PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• image Morning image   am too buzzing from yesterday to sleep image

What an awesome day, the support of my friends and family, and of course the pirates (both in Henley and online) was amazing. Got a bit of a sore throat from all the 'argh-ing' yesterday.

I will do a fullon warts and all race report in the next few days, but briefly... the swim went better than I could have hoped for (no panic attacks, and out of the water faster than I hoped for), the bike was mostly fine, though I developed back ache with a hint of sciatica plus a very tight left knee by 80 mile, and the run was a painful slog.

Star of the day for me was Little Sister, who helped calm me down before the race, and was on the towpath on every lap of the run asking if I was OK, then leant me her headtorch when the organisers had run out of them - she truly saved my day image and I'm so grateful image

(Oh, and I appear to have been 3rd in my age group image (of 5 starters!) so will be off to the awrds ceremony later with Whizzkid image

• Great racing pirates ! Some brilliant performances there.

Stars of the day were the supporters - so many Yarrs from so many people.

Thank you to everyone- it really made my day.
  • The challenge today will be actually stepping on to the podium as I really can't walk very well.... Or sit....lol :/

• A massive well done to all the pirates that raced and also a big pat on the back to the supports that did an awesome job on getting the Pirates home!

• Well done all. Top pirating. Can't wait to read back yesterday's arm chair supporting and the race reports in due course. 

• Amazing work all... treat day today! image

• Wow well done all Pirates top racing again.

• Congrats to the racers. It's really uplifting to read about your efforts and successes. Warms the heart and motivates me to get out training. Much kudos on your podiums, Whizz & Fraggle. It read from your earlier posts like you were going to kill it, Whizz. Bask in that glory image.

Sounds like the Pirate support was on top form too. Well done guys for making that effort.

• Well pirated folks - competitors and supporters - sounds like a lot of hard work went into the day (and all those looooong months before) and some great results at both ends of the field and the bit in the middle image

Looking forward to the reports image

Top pirating guys!

• Thanks to all pirates supporting and on course yesterday - you made my day, never had so much support in a race. Also from general supporters taking up the pirate cry as I passed.image

Brilliant - thank you, great first race in pirate colours and my first half ironman distance race. 

Full distance in Bolton next year and ironman 70.3 as warm up.

Got top ten, 7th in age group so more than happy with that. No podium but chuffed. Got back ache that I blame on Howe Hill, even the pros hated that one.

Great to meet many if you and put faces to profile names too image Hope to hang around a good while now. 

• Full respect to all pirate finishers especially the full distance racers- go pirates image

• Congrats all racers yesterday hope it all went well

• Well done you guys! image

• Has anyone managed to get their race tattoos off ? If so how and what with ? Think I'm branded for the month . 

• Race report!

as promised a waffle of a race report.... I will try not too bore you!

pre race Saturday!

Well as planned I was going too arrive at12:30 for meet up with pirates and briefing... This didnt go too plan... In true whizz fashion I was about a hour late.... So I just rocked into the briefing about halfway through, stayed for about 3 minutes as it was the most boring hing ever and buggered off too register... No que so it's a no brained really... Then proceeded to talk much crap too various pirates/club mates/anyone that listens around the expo! There were a lot of nervous people about, I don't get nervous really just excited.... I've done the work... I'm happy.... Anyway after setting up my bike In transtion, which took about 2 hours as I needed too fit a cadence sensor and a bottle holder (as I generally don't have one on).. I'm so disorganised I literally haven't sorted anything! Oh and I forgot my pump....obviously a pro in the making! So onwards too pizza night... This is where the real crap talk started... Trying to not be convinced into racing every race under the sun and generally eating my weight in bread and pizza... Oh and the legend that is coach Barlos was necking beers like a pro... Respect sir

Sunday

Pre race

Organised all my stuff at 4:30 am as I haven't done it previously! Trundled off too Henley.... Arrived and there is a lot of nervous athletes about... I still remain very calm and collected... I am however bouncing off the walls due too taper.... So anyway I prepped my bike... Tyre pressures, bento box with fig rolls and gels and a single bottle of electrolyte drink... So put the wetsuit on and toed the start line for a long ass day!

• Swim

Ok first off I suck balls at swimming! 6:30 came and the klaxon sounded... I settled into a relaxed rhythm.... I'm not going too win the race in the swim I know this, but I can sure as hell balls it up from here, it was actually quite pleasant for quite a while, until I noticed siting was a huge pain in the a$$ and the swimmer in front was clearly having a hard time too as he was zig zagging like he was on crack! Turn around came quickly and I hit it in about 39 mins...nice and steady. Back down the river and siting was now a huge pain... I went off course a few times and that would have cost me a bit... But apart from the odd slap from a fellow swimmer and my goggles being a bit tight all was good and arrived out of the water fine and feeling good.... Swim time 1:18

T1

Was quite casual about it.... As it was like a giant meet up with my tri club (team kennet) so I had too shell out some abuse.... Stuck me helmet on my noggin and ran off to grab my bike.... This is where my race starts....
    Approx 4:00 ish for t1

• Cycle

So jumped on the bike, realised within about 2 mins I could t see a bloody thing because of the mist and I had sun glasses on soo had too whip them off sharp ish before I ended up in a hedge! My heart rate moniter decided too say this "Hey! I hear your doing a important race! So I'm not going too work! Kind regards crappy garmin heart rate strap!" So I went on effort and cadence (I try too average 90-95) which in reality means nigh on 97. So I took the first hill easy staying aero and passing wave upon wave of cyclists, then at the top I let rip a bit shoving my avg speed up and over 21mph which is where it stayed for whole of lap one... Until I reached Howe hill and got a nice leg sapping climb this punched a hole in my speed a bit... But I kept the cadence a d seated climbing and approached the e d of lap one... Now first issue of the day arose here got to the turn around and realised some absolute twat of a driver had parked in the turn around for the bike causing me too get quite annoyed and made the poor bloke in front of me fall over....anyway as I passed the turn around there were these two ...hmm how can I put this...PIRATES... Known as prince sigefield and raf handing out a shed load of abuse which I loved! Lap 2 and fairmile climb was becoming a bit of a slog, still remained aero, but avg speed had dropped too 20.5mph which was annoying as I had a target but I figured with 2km of climbing a 21mph will hurt my chances of a decent marathon, so I continued on towards nettle bed and the sweet relief of the downhill and the joy of seeing my favourite iron cat in the hat manning the aid station, my speed was ok but I had the slog back too nettle bed and it is a right pain in the way up the second time, keeping a beady eye on my speed I went off to hit Howe hill again and managed 83.9kmph coming down... Sadly not that coming up though! I'm still feeling good and gave Barlos some abuse, which always lifts my spirits! The way back too Henley is a joy downhill the whole way pretty much, at the turn around siggy raf, mrs whizz, schmunks, the lot were there shouting which was brilliant! However my speed was concerning me as my averaged dropped too 19.5mph, so back up fairmile, couldn't hold aero, it hurt... Down toonettlebed... Then up and it hurt a d my avg was dropping slowly and by the time I got too Howe hill it had fallen too 18.7 mph... Time to burn a match, by this point people were walking up it (and down weirdly!) and got angry and stomped up it in a pb time, then hoofed it back too Henley... Speed back up too 19 mph bike time was 5:47.... Too sum it up the bike course is HARD and it hurts!

• T2

Quick toilet stop, and a chat too the Marshall while putting on my shoes who informed me I was at the pointy end of the field and I was lead long distance pirate... T2 time 2:24

Run

It all boils too this, I knew from the first few steps, this was going too be decent, it felt like I hadn't ridden a bike, but as ever I was cautious as last time I felt good and was reduced too a crawl on my last lap... I headed out on my first lap too a lot yaaaaarrrrggggghhhsss from the awesome crowds and pirate supporters on course, I kept pace steady about 8:30 which is nothing fantastic but felt good, every aid station was a quick walk too get fluids in and take a gel... The first lap I only saw a handful of long distance athletes and they were all serious guys and of course the pros, I was getting updates at aid stations where pirates where, lap one was steady and I'm feeling good, my voice is going horse now from shouting yarghs only 3 laps too go, still no sign from pirates on the course until towards the end of lap 2 when suddenly it's like the whole of the pirate ship had docked! Everyone was looking great, special mention to scuba who looked fantastic really holding it together! Too my dismay my mate had finished the half, which is great for him, however he was now drinking a beer giving me abuse, the git. Lap 3 by this point I had been joined by a fellow runner and we were running a similar pace, sticking too between 8:30-8:45 m/m pace the miles were falling off! However the other pirates told me to stop yacking and actually run hehe. The run was very I eventful really I was in a good place and started too wind the pace up at mile 22 and was confident in a sub 3;40 mara, I was thanking the marshals and the supporters all the way (I can't thank the supporters enough everyone was amazing thank you so much) I came into the finish area strong embracing the moment and had a great run and race! Run time 3:36

Total race time 10:49... A pb, a age group podium, and I beat 2 pros

• Once again thanks too all who raced, supporters, friends and family, you made my day brilliant, and the awards ceremony was awesome, Gladys shockingly got mincer award, I got fastest male!

• Nice stuff Whiz,  well done image

• Bloody well done to everyone, on and off the track.  Sounds like another briliant showing of the yella and blacks.  Awesome. 

• And the award for the reddest blush goes to:

The last man to arrive for the awards...

... running in at the back of the awards ceremony.....

WhizKid! image

• Hello Y'all

Thankyou for your encouragements around the route, I knew you were watching.

The timing thingummies must have had a wobbly out on course, because I made sure that I heard every bleep. I wasn't about to do another lap. All in all it was a rather long day, and it's starting to catch up on me. I stayed over and we had a Pirate "meet up" at lunch time, after two of them had picked up their age category awards. Real podium awards!

You want a bit of report?
    F. N. Cold. before the start, air temp 10, river 16. Ergo, foggy. Start delayed 10 minutes.
    Jumped in and paddled about a bit, then realised that I was plumb in the middle of the pack. SOD THAT! Swam away from the start to get to the back. As a result I experienced a polite swim. Temps felt OK, but I need another year of training to get a consistent stroke. Was plumb last in my age group out of the water, and failed to beat the guy who did granny stroke all the way.
    T1. The air hit me, and once out of the wetsuit I realised I was hypothermic. I was also in desperate need for a huge C.....visit to the tardis. And you lot were watching me.
    Seriously under-dressed for the first bit of bike. (Wet Monaco, wet shorts, dry arm warmers). I had to work the hills to get a bit of uncold into me. Gasping like an asthmatic at this point, too. Flat it wasn't, but equally, it wasn't Tenby, Nice, Zurich, or Tenerife. The bike course was like a bird's foot: three out and back sections with a short leg into Henley for another U-turn. I reckon that I did 17mph average for the first lap, this dropped to 16.4 by the second, and 15.5 by the end. The official stats are much kinder, so don't go blabbing.
    Feature of the route was Howe hill, 12 miles from the end of each lap ie 25, 62, 100. Speed down it was over 42 mph for me, going up it I clocked about 3mph the first time. The next two I decided to walk up the steepest bit as it was faster. Clearly I didn't have enough gears in the rears.
    On lap 3 it started to rain. Having just warmed up to a good biking temperature I now got wet, but at least the finish wasn't too far.
    T2, It was raining. I don't like getting cold and wet. Still, I did overtake 4 of my age group in transition. In fact, it seems like I overtook 6 in T1 despite having a Dr Who.
    Marathon: 4 nice and flat laps on an out and back course. Apart from the hump bridges.
    Lap 1: run at about 10 or 11m/m. I'm the Daddy.
    Lap 2: got to mile 8 or 10. Then took up power walking, because 13m/m was easier like that than the jolting jog. It also settled the stomach muscles. The digestive system continued to work just fine all the way through, just that running was not fun any more.
    Each lap went past the start/finish and at halfway the Race Director asked how I was.
    I lied.
    Lap 3: Some jog, some power walking. Then at mile 18 I suddenly felt great, despite it being an up-flat. I started to enjoy running again. Life was good. I am a marathon runner and this is home territory. Orange segments became the drug of choice. Even flapjack was palatable.
    Race Director sees me at the next lap start and asks the same question.
    I didn't lie. I was strong.
    Lap 4: Probably only power-walked one mile, but absolutely gunned the last couple. I was on fire. I may even have gone under 10 minute /mile.

Pirate support was awesome, and even the post race (alcohol free) beer tasted Ok. Good job I took some proper stuff for afterwards. I reckon that my voice has gone because of all the shouting "Yaaar".
    Special thanks to Schmunks and Cat5 for lending me proper cycle tops. Dickhead here should have worn one. At least I now know which size to order.

• Sod the race reports, the important question is, was Whizz able to do what was expected of him back home last night?! Or were you too stiff?! imageimage

• Nice report blisters! Cold?!? See rule no 5 of cycling and HTFU!

• Whizz fell asleep on the sofa so no!

NIce one Blisters - kit order goes in Fri so get a top ordered!

• Well done Whiz and Blisters!!  Good effort from both of you!