PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• Welcome to the over thinking corner Scuba image.  I've only done 2 triathlons..my first transition bags looked like I was going away for the weekend I packed so much !

I really like the idea of wearing tri suit under wet suit, but when I tried during a recent open water practice it felt too wet and I worry (over thinking again !!) about being cold on the bike.

Think I need to give myself a good talking too !!

I do like the idea to "keep moving" and "less choices".

Take care all !

• How warm youll be depends to a degree on your size, if youre a skinny rake you may need more than a tri-top if its damp/cool in the morning.

Aside from that if its forecast to be over 16 degrees by say noon and not raining or very windy you should be fine in just a tri suit. 

I dont feel the cold when im racing like I do when training, its weird, very rare that temperature crosses my mind.

On the padded shorts vs tri shorts question, a lot of people find less padding more comforable (including me), but youve got to be comfortable with what youre doing, you dont want to spend the time overthinking whether tri shorts will work out for you.  Have you got an opportunity to try them out on a 3 hour ride?

• Barley - My tri shorts are ok for 4-5hrs on the bike but just not quite as good cycles shorts, think I'll go this them.

Brooko - I'm as skinny rake and in one of my spring races I wore cycle jersey and the other tri top and arm warmers, both I wore my tri shorts under wetsuit. You may feel cold when you get out of T1 but you dry very quickly on the bike and particularly when your heart rate is high due to the hard work and adrenaline of the beginning of the race you don't notice.

• This is pure brilliant reading! Look you lot stop panicking haha! 

Listen to barley the lad knows his stuff, I don't feel the cold either.... Don't wear cycling shorts, wetness from the swim etc just no good, I don't change any clothes during transtion... Well minimal.. Wetsuit off in t1 no socks for cycling, no arm warmers, everything I have is on me or on the bike ( I am risking it this year with my bike setup only using 1 bottle cage as I'm going aero and weight crazy... They hand out bottle every 10 miles so seems a waste so weight etc) 

tip too take away : think logically put things in order your going too use them, don't bring too much crap you don't need it, it's a ironman not a 10 day camping trip!

i have my full pirate kit now thanks too prince Siegfried 

easy day training 2k swim 10k run feels proper slack image

• Evening.all. Didn't realise Henley was so close. Looking forward to throwing bottles at you all day.

Scuba Trooper wrote (see)

Cheap Italian in Henley

Raf
    Whiz
    OC
    Shuffle
    Barley

Scuba Trooper
    Cat5

• On the clothing discussion do you wear arm warmers under wetsuit or keep dry and put on in T1 ?

will be in Henley for my first Half. but hopefully will have signed up to the Big one in Bolton this Friday.

With Friends Sat eve so won't join you for Italian but hope to catch to at transition / registration 

• Red Stripe: I was trying to avoid over -thinking the very same question. I did notice that our sub 10 Kona super AG winner wore Pirate gear WITH arm warmers under his wetsuit. However, I have not yet tried my arm warmers outside of the bike shop! It's been too warm.

As for shorts, I shall be wearing Pirate ones. I find them more comfy than the Altura Borat Mankini, even for 6 hour rides. And pissing's easier, let alone thinking about all that Malt Loaf. I shall definitely wear socks for the bike, and take fresh ones for the run, even if I choose not to change.

Scuba Trooper wrote (see)

Cheap Italian in Henley

Raf
    Whiz
    OC
    Shuffle
    Barley
    Scuba Trooper
    Cat 5
    Blisters

I guess that we had better book a table.

• I'm now offically a half-hearter.   I might join you for dinner on Saturday, depends on whether I decide to travel in on the morning at the crack of dawn or stay overnight. I'm only a 40 minute drive away so it seems a bit extravagant for a half. - unless I camp. Really should have worked this out sooner lol. You lot are fretting about the race, I've not even sorted out how I get to the start. imageimage

• Arm warmers,

Ive never worn them under wetsuit but its a good idea, the wind should dry them out fairly quickly.  Its something ill try next time I need them.

I find arm warmers a bitch to get on even having trying rolled off into little doughnuts method which Rosey favours.  I always find myself in T1 wasting time or wobbling along the road for so long that it would have been easier to stop (maybe I need XL instead of L arm warmers?).

There's also the option of putting them on as you run from change tent to bike. 

• Soupy, can you register for the half on Sunday?  im guessing so hence youve no need to travel on Saturday?

• OK - I'll book a table for 10 people at Zizzi's for 6:30 on Sat - that OK with everyone?

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Arm warmers,

Ive never worn them under wetsuit but its a good idea, the wind should dry them out fairly quickly.  Its something ill try next time I need them. 

But they'll feel cold while they're drying that way, just when you need them most.  If it's genuinely cold enough that you need armwarmers then you'll get a lot more benefit putting them on dry, even if it costs you a few seconds.

• I did wonder about how theyd feel at the start, but wouldnt they still trap body heat/moisture in a warm layer like a wetsuit and still provide some warm.  This calls for some testing, if I need arm warmers ill wear one under my wetsuit and put one on in transition image

Rafiki wrote (see)

OK - I'll book a table for 10 people at Zizzi's for 6:30 on Sat - that OK with everyone?

Mmmm image

• Raf - my mrs would like too join us too... Remeber she's he short one but eats like a horse!

• Whiz, that's cool. There's only 9 on the list so far, but I'll over book a few places just in case - I'm sure we'll eat enough to make it worth their while image

• Raf - can you ensure you ply them all with alcohol the night before? image And don't let anyone go to bed early either image

• Me?? I'd never do anything like that..... just ask Golden Boots image

• Raf - Thanks for sorting that out. You're my hero image

• Rafiki wrote (see)

Me?? I'd never do anything like that..... just ask Golden Boots image

From what I heard (I was asleep) he didn't need any help.

• Whiz - You realise these are public forums you Mrs could be shown what you have write, maybe over dinner. image

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
    Rafiki wrote (see)

Me?? I'd never do anything like that..... just ask Golden Boots image

From what I heard (I was asleep) he didn't need any help.

I ain't sayin nuffin wifout me lawyer image

• I hope to be along to shout at a few of you, but I probably won't make the 'last supper' on Saturday as I hope to be celebrating my Cricket team being promoted to the Surrey Championships!  
    Raf, I've got your number so will text / phone to find out where you are on Sunday!

• I might make the last supper. I have to register on Saturday so very tempted to sociable and stay for dinner and camp overnight. Raf - can I confirm in a couple of days?  Ta. 

Golden Boots' drinking at outlaw is now stuff of legend. image  

• No problem Soupy

Siggy - give us a ring when you get there and we can meet up

• Morning guys. Sorry for crashing the thread. Got a few questions...

ST - hello stranger!

im doing the half at henley. I'm a bit confused about registration and bike racking. Do we register and get all our bags on the Saturday and then go rack the bike up? So we need to take everything we need for the race with us?

Am I right in thinking that we get out the river at a different place to where we get in or is it that we start the run in a different place from the bike? So  we have various bags to get back at the end?

did I read it somewhere here that they give out drinks on the course and do we have to stop? 

Also - arm warmers....never even thought about those. Should I?

And any advice as to what time to get there on Sunday morning to make parking any easier and where to park greatly received! Travelling from the other side of Reading so I'm not staying over. 

as you can tell this is my first half and I'm doing it alone. slightly shit scared!!

• Hi AA,

Here is a link the race info pack:

http://www.challengehenley.com/files/Race%20information%2014th%20August%202013.pdf

For the half.

I believe registration & bike racking is on Saturday, there is a race briefing at 2.30pm.  You will need to rack you bike, helmet and put your run & bike bags in transition.  You will probably? be able to get to your bags in the morning but remember T1 is near the swim start/exit and T2 is a mile or so away.

Im doing the full but will check my bike on race morning, inflate my tyres and load all my food and drink on my bike.  All my other bike gear will already be in my bike bag.

Swim In and Swim Exit is about the same place, swim exit takes you into T1 where your bike bag and bike will be.

Not sure whats happening with regard to collecting bags at the end?  Youll be finishing at T2 where the bikes are, im guessing they'll have brought the bike bags from T1 ro T2 (which youll have put your wetsuit etc in during T1).

Feestations are about every 20k on the bike and 2k on the run

Bike feedstations will have: USN energy source drink, non caffenaited gels, water and bananas.

Run feedstations will have: USN energy, source drink, non caffeinated gels and caffeinated gels, coke, water, bananas and a salty snack.

Arm warmers arent essential, might be stating the obvious but they help keep your arms warm when its colder, surprisingly this makes you generally feel warmer.  Depends what youre planning to wear for the bike and how cold it is.  If its over say 15 degrees probably no need.

Ive no idea how busy parking will be in the morning, id just say leave plenty of contingency, you dont want to be panicing before the race.

• Barley - from my understanding all your bags will end up at T2 at the end of the race, which is near the finish line.

AA - I was meant to be doing the full, but had to pull out at the last minute due to injury, but I'll be there most of the day offering 'assistance' to the other Pirates (I'm local too) so if you need a hand/re-assurance or general abuse give us a shout. (there's also a race 'debrief' on the Monday in the Angel - welcome to gate crash)

As for parking, its on the field where the Henley half normally starts I think, so should be plenty of space!

Did anyone figure out the boat taxi thing - or shall I bring my Landie and ferry you down that way?

• Yes I followed up on the boat thingy, apparently the boat service is running 03.30 to 10.30, you cant book.

Im a little hesitant about it as all sounds a bit haphazzard but what can you do apart from turn up and hope there's not a stupid big queue.

• I think the road is still open and I'll be about so I can do a couple of trips down in the Landie if need be (or if ST prefers I can bring the hairdressers car just for him image) assuming I don't get too drunk the night before image