2013 IM Mentoring

Comments

• Ridgebackmax (is there an acceptable abbreviation?!) thank you. I bought Fink, forgot about it, arrived on desk at work this afternoon after a looooooong lunch and my roommate commented that I looked like I was about to vomit. C'est la vie! May need some assistance with interpretation!
  • GP, if you got Fink today, what plan (if any) did you do the Outlaw off the back of? Or did you just wing it somehow?

It's a good book, with some good tips for managing time well.

And no, reading it does NOT count as training. image

Unless reading it whilst turboing of course! image

• ST.......I see your really working hard to fit all your rest days in again........image

• Hey Razor it was just a mix up image doing 15 miles in morningimage
  • GP RBM is fine

KK why the Finkophobia? Both books bring something to the party and have good and bad points when i was a newbie i had never heard of the pirates and knew no one who had done an IM Fink was my saviour image
  • ST.......Ok I believe you ..image...but I want a full report tomorrow.....image.

• Fink/Friel/Fred Blogs ... they are tried and tested methods but wont suit everybody

No reason to suggest that any one should ignore one or the other but I would certainly advise being familiar with a number of plans and methods before choosing one that appeals to you and suits your lifestyle which is much like the distance itself.

With regards the distance itself, no reason to tell someone who comes onto the forums who wants to do (in their opinion) the ultimate challenge of Ironman that that's not where its at any more ... those of us who came in to IM at whatever stage came in because it was a challenge and have gone on to achieve one or many of them, opinions are great as long as you allow others to have one and allow the receiver to have the choice.

• Melds the voice of reason WTF is going onimage

I personay think ironman is right up there as one of the most difficult challenges a normal working person can undertake. The race is the easiest bit its managing to train without p!ssing off your family, friends, boss whilst keeping mentally strong and injury free thats the hard part

I look at other stuff from time to time but it just seems to invlol e to much time commitment
  • Admittedly I'm a bit odd, but I think the race itself is the reward for all the hard work leading up to it. Particularly when it's your first one. If you've done the right thing in training, not overdone it, tapered well and got a sound nutrition strategy you can trot round in relative comfort and astound yourself with how brilliant you are. It's a great feeling. image

• slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Im has been great for someone like me who has never been atheletic and yet have an adventurous spirit and wants to test the limits.  Although not gifted with any sporty genes I have a lot of focus and determination and used that to teach myself front crawl and then ride a bike etc.  The difference it has made for me is that it is now a lifestyle and the race is just as RBM has said in the past the 'icing on the cake'.  I now drink less and generally lead a much healthier lifestyle than I did once and really look forward to events such as the Chiltern 100, Ballbuster etc which are build up races and where I meet fellow Pirates.

Shorter races would be no good to me as my deficiencies are just exaggerated and it is IM which first captured my imagination as an incredible endurance achievement which at that time seemed impossible for anyone (let alone me) to achieve.  I dont think IM is better and I take off my hat to Olympic distance athletes who are at the front of the pack exhibiting V02 max's which would blow me away but it is not what motivates me.

Anything which can give you the fantastic experiences of different people, places you would never have visited ( Embrun) and a healthier lifestyle - including mind - cant be bad  image

• M...eldy wrote (see)

With regards the distance itself, no reason to tell someone who comes onto the forums who wants to do (in their opinion) the ultimate challenge of Ironman that that's not where its at any more ... those of us who came in to IM at whatever stage came in because it was a challenge and have gone on to achieve one or many of them, opinions are great as long as you allow others to have one and allow the receiver to have the choice.

Well said there, Melds.  I know that echoes my sentimentality on that point.

• slimshady wrote (see)

Im has been great for someone like me who has never been atheletic and yet have an adventurous spirit and wants to test the limits.  Although not gifted with any sporty genes I have a lot of focus and determination and used that to teach myself front crawl and then ride a bike etc.  The difference it has made for me is that it is now a lifestyle and the race is just as RBM has said in the past the 'icing on the cake'.  I now drink less and generally lead a much healthier lifestyle than I did once and really look forward to events such as the Chiltern 100, Ballbuster etc which are build up races and where I meet fellow Pirates.

Shorter races would be no good to me as my deficiencies are just exaggerated and it is IM which first captured my imagination as an incredible endurance achievement which at that time seemed impossible for anyone (let alone me) to achieve.  I dont think IM is better and I take off my hat to Olympic distance athletes who are at the front of the pack exhibiting V02 max's which would blow me away but it is not what motivates me.

Anything which can give you the fantastic experiences of different people, places you would never have visited ( Embrun) and a healthier lifestyle - including mind - cant be bad  image

Totally echoes my views. Doing an IM had totally changed my prespective on life, definitly one of the best things I have ever done.

• Ooooh, Mentors image

I could really do with a bit of support / guidance but really what I need is a regular @rse kicking.

I started Tri's in 2010 with the Cheltenham off road super sprint and then added a couple of sprints in and knew I was hooked. 2011 saw 2 sprints and an oly, also tried to get better at running with 2 halves and a full mara (Beachy head). 2012 - so far its been 2 sprints and oly and HIM (Cotswold 113)a half mara and I'll be back at Beachy mara in October.

I'm going to Outlaw in 2013 - I've read all the stuff about it, the Pirate support looks amazing, the race itself looks great and I want to do it - something I've wanted to do really since my first super sprint. That and it will be well before I'm 40 (well, just before I'm 40). I will also be cycling London-Paris so I have several motivators for the bike side of things, the swimming is coming on ok and I want to get the run cracked so I can do better in straight marathons.

Im based in North Staffs / Cheshire borders. Swim at Boundary park, run with Biddulph running club and cycle anywhere (I take the bike away with me on work trips around the UK). I love cycling, I'm getting into the swimming but the run is, and possibly always will be, my poorest discipline.

It would be great if someone sees fit to give me some guidance / prodding

• Note to silent mentor...

First tri completed last week, 400 pool 22k bike 5k stagger. Chuffed that nobody overtook me on the course, but passed loads. TR analysed my performance and chewed my nads for the "run". He was right.

Swimming at 47 min for the mile, with some left in the tank.
    Bike yesterday was fun. Group 1 ride of 60 miles, out to Great Malvern and over it. Leg mangling pace. Nads not on display, but slightly tender.

Next race Sunday at Cheltenham. (500m/15k/3k)
    Starting to consider negotiations for 2013 HIM and IM bookings. I've an idea to do the local mara for the hell of it. Or vengeance.

• LOL @ KK, a scary good cop/bad cop mentor. 

• KK, I wasn't making a dig at you, I know that you are

A) busy
    B) trying to keep your own life balanced with some training thrown in

and

C) NOT MY MENTORimage

I was typing an open feedback report to someone who's big enough and ugly enough to stand up for himself.
    As you were.....

• Right, I've entered Outlaw.

I've got a few books just arrived from Amazon - Iron fit, 24 week ironman training, total immersion, chrissie wellington and a few others.

Anyone willing to take an enthusiastic IM newbie under their wing? So far I've done up ti HIM (albeit slowly) so looking to pop my cherry and see how I can do

• Have I arrived too late to find a spare mentor?

• Matt you have mail.