Hill Running

I live in plmouth and unfotunately, ever time I go out running I can`t avoid hills, I don`t know if this is affecting my training as I don`t seem to cover the same weekly miiage as I feel I should be. I would be interested to see if anyone else suffers the same problem !

Comments

• Scott

Your not alone – I live in Derwentside in Co Durham – very hilly – I just make the most of things and use the advantage in “undulating” races and pass people in the climbs

For flat running I either drive down to the coast, or more often try to run routes the go along ridges of the hills rather than over them

Will
  • I'm envious - I live on a hill, and my workplace (from where I sometimes run - yes, it's that bad) is in a trough with hills on three sides. Problem is, these are Birmingham hills, which aren't hills at all really. So I could do with some proper hills on my doorstep.

But hill training is good for your legs and you'll really feel the benefit when you do race on the flat.
  • Scott, I hate hills too and avoid them all the time. But after a 10k race at the weekend on an undulating route where, in my eyes, I did terrible (3:35 over target and 2:21 outside of my pb), I shall not shy away from them in my training anymore. My friend, who I train with once a week, runs around Bexley and she is always training on hills. She beat me by 6 minutes in the race, whereas before on a flat 10k she was only 4 seconds ahead. I live on the North Downs and never run outside locally, but that shall all be changing.

I still hate the thought of hills though, but it will be worth it.
  • I live on the side of a fjord, so I can't avoid hills. I've only lived here four months and only been training for a about two of these months due to injury but the more training I do, the 'smaller' the hills become. I've just come back from a hilly 10 miler and really enjoyed it - I did the same route about 6 weeks ago and cursed every hill. So keep at it and the hills get easier. Honest!!!!
  • You have got to take the right attitude to them, my sometimes training partner is an ex Marine & he use to make us run up them on a regular basis, I hated them at first but now I get bored if the run is flat, they build up leg strength like nothing else & I find you can fit a really strenuous workout into 40mins before work that would be hard to do on a flat surface.

• Learn to love hills; for a start try taking a hilly route and only working up the hills, everything else is a recovery jog. When you reach the top don't forget to look back to see how far you have come. I sometimes stand at the top shouting "Ha! thought you could beat me did you, well you're no hill, I've seen steeper cambers on roads...". Sorry, must go, my medication is ready.
  • Cheers for the replys. Good to know I`m not in pain alone !
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I've just moved to the hilliest part of north London, from the complete flat of central London. I am really noticing it! My flat is right at the top of one of the biggest hills in the locality, which means that I either have a steep climb at the start or end of my run. I've been running a 3.6 mile route and a 5.5 mile route, and I'm definitely slower than over my old flat route.

I find the hills quite a challenge, and keep telling myself that when I come to race I'll be at an advantage because all those hills will have made me stronger and fitter. That said, I've just returned from a two-week absence from running (hectic week at work followed by a week's holiday) and yesterday had to stop and walk a couple of times on my usual route. I hate the fact that fitness takes so long to achieve, but is lost so quickly - although getting back to the same fitness level takes less time than it used to.
  • Yeah thats a problem I find, if you have any sort of rest say through injury it takes a while before you can push up the hills