Jones film! Good work on the DIY HIM Soup. You've plenty of time to get some speed now. Get some short, hard sessions under your belt. 

First run/walk after foot injury this evening. A massive 4 miles in around 40 minutes. Going to ease back into the running very gently. Foot feels OK currently - the acid test will be in the morning however. Currently rolling a wooden ball under my feet whilst typing this! 

60-70 flattish miles planned tomorrow on the TT bike after Saturday's hilly effort. image

• Soup - Great news glad you had the boast you needed, HIM this year than another off season to work on you base and you be good for the big one next year.

Raf  - Good to hear the council is on the case, next time we do a recce I will note any more holes and report them to the council once a week until they are filled the last thing I need is a puncture on pothole issue on race day. How long you got left until Lazna?

Badger - Glad the run went well and no issues so far but as you say the morning will be the test. Take it real slow on the recovery the bike work will keep you fit so theres no rush.

Did 70mile in just over 4hrs on Saturday had its ups and downs physically and mentally as it was a bit cold in places and rained in the last 7miles. 2 open water swims planned for this week I need to get use to it soon as possible as I have a race in 2 weeks. Finally got new cassette and chain and a new bottom bracket for good measure too. I went 12-27 in the end and have noticed the extra bit on the hills. LBS repacked the bearings on my back wheel but as its not a cartridge bearing this is a short term fix so now have to think about a new wheel set, any recommendations at the budget/value (£200) end of the market?

• Same for me today Scuba - 70 miles in just over 4 hours. 4000ft climbing. Bike's coming along nicely now. Actually felt pretty good at the end of the ride and definitely could've done more. My neck was aching a little from being in the aero position but my legs weren't too fried. More importantly though, I looked the shiznit in all my fancy gear! image 

Rest day tomorrow as I've done over 200 miles on the bike this past week. image

• Ooh budget wheel recommendations at sub 200 notes would be Planet X AL30's or maybe Mavic Aksiums?

• I was gonna go straight in and say zipp 808's image, seriously though eBay has some good deals or some ALXs, it's best too try and shell out as much as possible on a set of good wheels as its one of the biggest areas too make speed increases.... excellent work on the bike mate keep getting the miles in.. Remember mate and I'm talking from experience here the mental game of ironman out weighs the physical part... Your body and your head will scream too stop, you have too push past it mate!

sadly had too work today although managed 40 miles on the bike with a decent average speed, and a great brick run of 9.30 miles in 1 hour 2 mins image

oh and 13 hours on the bike this week and over 250 miles clocked image

• Sweet bejesus Jamie - you are seriously fast. I shall now only refer to you by the name 'Billy Big Balls'. image 

• Lol I want too one day be as fast as my mate... He can run almost 11 mph average.... I am pretty sunburned I really think the warm weather helps me go a lot faster!

• Evening - had a pretty good weekend training - cold, short swim on Sat, 102 miles on the bike yesterday (in 5hrs 50 - pretty pleased with that) and 13 mile run today.

Only 10 days left till I fly - all Pirate kit washed today, starting to strip TT bike down and clean it, before packing her away!! Time is running out!!

• Nice one Raf, sounds like you're set. Henley will be a breeze after Lanzarote!

• Nice one Soupy!

Good training all. If it stays warm I'll drag my arse to the Reading lake this week.

• Crap weekend for me. I spent the entire time indoors, decorating, whilst watching the outside being lovely. You would think that a 3 day weekend should see at least some opportunity to don a bit of lycra. I managed an hour's swimming in the pool on Sunday, and that was it. Not best pleased, but at least the job is done.

• Blisters wrote (see)

Crap weekend for me. I spent the entire time indoors, decorating, whilst watching the outside being lovely. You would think that a 3 day weekend should see at least some opportunity to don a bit of lycra. I managed an hour's swimming in the pool on Sunday, and that was it. Not best pleased, but at least the job is done.

Booooo image I did some of that on Saturday but not all weekend hard luck!

• 20 miles beasting on the bike today.

• * bounces in * howdy one and all image

Back from a long weekend in Cornwall, we went on a 30 mile very hilly ride on monday, which included going up the hill out of my mum's village which I've since measured at 18-20% image mahoossive confidence boost image.

Also picked up my new Snugg wetsuit, so will have to brave the lake later on in the week.   Feeling quite good at the moment image, just will need to remind myself of this feeling when I'm very tired and doubting myself, which I no doubt will at some point.

• Fraggle: which lake are you planning to brave?

• Tri20 in Reading. Blisters

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

18 - 20% Fraggle - whooop. image

I had another good dustboy led Richmond Park bike session on Tuesday. We did some sprint intervals and went up the hills in an increasingly bigger gear each lap. I'm watching the lake temperatures. Taplow is 17 so I might toddle along there this weekend. Need to get some ow in before Enduroman half on 2nd June. 

• Fraggle  -Helloooo, big entrance. Glad you had a good weekend, I love sessions like that, everything seems manageable again.

Raf - Have fun in Lanza, looking forward to the race and party reports. Remember "Finishing is the only fucking option" image

Jamie/Badger - Great bike mileage.

Blisters - You concentrating on the bike now?

Done 3 open water swims now and feel much better about them, mass starts and swimming in a big bunch is still going to take some getting use to. Should be fine for my first sprint a week on Sunday. Any recommendations on anti chaff for the wetsuit?

• Scuba, in my head I'm supposed to be focussing on the bike now, but not forgetting that 10 and 20 mile runs are important. Having said that, this afternoon, I found myself strangely drawn towards Bristol Open Water.

By the time I got to the water's edge the air temp had dropped from 16, and the wind was causing white breakers on the far bank, despite it being a smallish lake. The course was 650m, and the water was probably 12-14 degrees. Underwater visibility = nil. Swimming through the far side was interesting, timing the breathing to coincide with the troughs between the waves. On the second lap it started pissing down, but I didn't notice. I remember Candy or Barlos talking about the morning swims in rough weather being the best ones. I wouldn't have bothered, but two other newbies turned up at the same time, so I was peer pressured into it.

1300m OW done...that sounds good.

• Good stuff. I found out that my local lake opens precisely 1 week before Swashbuckler. I guess I'll get at least one practice swim in this year then! image

• Concentrated on the bike. Did a grand total of 80 miles, my furthest to date. We went out a bit too fast for my liking, and sure enough I started to find it tough on the gradual upflats on the way home (into wind). When we did get back to the roost I tagged on an extra 20 miles to get to my 80. That's when it got wet. Ho Hum.
    The back was in an unhappy place, although the legs were fine. Bizarre, because I've always been completely toasted after a group 40/50 miler. I guess that it's to do with pace. Or could it be cadence? This was a topic for discussion on the ride.

• Hey all hope you have all had a good week image

Blisters - nice one on the bike that wind was horrendous :/

Scuba - I have slacked on the OW swims a bit as time constraints, well done on yours though!

personally I have had a recovery ish week, slacked the cycling right off.. Mainly because of weather, but I felt like a little break from week after week of 250+ miles so this week I've totalled about 125 miles on the bike about 30 miles run and swimming wasent really affected, next week is another slightly slack week mainly speed focus and less mileage as its a oly dist race week... 1st of the season!