Enduroman UK 2013

Comments

• I'd better dust the cobwebs off my turbo. This is going to be a warm-up to the Cotswolds Half in August and possibly Henly Half in September.  I'm getting some endurance in my legs to train for IM without chasing cut-offs quite so closely. Or thats the plan anyway. image

• Nice one Soupy, enjoy the half day outimage

• Chilli boy - please see PM re water bottles. Ta
  • There is no hiding place chilliboy. image

• Who's doing the double then? I want to know how many people I'm supporting and looking out for. DK are you in?  Anyone else apart from Purple, or is it too soon to call? 

I'm bouncing with anticipation for next season - bring on the racing. image

• yes soupy im in, are you/other half doing rutland mara this year? can you remember how many water stops theres is - web site says every 3 miles but i can only rememeber the 2 that had gels, but i did have a bladder so cant really remember the water only ones.

i dont know how many people are doing the half and single either. any idea on your goal time purple - what would it have been last year if all went well? you got quite far through it iirc, i gotta beat seren so i should go and have a look what time she got if they keep them on line. i need a ball park figure to aim for, i thought about 30 hours but it could go either way, but i dont want to be longer than 34 . off to look at previous peoples resultsimage

•  

DK - Mr Soup is doing Rutty again I think. I'll go and support so will look out for you and might take my bike again for a Vit lap. No idea of water stops I'm afraid. 

• hmmm may have to re evaluate my targets sub 30 hours is possible if you can swim well and have the endurance of a donkey, i can swim a single iron @1:16, bike 112 in 6:10 and run a 51 in 9:00so if i just double the swim and bike figures and add about 20% as a degradation factor it comes to about 27 hours but my 51 mile run was done fresh so maybe i should judge it on my 70 mile average pace which is a fair bit slower so i think 30 might be a bit tight, im going to be crunching figures for the next 3 weeks  image

• don't forget time to eat and maybe even rest.

The run is not easy either, and can get very muddy if the weather is bad.

I will be just happy to finish imageimage

• eating - thats what the bike is forimage 

• DK...too early to be assesing times.....wait till closer..........

a lot of factors can affect the race.the wethaer being the main one...but getting hit in the night by an owl or having the wind through a tree branch through your wheel is another few .. ( both hav ehappened ).....

the mud on the run is a major one if the weather is bad...........and your ability to eat enough......

I think you will probably hit sub 30 but its a long winter to get the balance of training right and avoid injury...........

• purpletrilady wrote (see)

we need to work on the SA image

Still undecided on next years racing, but have started back training

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)

hmmm may have to re evaluate my targets sub 30 hours is possible if you can swim well and have the endurance of a donkey, i can swim a single iron @1:16, bike 112 in 6:10 and run a 51 in 9:00so if i just double the swim and bike figures and add about 20% as a degradation factor it comes to about 27 hours but my 51 mile run was done fresh so maybe i should judge it on my 70 mile average pace which is a fair bit slower so i think 30 might be a bit tight, im going to be crunching figures for the next 3 weeks  image

DK, don't worry about your time at all. Get the training right in the next few months and upto the day and worry about it afterwards. I'm no expert however I witnessed a lot of the double this year. It's a different beast me thinks in in just doubling up your times and adding a bit. It's about control on the bike leading into the run.

Your 6.10 time was in Outlaw (?) maybe. Think of the numbers of cyclists around you at any one time in that event. Were you in company for a lot of the time and had wheels to follow or were not that far away? At AT you will be on your own for a long time as they isn't the volume of riders and those that are there are riding at such a varied pace. No disrespect to anyone but the difference in bike times between the French guy who won the event and others nearer the bike end of the field is absolutely massive.

The run will be hard. 48 laps will be one tough cookie to handle mentally with a lack of sleep. The course can be muddy at the bottom end around the lakes and then hilly upwards on the second half of the lap but you will soon get into a plan of where you can run and where you WILL walk on most of not all laps.

I loved the small, intimate feel of the event. Don't expect red carpets but you can be guaranteed a Schmunks cheer every lap. Steve and Eddie the organisers are there to help and will cheer you every step of the way.

Enjoy it and don't worry image

• a friend has entered the lakeland 50, and I am near the top of the waiting list so fingers crossed. Anyone looking at enduroman threads have any advice for me , there does not appear to be an ultra thread plus pirates may have better adviceimage

• I was on lakelands waiting list last year, if u don't get in you will get first dibs next year , unfortunately it clashed this year for me.might do the 100 next year though
  • citizen 

the lakeland 50 is awesome.....i did it twice..last year i did the enduroman single then the lakeland the next month......

advice depends on how fast you are...........my advice is to get used to walking up hills..if you are slow at that you will be overtaken by good walkers..i then run the flats and downhills.......if you are faster/ fitter then you can obviuosly walk parts of the uphills.........

get used to using a headtorch.unless you are super fast then you will need it.........when night falls.i would recommend joining up to do the night sections.unless you are a good navigator in the dark.........its not easy in the dark.......then if your group is too slow or too fast you can change at the next checkpoint.

keep eating and drinking and enjoying the views...its brilliantly organised and a beautiful run

• Dk thanks for that.

Seren, I am not fast, in fact I really don't run, I am attracted by the endurance element plus the scenery ( I did Gaelforce West in Ireland last year which I would thoroughly recomend running biking small amount of kayaking and a vicious walk up and down croagh Patrick which took me and hour up and an hour down!! ). My friend who is already in did the ''Paras 10" a few years ago with me that was 10 miles tabbing ( ie run/walk with a heavy backpack -36lbs. We hope to be able to do that ie walk the ups and slow jog the down and some of the flats, just looking to complete at this point.

We are going to do some night time training/navigating ..

• sorted!!!!!!!!!!!

We managed to get an entry for IM Florida 2013 for Mrs SA and as its not till November 2013, this means that my double attempt will fit into the racing plans next year.

Can't afford the entry fee till end of Jan, so question is, as it is now an official IUTA world cup event and the National Champs, is it likely to fill?

• if the double fills theres always the 100 miler image

• SA don't think it'll be a problem for next year as I seem to recall that they are talking about the possibility of 3 different start times. Wave 1 at 6am, 2 at 9am and 3 at 12pm. In this way I think they can accomodate more people and try and have more people finishing at the same time.

• yes you will be fine SA......good news on both accounts

• well guys - its the last few days of slobbery for me, training starts monday, getting ready for a numb arse and achey legs image

• I'm startinga  week later DK...don't do to much too soon and burn out......have fun

• im going to take it real easy until new year seren, its just lately i have been neglecting the bike and pool a bit so im going to get some structure in for december and then start upping the training in january. by that time it will be only a 22 week plan, i went hard for 20 weeks last year before i had my meltdown so i have learnt something from it. this year = more biking, more structured swims, better diet control and more functional weight training. never DNF'd anything, want to keep it that way

• Looking forward to see how you get on Doner. Maybe 2014 for the double for me image

• dont expect too much from me, dont get me wrong im going to train for it properly just like i did for the outlaw but the first time i do any event i only think of it as a taster. This years outlaw is a prime example, i did the training, i turned up and did the race (albeit with a walk instead of a run at the end) but i learn so much from that, that next year will be a more concerted effort. Next year will also just be a test for the double and longer stuff, i want to finish in a decent time but i value a few good lessons over hitting a desired target time if it makes me better for the year after. Saying that, if i find it too hard, as in time devoted to training i will drop the distance right back to get better at sprint and HIM and do more ultra running. If theres a big piratey present in 2014 i dont go beyond the double i may do the 100 miler and do a bit of crewing.

• Hello dk, Just messaged you on FB. my only thought at this point is, don't  bother too much about times, keep a very open mind conditions on that course play very big part. We're due some luck with the weather but it's been horrendous tail end both years so far.