Enduroman UK 2013

Comments

• Were we not going to do a PSOF Lejog?   kip at pirate houses  .... fair enough we might need a few of them to move  image

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)

so Purple and me are in - waiting for you Q  image

Let me finish IM Wales first

• PSOF LEJOG would be lots of fun. :0)
  • It would .... can you imagine the organisation tho?   Its bad enough getting a social organised  image

• id be in but i wonder how many people would want to run 50 odd mile a day image

• omg Barley has got me thinking now, £60 a night motels, diet of big macs = cheap event image

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)

id be in but i wonder how many people would want to run 50 odd mile a day image

I believe we were thinking of biking ... feel free to run tho   image

• Definitely biking. :0).
  • the £2,200 was for running including a support vehicle to sleep in, still expensive though, 

http://www.ultrarace.co.uk/events/details/?eventid=108

so not takers for running it then - need to do at least 40M a day or its going to take over 3 weeks and thats going to be too long to have off work

• Am I the only one to think correctly that DK was talking baout running LEJOGimage...........i would do the biking thoughimage

• No, I knew he was talking about running it, he didnt realise we were talking about biking it  image

• Well this thread caught my eye!

And got me thinking - does anyone know who the Pirate was who gave me a jaffa cake when i came in from one of my bike laps this year (my crew couldnt find what i wanted and he helped out)?  He had a beard and was quite tall if i remember rightly.  Bloody nice bloke.  Symes would never have done that for me. image

Good luck to all who attempt an Enduroman event next year.

Cheers

(Big) Ted - Deca Fnisher 2012!

• Tall bloke with a beard?    Might have been Seren   image

• kittenkat wrote (see)

So how does the Enduroman brand fit in with long distance endurance for you? Personally I feel that it's only in the market for long and slow with no competitive athletes, especially when it moved venue. My interest is in the run but everyone has told me that you can't get an even footing.

Maybe they just want money thrown at the company to massage egos.. You can finish if you just crawl, have stabilisers and then walk...I've seen nothing more that suggests it's athletic. (Except the Deca, I'll concede with that one)image Cos it's the only one in the UK maybeimage

KK I'll send my medal and finishers sweat top back to Steve, Eddie and team because I obviously didn't try hard enough to finish in what I consider to be a respectable time. 

I don't know what other events you have done and know that you would beat me hands down in a run based on what you have said on here. Give the bike a thought at AT. I did the course of 116 miles on my own. As it isn't a big race there isn't the quantity of people on the road therefore making it a true 116 mile time trial. I haven't once come on here afterwards looking at others times for the bike section of other ironman races and asked " did those people really non draft for the distance once the masses were on the open road." If all these people did should they not have been DQ'd or had penalties thrown at them? I don't know how the course compares to other Ironman distance races but it wasn't easy.

Try the run out sometime. Yes it is off road but for most of the course as in about 98% you could run albeit making sure you looked where you were going. There were 2 short sections that got a bit soft as the rain came down. The whole course was runable if you have the fitness to do it but there are a few short, sharp hills to test you out but at 24 laps it gets hard like it will for MOST athletes trained or not trained leading up to the event.

Some of the things you write are thought provoking and I don't have a problem with this however please don't belittle my achievement and many others either on this forum or not. Still a lot cheaper than all other ironman distance races I have seen and I won't forget seeing the 2 main organisers in Steve and Eddie giving me and ALL other athletes total respect for the challenge whilst helping, motivating and cheering at all times of day and night.

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Tall bloke with a beard?    Might have been Seren   image

Thank you.i was too busy to shave that weekend............probably Mr Funkin I would say...........image

Chilli KK only skim reads and thats why she doesn't ever answer the points that people bring up.....see yesterdays posts...........she will just pick up one point where she can have a go instead of having a proper debate..............there is a £300 prize money for the double which would just about cover entry ........so without any proper athletes taking part I'm sure it would be easy for someone to stroll in and take the money

• I'm in for the double 300 bucks coming my wayimage

• I have put the dates in my diary and will make every effort to come along and support again image

• Ted, you Sir, are a cock! image

• SyM.es wrote (see)

Ted, you Sir, are a cock! image

Tough crowd round here. image  Like this forum better than TT though if you can use rude words.image

My thanks to Mr Funkin. image

While I'm here Re: crewing - the post about someone who knows you well a few pages back - if you can get someone like that it will be invaluable.  Can't emphasise that enough. image

• I believe that was me wot said that, Big Ted image

• and I reckon I agreed although you'd be brave to crew for an arse like that stroppy Ted chap...

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

I believe that was me wot said that, Big Ted image

Occasionally, on these therads are some absolute gold nuggets of info.  Invaluable advice that every endurance athlete should save somewhere or commit to memeory and follow religiously.  Your post was one such. image

SyM.es wrote (see)

you'd be brave to crew for an arse like that stroppy Ted chap...

Unfortunately for every incredible and essential insight there are those who speak with forked tongue of impure untruths.image

• DK I have to agree with you that I didn't find much of a challenge at Outlaw, yes its a long day and yes I didn't push that hard but the next day I thought I could do that again today. Ultra running is probably more rewarding, but at my advanced age far less kind on the body.

JOGLE with Deloitte Ride across Britain is UKP 1800 for 9 days, which whilst more than you could do it solo for does provide accommodation, food and luggage transportation, it where I will be in 2013image As to running LEJOG I have two friends who tried it both very experienced ultra runners and both winners / podium placed in some of the big ones and neither of them finished which tell you what running 50 miles a day for three weeks can do to you.

• Ted...you are an inspiration as to what the body can make the mind do with the right support crew.......

hope you are enjoying a recovery and in training for a supporting role next yearimage

• Big Ted 2 wrote (see)
    Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

I believe that was me wot said that, Big Ted image

Occasionally, on these therads are some absolute gold nuggets of info.  Invaluable advice that every endurance athlete should save somewhere or commit to memeory and follow religiously.  Your post was one such. image

Ah gawd, dont tell her that image

• Oi Big Ted

Get back where you belong. I've trawled the whole bloody forum looking for you on a running thread - how stupid of me was that !

I have the offer of crew but unfortunately will clash with family holiday, unless I can get the wife sectioned before next June image

• Was told there was lots of tri-talkers two timing (Big - now a runner - Ted, you know who you are image ) on here so just thought i'd drop in.

I've never competed at Enduroman but i've crewed on a double, a quin and a deca at both Lichfield and Avon Tyrell so i've seen quite alot of what goes on. As regards the double being for slow plodders this just isnt the case when there are top athletes such as Ghislain Marechal, Paul Thompson and Hywel Davies racing. The double is in fact relatively short and raceable compared to the triple, quin or deca which generally need a different strategy based more around food and sleep than just racing.

Also bear in mind the AT course isnt a normal course people who could easily do sub 11 at the outlaw would probably do 12.5 to 13 hours at AT. At the other end of the field finishing AT in 18-20 hours is probably a far bigger ask than completing the outlaw just inside the cut off.

I would also second everything that has been said about Enduromans great organisation. Everyone is one happy family with Pirates supporting and lending TTers food and vice versa. Never had this experience crewing/supporting on any other race. It almost became known as the great Pirate/TT alliance but that was maybe going a bit far.

• only two of us so far ??

I think we need to start a recruitment campaign image

There is something for everyone: A Double ; A Single; A Half....or if you don't fancy that, a 100 mile run 

• Think I might be trying to take 30 seconds off my sprint time instead, as that seems to be harder, or so I'm told