PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• Some fine numbers !  447 for me.....look forward to seeing you all soon.  take care

• I've done two training runs in borrowed pirate colours and never had so many "Aaarrrggghhs", toots and thumbs up ( well I think they were thumbs).

who'd have thought it, Pirates so popular  in landlocked rural Wiltshire.

1151 race number for Henley Half. 

• Chrissie was at finish of Bristol tri giving hugs so reckon as Tom racing she will be around on Sunday. 

• Red Stripe, you do know where the List Fairy lives, don't you?

• Yes List Fairy popped round to pickup as she let me borrow a top for Henley- taking on a test run before race day.

• Guys my training tonight has been excellent lamb bhuna rice and some poppadoms... Beat that!.... Serious note last weekend before the long day out!

• Blisters - please can you not post facts about me on a public forum without my permission.  I may have disclosed them myself, but they were relevant to the time and place where I posted them. Other people may not have seen the facts where they had previously been mentioned, and now you have brought them here when it is not up to you to do so. 

What's happens 'In A Thread' stays 'In A Thread' 

Sorry if that sounds grouchy but I am protective of my privacy and would like people to respect that

• Good training Whiz !!

BIg session planned for me later - lawn mowing with the possibility of garage tidying !

Have to say the less I do the worse I feel.  Also leaves more time to think and for a faffer like me that's not good image

Take care all....

• brookoCall brooko taper too me is the hardest part! Feels like I'm doing sod all.... But rest assured the hard work has been done! Feel confident, spend some time with the family and chill out as next week it's our time too shine image

• 1644 wave 3, all is good!

• Wave 4 on the half for me.  I had a great swim this morning, sighting getting better. I guess it's bit too late for starting some run training though. image

do I recall some mention earlier back of a 1pm registration meet-up? I'll be around.d then anyway for some retail therapy. I'll have my pirate buff.

• Il ba there at one soupy, I plan on getting some gels and drink stuff as I really rate the USN stuff it tastes brilliant and works well for me... They had some really good offers last year a box of gels for a tenner! 

Also had some great training I'm feeling strong on all 3 disciplines even swimming! I'm really holding back on cycling as I started sprinting up hills this morning in search of KOM's on strava....image

• Just had lovely ride with a mate...19 flattish miles at a nice social pace, then a 2 mile race up a big hill....we then stopped for coffee and apple cake....then raced back for 10 fast downhill / flat miles and stopped for a cream team....then gentle amble back..

I have to say I could get used to more coffee / cake / social riding it was good fun.

• Is the river at Henley tidal ?

hoping my wave coincides with tides, moon, sun & sewage flow for a fast swim.

Otherwise looking for a set ofriendly feet of wave 1 half

• I have too say I'm not a fan of coffee stops... It may be because I treat riding as "serious business" but mainly it's because I feel knackered after sitting about eating cake! Sociable riding is quite fun and on my cycle training I do have easy days which translates into me getting abused verbally heavily by my northern mate..actually good fun... He forces me too ride slowly with a high cadence... Instead of doing the typical tri-af-elite thing of SMASH every hill!

• Oops sorry, Schmunks. I hope you're not too offended.

Biking today.
    55 miles.
    Legs a bit pumped.

• Whiz..normally I would agree with you about coffee stops, and to be honest don't normally have time to stop, (as have it get back for work / dog / wife / kids) I also do circa 90% of rides solo (perhaps I should change my name to no mates image)  Funnily enough my mate is also northern, and also gave / gives me bags of abuse 

Blisters....thats a good cycle - are you planning any more openwater swims at Trench Lane this week ?  I was thinking of popping up maybe Wednesday to do a gentle / slow lap.

• A gentle lap? As in just the one? That doesn't sound like good value to me unless you paid for the season.

My diary has me hopping all over the place this week, but not Bristol.

A joglet or two would be enough for me, just to keep the calories balanced.

Hmm. I suppose that a pro would also be thinking about this week's diet:
    M,T,W on high protein low calorie (salads with chicken)
    Th, Fr, high carb low protein but keeping total calories balanced to the daily mileage.
    Sat: rather than carbo load and end up heavy for the race, I prefer to eat a normal loading. That way my internals function properly.
    Sunday: I'm going for Weetabix and a brew. Then queueing several times with nerves.

• Diet this week - food.

race day diet - porridge 5x cup O tea.... Sorted

• Blisters - that's good advice mate, thanks.  

Whiz - I have been trying to get used to / like porridge know it is great, but just can't stand the texture...will probably go with a bowl of granola.

Would be interested to hear what people are planning for nutrition during the race....as an over thinking faffer I haven't decided yet !

• Soooo much over thinking I'm starting too think all triatheletes are crazy... The chap I ride with from my road club is doing full Henley and he was properly bending my ear on everything! Look my advice is keep it simple and what your used too I personally eat fig rolls1 every 20 mins with a gel every 40 mins no science involved it worked for me last year did a good time so I'm doing something right! 

• on the bike, I've got a bottle with gels decanted into it, so I'll slurp some on the half hour, and on the hour have something solid - which in my case is either flapjack or a roast potato (image it works for me!) depending on what I fancy image

• I tried fig rolls, they were alright, but a bit dry if you are pushing hard. I've moved on to Tesco's own brand peanut chew.
    I tried banana for the first time today. What a bitch to peel when you are trying to hold a line in the chain gang, but easy to just swallow. I previously did try, but sat on it. Not a good look.
    Jamie, you did the right thing. Nothing new, regular intake, plenty of fluids.

Brooko, if you haven't been eating on the bike during the past 6 months it's a bit late to start thinking with 6 days to go. Of course there is the Barlos special: Cornish Pasties. My personal favourite was chips and salt, but you'll be needing a chip van for that.

Anyway, what does it matter, it's not like it's an Ironman.

• My stomach does an Alien impression on most sports drinks & gels! image 

So I have a patent banana loaf recipe that I use. Plus a bag of Haribo, jelly babies & nuts! I'm ok with nuun electrolite tabs so I have a couple of those in my bento box! Also in my special needs I have something like a penut butter & banana bagel plus banana & more haribo etc!!

• Haha blisters that made me chuckle...a Barlos special..... Cornish pasties! Man food! Or hang a bagel off your TT bars another pro trick! I hear you like things easy to swallow blisters...... Oh mate I'm going too give you some abuse for that on Saturday 

• Also I agree with haribo and jelly beans!

• I’ll be around the expo from 12:30is, with a pirate cap and/or hoodie, I'm sure there will be a few of us dress in a similar way so shouldn't be hard to find.

+1 to what whiz said Brooko don't try anything new on the big day with nutrition. I tried gels every 30mins instead of 45mins yesterday and had gut ache all day, tried and tested is the way forward.

Blisters - great advice for this week’s diet, I always struggle dropping my carb intake, I love bread/sandwiches and feel I need carbs to make a proper evening meal but I try hard in the last week of taper so I don't bloat.

Last long session yesterday, 35miles ride in 2hrs and 4 mile run in 30mins both felt good so taper has finally started to work. Recovery was a day at the Oval with a few mates and a 4pack.

Anyone else obsessing about the weather yet?

• I'm number 410 and so in wave 2.

• Just had a very pleasant 100 laps up and down the pool. Not sure I'm very good at this tapering malarky but I'm certainly doing less at the moment.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a weather obsession. BBC seems the be the best forecast for now - they're saying it'll be a bit sunny; lots of others saying rain.

I daresay I'll be about the expo at 12.30ish, suitably attired. Need to sort out how I get back down the road after racking and how also to cadge a lift to get back up the road on Sunday am

By this time next week the swim should be history!