Outlaw last minute questions ??

Comments

• I'm going straight for the EPO option.

• The immodium is purely for security. Hoping I won't need it. A couple of years ago I finished Bala not knowing which way my stomach wanted to explode first!! I'd rather not go through that again! image

kittenkat wrote (see)

Does taping help with anyone's injuries?

Not with mine, my problem is with impact on the joint not stability!

• seren nos wrote (see)

all this talk of immodium and tablets..................just a reminder it probably not the best time to start experimenting with new drugs..............

What about the Pirate mantra of try something new on race day ????

(I started experimenting with drugs in the 70's, perhaps it's time to try again ?)

• diclofenac is voltarol if thats any use to you, and like seren said - i take painkillers with me but only use if i need to - theres a risk of increased heart rate which can obviously be detrimemtal

• Ibuprofen can affect the way the kidneys work, better option is paracetemol...or crack.

• kittenkat wrote (see)

Does taping help with anyone's injuries?

I'm getting my ankle, and possibly my knee, taped by the physio tomorrow before heading up. My ankle still feels week so will just be grateful for any additional support it can provide, my knee feels better but may still have some kinetic tape on to counter-act the poor technique that led to ITB issues (caused from the aforementioned ankle problem)

• Ibuprofen is not a good drug for endurance athletes, at least thats what a lot research claims.

If youre contemplating taking drugs to get yourself through first ask yourself if you really need them, secondly go and see a doctor/pharmacist.  Im sure the forum is a wealth of knowledge on many subjects but if there is one thing you should see a professional about its taking drugs.

• O.rangeCannon I came, I saw, I knitted wrote (see)
    C02 is easy, if you buy a inflator that protects your fingers...
    Otherwise they will stick to the cannister when it goes to -15 when the tyre goes whoosh 

One of my favourite comedy moments is recalling Smiffy experimentally licking a CO2 cannister having fixed someones puncture for them.  The cannister stuck.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Ibuprofen is not a good drug for endurance athletes, at least thats what a lot research claims.

If youre contemplating taking drugs to get yourself through first ask yourself if you really need them, secondly go and see a doctor/pharmacist.  Im sure the forum is a wealth of knowledge on many subjects but if there is one thing you should see a professional about its taking drugs.

and many professionals have no effing clue about using meds in endurance events

the evidence on using ibuprofen in endurance events is sketchy to say the least.  one study was done on it's use by ultrarunners and the general conclusion was that it's not suitable to use regulalry to prevent ultra pain.  well - duh - tell me something that isn't from the Uni of Stating the Bleeding Obvious.

but that's the key with strong painkillers - only take them if you NEED them, not if you THINK you need them.   don't train using painkillers as they can mask underlying serious issues, but for one off use in a race, then they are fine if taken ar recomended levels.   they are meant to get you to the finish, not to solve any major issues.

and frankly if you's starting the race knowing that you need painkillers to see you through then you are your own worst enemy.  you know you shouldn't be racing so don't.

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    Why the immodium?

Less invasive than a cork.

• Barley, quite right! image

• F.oggy wrote (see)
    Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    Why the immodium?

Less invasive than a cock.

I'll take your word for that, F.oggy, but it sounds logical. Unless it's a jumbo immodium being compared to a very small cock. And besides, regardless of the size of the cock, you'd struggle to cycle with somebody hanging out of your back doors.

• But if he's that close to have his cock up your arse then surely he's 'drafting'?!!  image

• I will stick with the immodium and scrub the anal sex ( never use something new on race day)

I occasionally take the odd couple of ibos on long rides if my back is playing up and carry a couple IF i need them during races but i aint munching em like smarties are a couple of ibos going to affect you medically? After all they are designrd to be taken when in pain wheres Flowerpower when you need her shes a doc
  • I see we are allowed gloves and booties for the swim now ?  I've not used booties for swimming before but I do have some thick ones for kayaking in. Do you reckon I'll be OK swimming in them ?  (I may check they float before I try this !)

• Cougie - in 18C surely not that cold is it?

• Dustboy will surely be wearing his Gimp mask as well as the gloves and booties!!  image

• Gloves?  I know the Blue Seventy booties are approved for racing Ironman (loads were wearing them at Coeur D'Alene) but im surprised about the gloves, my Blue Seventy ones are webbed and would definately give a swim advantage.

Anyway, its not really cold though is it.

• Is it 18 ? I've just seen it described as mid teens - which is a bit cold for me - I was getting cool in the lake I use at 15 degrees. By comparison Frankfurt was 25 degrees 2 years back. 

BB - you cant use webbed gloves - that isnt allowed - but normal neoprene ones are OK. 

• Based on sea swims down here which have been fine i am going with 2 swim caps and the wetsuit and should be fine and i feel the cold
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

I was in the sea last night - 16C - no gloves or boots and a single swimcap.  I was warm enough to strip the wettie off in the water at the end.  OK - it was only 30mins but you'll be fine without extra stuff

• On the grounds tha  my hands an feet are normally like block of ice, it's probably not going to bother me too much!! Just make sure there's enough fluid on board for the emergency heating system if required! image

• Removed cos of a double post!! Blooming computer!

• Cpt.Jack sparra wrote (see)
    What do you eat on the morning ? I ws just gonna get up about 4 ish and have porridge n fruit etc , but I'm being told that I should also get up at about 1am and have 1500ish calories and then have breakfast 3 hours later ? No way will I get back to sleep if I get up and eat at 1 ??

Been asking bookie a lot of stuff like this because I came unstuck on the run in 2010 and that's basically what she's said. Personally I probably going to have problems getting to sleep so going to try it and stuff some choclaote down me at about 5 just as a top up.

cougie wrote (see)

I see we are allowed gloves and booties for the swim now ?  I've not used booties for swimming before but I do have some thick ones for kayaking in. Do you reckon I'll be OK swimming in them ?  (I may check they float before I try this !)

Got some bootie's to becaue used to do kayaking and might have changed but as far as I know they are banned for open water races. IT's not going to be that cold through matie so I wouldn't worry about them.

• BTF rule book states;

9 Swimming

9.1 Competitors shall use no aid other than a cap, goggles, nose clip and costume, which may be a wetsuit, for open water swims.

9.2 A wetsuit may consist of up to three separate parts. the wearing of wetsuit leggings only, gloves and/or socks is not permitted. The maximum permitted thickness of material is 5mm. This thickness also applies to any overlap of material/s.

• looks like outlaw have overruled for some reason....................I have blue seventy booties and gloves..............

the boots definitely slow you down.so take that into condsideration................you will also be swimming a bit harder than normal due to the race situation.....

and the gloves are definitely slightly web so would give an advantage..........not sure  how they will marshal that

seems like a silly change as people should have been used to swimming in the cold if they have prepared.............the lakes have been colder than usual this year