Finally took the plunge....

I pick up my new bike on Monday - a Kuota....can't wait!  It's my first road bike though so am going to need to take it very easy at first and get used to it.  Feel like a kid at Christmas though!

Any tips - how different is it to ride (had a v v v v old mountain bike)?  Guess I need to practise gear changes.  On advice of chap in bike shop am starting with basic (non clip) pedals and will trade up when I'm confident handling the bike....

Comments

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Best thing is find some quiet roads and just get a few miles in - shouldn't be toooo different to riding a MTB once you get used to it.   Most people hold the brake hoods or the tops of the bars most of the time so don't feel you need to be on the drops (the lowest bit of the bars) when riding.    

If you are unsure about gears then best tip is when you approach a hill get in an easy gear in plenty of time so you aren't crunching the gears going up the hill - if you do need to change gear then just ease off the pressure on the pedals slightly when changing. 

• The biggest difference I noticed when I first got my road bike was how twitchy it was! The first time I took it out, I was convinced I was going to fall off because any little movement of my hands sent me whizzing round corners. I got used to it pretty quickly though.

• Thanks

Also worried about potholes....is it best to avoid completely - or is there a way through (guess will have to if car alongside!)....

24 hours to go!

• Smacking into potholes doesn't do the rims much good and a great way of getting punctures
  • Non clip pedals to start is a good idea. Stops you falling over when stationary at traffic lights which is only comical if it isn't you....

When I got my first bike I had a puncture on the second ride I think - so good to check out You Tube for a quick drill on replacing your inner tube.

Finally, compared to your MTB ou might find the saddle a little *narrow* - you will get used to it.  

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

avoid potholes if you can but if you can't make sure the tyres are in good nick and are at the correct pressure (c 100psi for most people is fine) as that helps prevent compression punctures.  try and adopt a relaxed grip on the bars as the bike will be easier to control under most circumstances.

you may want to consider fitting Continental Gatorskin tyres (folding  version) as they are more puncture proof than many others and are great all year round tyres

• Great - just been for a spin on my new toy!  Good tip on relaxed grip as found I was tending to tense up.  Got the puncture resistant tyres.  LOVE IT! Felt it wanted to go faster than I was brave enough to (for today).  Out for another ride tomorrow as soon as I get the chance.

Got a feeling there's lots more kit I'll be wanting....