Outlaw 2012 race reports

Comments

• Don't mix those creams with the double cream in the fridge image
  • M...eldy wrote (see)

Come on Max .. this is longer than your transition  image

Oh, I can't wait for yours !

• Iron Muffin wrote (see)

Brilliant reports one and all, thank you

Mine is WIP. For now I can update on tonight's shopping trip.....

Thrush cream, haemorroids cream, athletes foot powder and champagneimage

PMSL, that is one f*ck_d up lady garden. Not so sure the bubbles will help in that area though

• Ridgebackmax.......brilliant report. Made me chuckle and nope you weren't in the grumpy pirate camp.....always smiling when you passed me.
  • Iron Rose wrote (see)
    Iron Muffin wrote (see)

Brilliant reports one and all, thank you

Mine is WIP. For now I can update on tonight's shopping trip.....

Thrush cream, haemorroids cream, athletes foot powder and champagneimage

PMSL, that is one f*ck_d up lady garden. Not so sure the bubbles will help in that area though

After a few bottles of bubbly, who'll care?  image

• Iron Rose wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Come on Max .. this is longer than your transition  image

Oh, I can't wait for yours !

I may need to employ some creative writing image

• (it’s a long one – I have time on my hands)

My spotty satnav was delivered to my door on Friday morning so I tested its skills with a tour of MK on a hunt for cheap fuel, once done we headed up the motorway to the land of felt hats and green tights.

Arrived and registered and sat in the sun having lunch outside by the grandstand and admired the view of the lake remarking what a fecking long way it was …luckily being a pirate we were rewarded with a customised Buff and not for the first time I felt sorry for the rest of the competitors who received the usual paper spam in the ‘goody’ bag.  Me and the dodgy satnav eventually found our way to the hotel after pending a few minutes in the carpark of the wrong one only to find it was next door.  An afternoon of faffing and bag packing ensued and it transpired that Mouse did not have ‘a spare of everything’ as I parted with my heartrate monitor strap  ???

We honed out ‘herding cats’ skilz and managed to get into Zizis for supper on Friday night after many tweets and texts going between various hostelrys and then  back to the bar for a medicinal pint of Guinness (honest guv).  Saturday dawned and the day appeared to have landed in the middle of November, we (I) had decided to go for the practice swim at 11, rack the bike and then briefing at 1300 and that plan very nearly worked too!!   Practice swim turned into watching some of the Speedo swims that were taking part on the Saturday and seeing what colour people were when they got out … no one was a bad shade of blue so I decided that the practice wasn’t needed and it saved drying out a wetsuit overnight.  Bike racked, borrowed a waterproof bike cover from Meli and secured tightly to stop the whole lot doing a Mary Poppins overnight and checked the exit and entry signs to avoid a repeat of Austria when I had no clue where to go and seconds to spare!!  
    You exit transition and then head out and up to the top of the tents where you were allocated a peg for your bags and this tent was used for both transitions (it was a reeeeeallly long way Mr Rose !!!!)   Having all bags in the same place made the need for duplication much less but as I had most of my kit split between two bags anyway I kept it that way and plus the fact I didn’t trust the weather much either!!

Historically I have never ‘slept’ the night before an Ironman and Saturday night was no different, we ate in the hotel and was in bed by 2030 trying to go to sleep, I was tired but sleep was not going to happen although I felt quite rested and my heart was not trying to escape its cavity as it usually does, I felt quite relaxed and fairly leapt out of bed at 0345.   Coffee and water bottles done me and the Mousey one left the hotel for our VIP parking spot and arrived just about 0500.  Lots of groups of pirates stood around in portaloo queues looking for a tactical pee. Someone had kindly ripped off my bike cover which was nice!

The Swim – expected 1.11 – actual 1.18

My swim prowess has been well documented this last few months but I was well aware of my track record when it comes to race day !!  had spent the last few days talking tactics about where to start in order to give myself the best opportunity of winning image
    Managed to convince Max to start at the back of Bay 2 whilst I followed Barleys tactic of starting at the back of Bay 1 behind the really quick ones and getting clear water behind them.  The initial 100m or so was really busy and I could not get my head in the water let alone get into a good rhythm and made my way over to the left hand side, my safety blanket was knowing that I could stand t

• The Swim – expected 1.11 – actual 1.18

The initial 100m or so was really busy and I could not get my head in the water let alone get into a good rhythm and made my way over to the left hand side, my safety blanket was knowing that I could stand there if needs be and this is what I did several times in order to get my breath and recompose (Recompose, not Decompose) 
    I did find relative clear water for a while and made good progress up to the turn buoy and got a good turn across to the back straight home,  it was at this point where having turned to my right for a breath I noticed a pair of huge black feet and a white undercarriage as a swan tried to use me as a launchpad for his take off – it was all I could do not to laugh and probably drown as a result !!!   After the second turn it was at this point (havig hit a busy patch again) I checked my watch and was a little disappointed to see 45 mins had passed, knowing how much distance was left to go I had a bit of work to do.  Looking back now and knowing that I did that return leg in 33 mins shows how much time I lost but it also shows what time I could be capable of and I shall take that as a positive and a 12 min pb!

T1 – errr 8 mins or so ?  ???

It was a long way and there were huge puddles in transition and I didn’t want to get wet socks so I put bike shoes on and waddled in them instead, met up with lots of girlies in T1 as I think the majority of the PSOF crew seem to have done a 1.18 swim !!

• he Bike -  expected 7.00-7.15 – actual 7.25

I felt quite sick after the swim, quite used to that as well with or without the swim as I am still a fairly ‘nervous’ cyclist and it takes me a while to settle, having spoken to the good Admiral we had worked out a nutrition strategy and the aim was to take a whole bottle of High 5 in the first hour and then start on the gels every 30 mins and top up with High 5 from the aid stations.  It wasn’t long before I realised that either the magnet on the front wheel had moved or I had put it on the wrong side but my bike computer wasn’t picking up a signal but luckily I had my Garmin on so it wasn’t all bad.  Had decided against using the Multisport function as I don’t think I get the alerts I had set for the bike and run to remind me to eat (not something that is usally a problem in real life)!!
    I know what my averages have been in training and a sub 7 bike I believed was on the cards but I think I realised pretty soon into the course that this was unlikely … that feckin wind as vile !!!  passed through 33 miles at bang on 2 hours and then 50 miles in 3.10 and so on, keeping a check on the increments.  The first loop was not too bad I think (I find it very hard to remember significant things about bike courses) was pleasantly surprised about Oxton as it really was a pimple!  A fair few crap swimmers started passing me as we slogged on through the wind …
    I was a little surprised at The Red Arrows fly past, a nice touch but I think a better goody bag would have been more useful.
    As we turned into the second loop the wind got more extreme as the countryside opened up and it came at us from all sides, open gateways were a nightmare and it tested all my nerve and skill in one go, I did have a little chuckle knowing that I had entered Lanza not two days before although somehow wind in sunnier climes never seems quite so bad ….  ???
    I had had a text from Bassy ‘keep in the moment’ that went around my head quite a few times on that bike course, I just wish it could have been a different moment !!  An email from Rosey making sure I tell myself I am awesome although I took some convincing of that fact!!  I think it must have been around 70 miles when I became aware of lower back pain, I have suffered before but not for a long while and I think again on reflection that I must have altered my position working against the wind and I hit a bit of a low point for a while.  I only had 1 ibuprofen with me and had to stop to dig it out of my bento box and then carried on battling the elements.
    Approached the Pirate feedstation with a huge grin as the signs started appearing and I knew what to expect next …. Not one race report will have omitted the PSOF Feedstation, it is OUTSTANDING, the lift you get going through there once is enough but to go back through again!!   If Carlsberg did feedstations they would come to us for advice  ???
    I took the opportunity for a quick wee stop, thank you to whoever held my bike!
    I was still conscious of my bike time and went through 100 miles at 6.30 hrs and mental calculations had me coming in at 7.15 at current speed and I could live with that!   I hadn’t banked on the spot of off roading that was to come – those roads were seriously offal.  It is what it is, everyone was dealt the same cards and at the end of the day taking 35 mins off my bike time I have to be pleased with.

• T2 – errr 5 mins ish?

Saw FB and Petal as I came in off the bike who said they had been worried about me .. I didn’t ask why!
    Weather had improved somewhat and knowing I could stop back in the tent for anything that I needed I kept my bike top on, trainers on and off I trundled out on to the run course with a Mouse for company

The Run – expected 5.00-5.15  actual 5.32

The planned run ratio was 4/1 and I set off with that in mind from the off and felt quite good and comfortable, past Pirate corner and very nearly took the wrong route until I was reminded that I needed to do a lap of the lake first !  Picked up my first banc which was a huge mental positive even if I did know I had only done less than a mile!!  Out to the top and the lake and then straight into that feckin wind!!!   All the way back down passed the finish shute and off out on the out and back, out and backs are fabulous, you get to see most of the pirates and exchange insults every time although with 80+ competitors I decided against high-fiving them all !   Saw Max at some stage on the run, he looked very fresh after his swim draft  ???   Not bad for an old codger!   I was about to say I had a hug with Hope on the run, I think I did but then again by that stage it could have been anyone!  I think it was then that I saw Meli being chased down by the womans lead bike, she was either winning or had nicked something!  I will admit to a tear or two at that stage, I was just so pleased for her.
    I picked up Horse and Gasbag on the way round and they joined in the 4/1 like rats following the Pied Piper … it was nice to have the company guys thank you!   The run was pretty uneventful, the time went quickly and I think it was an excellent course, going past the finish shute every time was a huge boost as the black n yeller crew grew in the grandstand and the advance party by the lake got more and more raucous as the day went on!  I ran (I felt) strongly and more than I have ever run in an IM before and consistently apart from the blips round the lake and again on reflection the run bit needs to be a bit quicker as I was disappointed with the time although I sneaked in a pb of a few minutes.

It’s a strange old world when a pb is not good enough, I took 1.15 off last years time and 50 mins off my best yet still did not meet my own expectations,  I have found the positives and I am pleased but I am also a little bit cross (still).  No one prevented me from achieving.

Many discussions take place at this time of the year as to whether IM is possible for anyone, in essence, of course it is, unless you have some physical limiter then it is possible, you have to want it, you have to put in the hardwork and the mental effort but the last 20% is the Pirate effect, I have no doubt that we would not have the level of success that we have without this very special group of people, athletes, volunteer, supporters, family, dogs, the lot.

My personal thanks to the Twitterati girls, such amazing support through the year from you all, to my roomie Mousie for being so easy to live with, Rio and Gary for their amazing chauferring & baking skills! 
    To poor old Rosey who has put up with me for many years now and continues to be a constant supply of advice and support and without whom I would probably still be faffing about in transition.

Pirates rock  ???

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Oh God, I can't believe how it still gets smokey in here!!!!

Nice one lady, I'm glad I wasn't the roomy from hell.

• Notepad still fecks up the formatting ... all those '??' need to be some sort of smiley, i'll let you decide which ones  image

• well done Mouldy, a pb is a pb and all thats learnt will be an aid to the next one. I must admit that I won't be able to moan as much for next years transitions either as Lanza is one of the longest !

Nice work champ.

• JjJj ✭✭✭

*sniffle*

edit: and by the way, your satnav was NOT dodgy!

"Turn right at this junction."

Meldy turns left.

"I said turn right."

"Oh. Did you? LOLOL!"

¦oD

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Ok relay race report.   Sitting on the bed at silly o'clock in the hotel trying to force down a rather soggy chicken caesar wrap i felt quite emotional, as it was only a few months back that there was a possibility that i would have to withdraw from the Outlaw.  A trapped nerve in my back had halted my running and then to top it all my beloved bike "the yellow peril" decided it had had enough and was forced to retire to the garage.image  Thanks to the wonders of facebook and the runners world forum i was able to find a running buddy ...... Andy Greenhalgh/Vikingimage   As it happens Andy was also having problems with his training (swimming and cycling were not his favourite) and was concentrating more on his running.  He too was afraid he may have to withdraw from the Outlaw.   The day my new bike was delivered i was like a kid on Xmas day.  The delivery guy looked at me like i was as mad as a box of frogs as i raced out of the back door to greet him.   My Roo had arrived and a new friendship formed, although a little bit of me felt sorry for my old bike standing alone in the garage.   After all it had got me through 2 half-ironman and the Outlaw last year.

And so off to HPP.   SA and Jordy gave me a big hug before they set off for the feedstation.   I made last minute checks with my bags and bike and tried to chill before the swim.   Only 1 toilet visit!!!  (unlike last year)image   Bumped into lots of pirates ... Slagiatt, Flatfooted, Horse, Ditchy.  Saw a very nervous Cake and had a hug.  Coming out of bike transition  i bumped into my relay buddy, Viking.  He could tell i was nervous and gave me a big hug and words of encouragement.   Wetsuit on i headed on down with everyone to the swimstart.    Nervous chatter echoed round the edge of the water.  Had a group hug with Cake and Bburn Plodder, exchanged good luck wishes and we were off.   It took a while to get into some sort of rhythm as i kept getting kicked and i couldn't find a gap to swim.  Eventually managed to find a space for myself and got my head down.  I was enjoying it.  Must have been too much in the zone on the mile back to the start as i started to dragged my knuckes on the lake bed.  I looked up and was about a foot from the bank. image  SA did the same last year!!!     Managed to get back to where i should have been and carried on.   Swim time 1:20:33    I was absolutely made up with the time.  6 minutes faster than last year.  image  

Wetsuit off i headed into T!.   Faffed about, faffed about some more and had an argument with a marshall as to where my kit bag should be, bit more faffing .... headed out to the bike.  Time in transition 13:05:01   ...... back of the net!!!!  image

Out on the bike i had a bit of deja vu going back to Flat out in the Fens 2 weeks back.   Wind, wind and more wind.   I found that shaking your fist at the sky does help!!   Had a few bad moments where i wanted to get off the bike, sit at the side of the road, cry and then fall asleep.   Seeing the pirate signs gave me a huge lift.  Couldn't wait to see SA, Jordy and all the other pirates at the feedstation.  I remember shouting "your're all nutters" as i rode past.   You guys are amaz

• I have just spent two hours reading all reports... excellent work. image

Still havent started mine though yet!!

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

You guys are amazing.    Pirates rock.   Getting towards the end of the bike leg i caught up with Meldy, Ferodo and Iron Tractor Boy.   Getting up to the dismount line i spotted a beaming Viking.  Exchanged hugs and wished him well on his marathon.  Bike time 7:18 ... something image

Hobbled off to find SA and Jordy, devoured a burger and downed a couple of pints. Lovely!   Time to cheer on all my pirate buddies.  GO PIRATES!!!

Just looked back at my report ..... i know i am crap in transition, but believe me my time in T1 was not 13 hours .... honestly .... typing error image

A fantastic day.  I love racing in black and yellow.  I am proud to be a pirate.

• 13 minutes !!!!!   Makes mine look sooper speedy   image

• Melds what a lovely report.

"Many discussions take place at this time of the year as to whether IM is possible for anyone, in essence, of course it is, unless you have some physical limiter then it is possible, you have to want it, you have to put in the hardwork and the mental effort but the last 20% is the Pirate effect, I have no doubt that we would not have the level of success that we have without this very special group of people, athletes, volunteer, supporters, family, dogs, the lot."
     I love this and completely agree. Ironman is doable for most, but you've got to want it, and you have to be willing to pay the price to cross that line.       
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Great report Melds image
  • Great reports ladies image. Keeps last weekend going a while longer! Re the whole 'you need to want it and put in the hard work' stuff, i totally agree. I also think you need to believe you can do it too, as i know i doubted myself too much, which affected my training too. I do think i've got an IM in me, but last year taught me i need to up the base fitness first and shift some timber first. In the meantime it is awesome being support you lot, can't get enough of it! image
  • Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Brill race report Meldy.

• Lee you have deffo got an IM in you but you hit the nail on the head an autumn/ winter consistently working on your limiters should see you top line for starting training much more positivley mentally in the spring. If you realy want it commit 100% and go get it girl!

Meldy great if a touch longimage report spritely for an old one indeed image

I forgot about the Red Arrows!
  • Thanks RBM image not having a sporty background (and loving cake too much) means i really do need to work on those limiters first. I'm looking forward to making good progress before the spring image

Wish i'd seen the red arrows fly over, how cool!
  • I didn't see the Red Arrows. But as I hadn't got my specs on I might have missed them !

Solid winters work Lea and you will be fine
  • Ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    Meldy great if a touch longimage report spritely for an old one indeed image
    I forgot about the Red Arrows!

A little like my race then image

I did forget one little quip that I heard several times during the day and one of which was from TC who was doing this days after finishing the Deca when I asked him 'dont you ever rest?'
    his reply was 'If you dont try, you never know'

heard a few times from different people and it got me round the lake in 30 mins when I realised I could get 14.30 !

• JjJj ✭✭✭

I didn't see the Dead Sparrows! image

Though they did fly over Meldy and me on the M1 on Friday...perhaps they were en route?

• There were 3 of them then Spotty?  They saw me and came back in stronger numbers    image

• And got lost between Friday and Sunday Jj?!!  imageimage