First timer questions!

Hello all,

I've been running for years, but over the last six months I've really stepped up my training and I've realised that I'm capable of pushing myself much further. Soooo, I decided to take on a triathlon! I've done some swimming and cycling on and off over the last few years, but I don't currently have a bicycle of any sort, and I've never done OW swimming, so I don't have wetsuit or similar. My questions are:

What are the absolute bare essentials for a sprint tri?

And how should I tackle the bike question?

I'm off to uni in a few months and I need a bike for general getting about, would a cheap used road bike cover my requirements, or do I need two separate bikes?

Thanks! image

Comments

• A second hand road bike would be fine as long as it fits you

If the swim is in a pool then you wont need a wetsuit

Bare minimum (nice pun!)  would be trainers and a cycle helmet ... throw in a pair of shorts and at shirt and you are good to go   image

• The bloke at my local cycle shop is going to have a rifle through his stock and give me a ring, fingers crossed he'll have something suitable!

M...eldy wrote (see)

If the swim is in a pool then you wont need a wetsuit

The BUCS competitions are held in pools, but my uni's tri club trains in the sea, so I may have to invest. I've read about wetsuit rentals, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it. Opinions?

Also, is a chat with the nice man at halfords needed to pick up helmet etc, or can I wander in and buy the first (and probably cheapest) thing I find?

Thanks

• Yes you can rent a wetsuit, certainly worth it for a weekend or a season to see if you are committed enough
    Pretty much a Hellfrauds one will see you through

• I suspect at Univeristy there will be quite a few who have all the bling. However you could swap my bike for the worst, my trainers for the cheapest, my helmet for a second hand wand and my trisuit for some budgie smugglers.

I would still be rubbish but maybe 10-minutes over an IM and a minute over a sprint. But I would have a lot of attention due to the budgie smugglers!

Crap gear is fine, when you are top 10 maybe get some better gear - or when you can afford it without blinking (probably be 40+).

Personally some tri-shorts are worth it. I use mine for cycle training, swimming at push and even running if running shorts in the wash. They are one of my most ued pieces of kit. Except waterproofs this year.

• m.eface wrote (see)

I suspect at Univeristy there will be quite a few who have all the bling.

In the club photos they've got the special shoes, the fancy bikes, even the personalised tri suits image

I've whittled my shopping list down to: goggles, swim cap, wetsuit, bike, helmet and maybe a cheap tri suit (I don't trust myself to change in transition without quite literally making a tit of myself!) I've already got trainers, tights, tshirts and stuff from running - a far more cost effective discipline!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I got a new 2 piece tri suit off ebay for £15 and it's brill.

• Aldi have done tri suits in the past and they're good.
  • mikasa wrote (see)

I got a new 2 piece tri suit off ebay for £15 and it's brill.

cougie wrote (see)
    Aldi have done tri suits in the past and they're good.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look! Someone also mentioned to me that aldi/lidl sometimes do wetsuits etc

• I would definite hire a wetsuit rather than buying a cheap one  image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

aldi/lidl wetsuits aren't for tri use - they're not good enough for swimming in as they aren't flexible around the shoulders.  basically cheap wetuits for pissing around on a board etc

don't get tempted by a cheap wetsuit just 'cos it's cheap - make sure it's suitable for swimming in first

• And you need to be careful that you get a proper swimming wetsuit not one of the surfing types. 

Hiring is the best bet for the first year at least as it needs to fit so you need to try it on.  They feel very tight when on but you don't want gapping which will create drag.