Lakeland 50/100

Comments

• You collect your road book and Harvey map at registration, Trex. Happy to email pdfs of last year's, if you'd like - just PM me image
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Race is dead easy mate. Turn up, get weighed, kit check, grab number/map/roadbook. Go for a run.

You can see the roadbook in advance on the competitors area of the website.

• The map is in the competitors area too - although it's now linked through to a mapping site rather than downloadable PDFs like last year. The website has everything you really need for the day and Marc L has just posted a list of what food is at the checkpoints on the L100 blog.

The videos that WiB was talking about were by John Kynaston and are on his blog and YouTube. Sarah Wilde has also posted some OS map fly throughs on YouTube (these are really damn clever)

The map book is really good - it helped me get all the way to Mardale without any issues and I didn't do any Recces at all last year. I guess it might also depend on how confident you are in your navigation skills though.

• Thanks guys. 

Some really good stuff here. 

I am on face book and if anybody wants to fiend me for ultra running purposes, my email address is bedavies@ntlworld.com

• I have now!

Cheers. 

• Sent you a request Ben as we seem to be crossing paths a bit this year......
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Just seen you on there Ben... sent you a request.

• When do enteries open for next year?   Think this will be my main one

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I think they opened Oct 1st this time around mate. Worth checking on the website shortly after this years race to see when they are opening them up for the next one.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the helpful info and links, guys.  I'll get round to looking at it all at some point.  At the moment I'm being woefully casual about the whole business.

• Trying to get motivated for this - done very little in the last fortnight due to a bad hip and was doing that much for a few weeks before that.

Hopefully I can get my body better and my head in a better state and a good base will hopefully suffice. Recce's.......nahhhhhh!!!

• Really think I could be in for this next year!   The tougher the better!

• Less than 3 weeks to go....

Did last "long" run on Saturday - 32 miles and about 4000ft of climbing in total with my new Raidlight pack over the North Downs way. Was out for about 7 1/2 - 8 hours. Everything seems to be working fine and thankfully I wasn't wasted at the end. So hopefully, all systems go!

Just had a look at some of the videos of the 50 route. Really useful - but does this count as cheating?image  I also noted they had some strange bright light and a sort of bluey colour in the sky on their reccie - I have no idea what was causing this phenomenon. Aliens perhaps? image

Hope you get back on terms with it Rich!

• Had to give the last long run a miss this weekend, because I developed a niggle while carrying the Real Relay torch.  Decided the smart thing would be to start tapering straight away,  Have ordered some debris gaiters, which I hope will keep my feet in a better state. 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

It's not so much the debris as the rocks. The phrase I have heard a few times to describe the course is "sustained brutality".

Have had a good last 3 weekends with saturday runs of 30, 55, 30 so I think I may well be at the end of my real long runs.

• Sustained brutality sounds about right - the soles of my feet took a bit of a pounding last year so I'll be using a more cushioned pair of trail shoes this year. Couldn't do much about all the loose rocks I kicked though image

I need to squeeze some runs in - not had much of a chance, which could end up being a Bad Thing.....

• I am new to this race, but the one thing that all veterans seem to agree on, is that it is a breaker of bodies! 

• I'm still 50:50.

Today is the first day for a couple of weeks that I have had any really enthusiasm for doing it - what with injured hip and general lethargy etc. Not run for the best part of 2 weeks - last decent week was early June, so I'll either be under-prepared or very well tapered!!

Going to try a decent run Wed or Thurs and then will decide

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Where do you get log in details from to enter the competitors' area of the website? Doesn't seem to anywhere saying "register now".

I think organisers are a bit remiss keeping entrants in the dark about the event with less than 3 weeks to go.  I've had lots of unwanted emails about recce days and nutrition, etc but nothing important - i.e. about the race!

• I was emailed the password to log on to the competitors area this morning T rex. 

Presumably you should have been also. 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

The log in details were sent out when you first registered mate. I will message you them dude...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

No - perhaps tomorrow.  Cheers.

• The original email that WiB mentioned was the confirmation of entry that came from SIEntries (with the subject line of "SIEntries - Confirmation"). It's got the username/password in it. All the information about the event has been up there for months.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Might have known Fellrunner would chip in.  You're not running this year, are you, buddy?

A coincidence that my post crossed with getting an email from the ROs with the log in details.  My first email from the Lakeland organisers about the event itself rather than endless ones about recces, nutrition, training, and who's who at the CPs.

I only post reports of the sort you describe, Fellrunner, where they seek to inform or entertain.  They probably wouldn't do either here.

Looking forward to my first event up country and wondering how the terrain will compare with the Brecon Beacons the hilliest area I normally run in.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Race pack has all the relevant info.  Quite late in the day in my opinion but not a big issue.

It doesn't say anything about it so I presume they are not offering a drop-bag system?  I generally use them for my special drinks, but for 50 miles it's not a great problem carring it all.

I wonder how you 100-milers manage, though?  Supplies handed from support crews are not allowed, and it's not always a good idea to experiment with a drink you're not used to from the CPs on race day.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

TR - I think it does mention it in the race pack, I have only read it briefly though. Also all the info has been available on the competitor area since they opened registration back on Oct, this race pack is just an up to date clarification I guess. There is 1 drop bag for 100 milers at Dalemain. None for the 50 milers apart from a bag that you can send back from the start to Coniston with any kit etc you have worn on the coach/before the start. Its not a problem to carry a few extra gels and some food and then fill up again at Dalemain really.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Yes, I see that now for you guys - I've read it properly now.

Expected leader to finish in 22 hours.  How about it?

Quite an extensive kit list, but I can see why if the conditions are anything like they are at the moment - which it looks like they will be, sad to say.  Will have to get hold of some base layers - haven't ever used them up to now.

It looks if anything I am going to have to upgrade my storytelling skills.  At the presentation they're giving spot prizes for race stories that make people laugh or cry!