Pedals and cleats

Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Hello. Having acquired a lovely bike, with spd-sl pedals, now I need to get some shoes, but I'm on a really tight budget. I've seen the range of Muddy Fox Road Shoes on the Sports Direct web site and they all say they're compatible with 'Look' cleats.

This means nothing to me. Will the combination work?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/cycling/cycling-shoes

Comments

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

they are nice and cheap! The couple that I clicked on say 'compatible with spd-sl and look cleats' - so yes, they would be ok,

do you have some cleats to put on them?

I have to admit that I  know very little, bought the shoes in the same shop as the bike and the nice man in the shop put the cleats on the shoes for me!

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    They look like a real bargain to me. I've been so confused over them I've actually avoided going to a shop to ask! I don't have the cleats yet so that'll be the next purchase.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

they'll do the job but I suspect for that price they won't last long

you will find a lot of places will sell the cleats - most bike shops and online retailers but oddly not SD.   as you have Shimano spd-sl pedals buy the compatible cleats - cleat designs are largely incompatible so Shimano with Shimano, Look with Look etc.  there are some 3rd party companies that produce cleats for the big brands but until you know more stick with the compatible names

have fun falling off the first few times you use them as you'll forget you're clipped in...image

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

So, for my SPD-SL pedals I can buy SPD-SL cleats, put them on Look compatible shoes. Excellent!

I've never tried clips before so I think these will do while I work things out. Thanks for the advice fb. I'll wear some extra padding! Intending to cycle Box Hill in Dorking this lunchtime. It's just been re-surfaced for the Olympics!

Snap! wrote (see)

So, for my SPD-SL pedals I can buy SPD-SL cleats, put them on Look compatible shoes. Excellent!

I've never tried clips before so I think these will do while I work things out. Thanks for the advice fb. I'll wear some extra padding! Intending to cycle Box Hill in Dorking this lunchtime. It's just been re-surfaced for the Olympics! 

not quite - the shoes are compatible with EITHER Look or Shimano cleats (they have a range of holes on the sole that will match with the cleat design) but Shimano cleats must go with Shimano pedals and Look with Look - Look cleats will not fit into a Shimano pedal

and you're trying the clipless pedals for the 1st time on Box Hill??  if so, a word of advice - don't.  get used to them on a flat area first until you venture onto a hill.   

• Agree - lean on a wall at home, and practice unclipping first.

Bad idea to hit a hill first time out.

• I heard Leith hill was much better for first timers? image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    ??  if so, a word of advice - don't.  get used to them on a flat area first until you venture onto a hill.   

I second that!  Preferably an area out of view and with no traffic.

It took me three falls (but no sumission!) to realise that my natural instict is to put my left foot down.  Even if I've unclipped my right foot image

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Ok. So I broke a pedal on Ranmore today. It wasn't pretty, but I did find it funny and I didn't fall off. And I haven't got the shoes yet because they're mail order.

But I do take your point. Flat surface first!
  • Snap! wrote (see)
    Ok. So I broke a pedal on Ranmore today. It wasn't pretty, but I did find it funny and I didn't fall off. And I haven't got the shoes yet because they're mail order.

But I do take your point. Flat surface first!

how on earth did break a pedal Snap?

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    The thread in the crank disintegrated. I was more than a little surprised. I now have my eye on a campagnola crank set on eBay! Now, where is all my money going? Oh yes, wetsuit, bike, shoes... I guess that's just the way it is now!
  • Box Hill is flat - fact.

I can prove it - watch the Olympics and see.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Go there on Saturday and laugh at a few hundred people running up and down it twenty times over the course of 30 miles (Trionium 'Picnic') - it's not flat, but it will be 

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

So now I've broken a pedal (though in truth I think it's the thread in the crank that's gone) - I now have a fairly lame excuse to upgrade and choose the best pedal system. Out of interest, what's everyone's opinion on the best clipped pedal system?

Snap! wrote (see)

Out of interest, what's everyone's opinion on the best clipped pedal system?

ask 10 people - you'll probably get 10 different answers

I use Look Keo, my missus has Shimano -  the cleats on the Keo's wear down quickly compared with the Shims.   others will swear that Crank Brothers or Speedplays are the best.

they all work so basically choose what your budget allows and what you fancy.  one thing to note is because the cleats are not interchangeable, once you settle on one make you tend to stick with it for any other bikes or you'll end up spending way more than you need with different shoes for different bikes. 

• I note you have your eye on a Campag crank.
    What is the rest of your gearing made up of ? How many gears have you got?
    10sp can't be mixed with 9sp as the chains are slightly different in size.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

You see? This is why I need professional help (in more way than one).

My bicycle is an 80's CCM with a 10 speed Suntour gearset. 

I think you would have a problem with using a Campag crank on that setup which is pretty old 

I'd talk to your local bike shop who could advise better