Outlaw 2013

Comments

• Mr Z , count me in

• me too, but only if Mr Z is bringing his tent again!!

• It certainly seems to be slightly more popular than Henley:

fraggle wrote (see)

Henley Half-arsed

1. Cat5
    2. MovingAlong
    3. Lee the Pea

Challenge Henley

1. Hope
    2. HappyChap
    3. Gasbag
    4. Frags (*if* my back holds up and my attempt at the Half Arsed goes ok this year image )

Double Entendre - Challenge Henley and ExtravaLanza

1. Meldy
    2. OC
    3. Rafiki D

• it's like christmas with all these lists

•  

Full Whack
    Cake
    Sarah the Bookworm
    ST
    EP
    Maths chick?
    Sponge Cale
    Tommy Gun
    Razor 51
    Horse
    Britrisky
    DTT
    Iron Pingu
    Donna Kebab
    seren nos
    JvR
    JCDigger
    Steve ho
    Alibear
    Yellowrubberduck.
    TJ1004 
    Running Postie
    Nurse Ratched (and Partner in Crime)
    Half Pint
    This is Tom's Pseudonym
    NV
    PSC
    Mr Zuvai
    Tired Badger
    Citizen 146

Relay
    xxx, Colourin, Lee The Pea
    Happychap

Potential relay peeps
    Fraggle - swim (I offered our swim place to Fraggle without realising we aleady had a swimmer, oops )
    SuperCaz - swim

Supporting
    engineer
    mathschick
    Dave the Ex Spartan

• it's not the 100's we had on the list last year - but still a sizeable crowd image

• Plus it's still 11 months away image
  • Just looking at the names and thinking most of us next year are ever popping IM cherries or had problems this year with only a few other's so don't think schmee you have much to worry about. It's only July through so that list could be very different by next year. image

• i think that this is definitely going to piush henley for the rights to be the pirate championship race......i may be wrong but i think that its usually whichever is the biggest ship sailing and we certainly look like we have a sizable ship sailing image

imageimageimage

and i liked the pub...........and the sunshine makes me want to train............but being sensible and building back up slowly..............image

beer training is going well........image

• image my pal might be up for the full whack next year, so that might be one to increase the numbers image. i guess this year was pretty unusual having so many folk at one IM; next year will probably be a lot more split, but Outlaw has such a good rep, it is bound to be popular
  • seren nos wrote (see)

i think that this is definitely going to piush henley for the rights to be the pirate championship race......i may be wrong but i think that its usually whichever is the biggest ship sailing and we certainly look like we have a sizable ship sailing image

imageimageimage

and i liked the pub...........and the sunshine makes me want to train............but being sensible and building back up slowly..............image

beer training is going well........image

Personally im torn which should be the pirate championship and how it should be chosed.

My thoughts:

Historically its a nominated race and the ship gets behind that race, that doesnt seem to be happening this year with Henley, though that remains to be seen.

My preferernce for the pirate championship was always Lanza as I felt it was a strong contender, being a big European Ironman which had not yet hosted the pirate championship.

Outlaw was the pirate championship this year so for that reason along I dont think it should be next year, also, Outlaw could easily be a popular race year after year, does that mean PSOF championship Outlaw every year?

I dont think it should just be about numbers,for me, the pirate championship is about moving the pirates forward, seeing new places, savouring the big ticket experience of Ironman events accross Europe and the cammoradorie that creates.

If you ask those that have been to Eurpoean Pirate championships and Outlaw im sure most will draw a line of distinction between what its like to all rock up at Outlaw for 2 days, spread accross various hotels, campsite etc etc vs visiting travelling further afield and all the excitement a foreign city and Ironman.

I think it would be a wrong move to have Outlaw as the PSOF championship next year, I also think we should make a pitch for getting out of the UK again in 2014,

• TG - yep, I would be up for some long rides... might find there are a few others on the list from our neck of the woods too. 

Does anyone have a garmin trace of the outlaw bike route - how hilly is it?  Thinking of designing some training routes.

• Barlos, I agree.

Move onwards an forwards    image

PSC its not image

• PSC wrote (see)

TG - yep, I would be up for some long rides... might find there are a few others on the list from our neck of the woods too. 

Does anyone have a garmin trace of the outlaw bike route - how hilly is it?  Thinking of designing some training routes.

PSC, Outlaw is not at all hilly, there is one bump (Oxton Bank) which you go up once, the rest is an out and out TT course.

• Oxton Bank = 'Was that it'

It really is just a pimple

..... in the wind  image

• I didn't know I had been up Oxton Bank until I got to feed station 2 and realised it was the little rise just after feed 1
  • The wind was more of an issue than that was .. its really not bad in the slightest

• Honest I didn't drop off the big ring for Oxton. The last 10 miles when it started to rain and the wind got up were horrid
  • I will be going for it again next year. But as a pirate this time arrrrrr. How do I get the cross bones btw???

• I'm with Barlo on the Pirate Championship question ...
  • I'm with him on the question. Sadly I won't be in Lanza
  • Neither will I ... So the championship should be in IMCH image I may have a chance with just a couple of usimage
  • Red Dog I think you need to email someone at RW these days ...the best way to attract their attention is probably to set fire to RW towers whilst stripping off and singing 'The HIlls are alive'

The lesser option which might take a bit longer to get noticed is just to report this thread to a moderator (there is a button below) and explain that you would like a piratey sign please    image

• LOL... thanks, I hadn't realised that it would be a flatter than a flat thing (compared to some).  Liking it already.  I am sure the Jet Stream will be better behaved next year and there will be a light cooling breeze only. image

Barley, sorry mate I cross posted with you as I've been off noshing on a BBQ so didn't see your thoughts until just now....  My thoughts on the European races are yes, agree with you totally about the big ticket experience - I certainly loved Zurich and Copenhagen (although missed the PSOF support at the latter).  I can also vouch for the "challenge" experience versus the "Ironman" experience. The Challenge family put on a hell of good race which bodes very well for Henley - but, frankly, for me at least it's down to money.  I haven't done a tri this year as I can't afford to - and next year I am looking for the best value which I reckon is going to be outlaw.  It is a bloody well organised race and £100 cheaper to enter than Henley, and more still in comparison to an M. branded race.  The fact that both Henley and Outlaw are going to be well supported and have large teams racing is a real bonus - dare I postulate that there could be a small fleet of Pirate Ships now as there really are quite a few of us racing in yellow n black and we can therefore support 2 or 3 big turnouts at full distance per year.  Christ, can you imagine if we all went to the same place/race... that would be about 350 peeps racing and 1000+ supporters.  TriTalkers would piss their pants in panic at the total domination we could offer........................  LETS DO IT! 

• PSC, I've got it on Garmin 800 no idea how to get it freely available though. 110.87 miles, 2457 feet elevation, gladly post it up if someone knows how.

Hang on, I've had a go at saving as a course. Log on and type in Outlaw 2012 Pit Stop Crew 

See if it works. Anyone else for that matter

• Sod Oxton Bank BTW, the six mile descent after is an absolute PEACH!

• cheers Dusty - where have you saved it.  Garmin Connect isn't giving me the love....

• PSC wrote (see)

TG - yep, I would be up for some long rides... might find there are a few others on the list from our neck of the woods too. 

I'm in your neck of the woods image

• Dustboy wrote (see)

PSC, I've got it on Garmin 800 no idea how to get it freely available though. 110.87 miles, 2457 feet elevation, gladly post it up if someone knows how.

Hang on, I've had a go at saving as a course. Log on and type in Outlaw 2012 Pit Stop Crew 

See if it works. Anyone else for that matter

So only 800m climbing, thats probably as easy course as you can get, pan flat courses are actually harder in my opinion as there's little respite as youre pushing the same gear all the time.