Miscellaneous TRI Race Reports

Comments

• Ay-up

North Of Tyne TRI

Well me being the sort of guy I am I thought I’d go prepared and ride the bike course a week before the race – and to my delight it suited a heavy bloke like me, it was flat as a pancake – very technical but flat

Move on a week, arrive at the race briefing and find out that due to road works on the course, the route has been changed, upped to 22k from 20k and now included a few hills – So much for planning

The race was now: 400m/22k/5k and it was a hot day – Dam Hot!

I was to be off in the second wave, my swim went well I was first person from my wave to exit the pool in a time of 7:30 – it was a long run from the pool to transition across a gravely car park (ouch, ouch, ouch)

T1 seemed to go OK until I started dropping things – I dropped my drink and had to retrieve it then it was another long run to the bike mount point, where I dropped my energy gel, that had been tapped to my bars, tried to put it into a pocked and dropped it again before finally mounting my bike and cycling of – T1 time a poor 3:14. Getting passed by 2 people from my wave in the process :o(

The bike course was very scenic and well marshalled around the winding and undulating back round, in a large circle, back to the sport centre. I had quickly caught one of the guys that had passed me and did not see him again after passing him – although I was passed by another guy on the last climb and could not take back my position – during this time I also passed a couple of people from the previous wave. A reasonable bike (for me) in 42:28

Again a long run fro the dismount point into T2 – which gladly went without a hitch, apart from picking up my drink – bike racked and out onto the run in 1:14

By the time I went out on the run it was very hot and sunny but I was feeling strong and the run suited me down to the ground with a large chunk of it being ran on a grass path and across fields again catching people from the first wave, but although I could see the 2 guys that had passed me on the bike, I could not catch them – the finish line seemed to be in front of me in no time at all and the 5k run had took me 23:20 (good for me) and I was still feelinga strong

SWIM - 7:30 (400M)
    T1 - 3:14 ;
    BIKE - 42:28 (22k)
    T2 - 1:14
    RUN - 23:20 (5k)

Total race time of 78mins - Quite pleased with that :o)

• P.S.

I'd also like to say that this was a very well organised and well marshaled event along with being very friendly and a dam good race/route
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    well done mate, you seemed to have improved a lot on the swim and bike since the last race earlier in the thread(?)

i had the sevenoaks today with rob and a few from the tt site. i did alright considering i hadnt prep'd for it and the technical bike course (I'm not a technical cyclist - don't know how to take a corners yet!).

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Thats why i dont do many group rides - id whipe everyone out :o)
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    Great write-up Will and sounds like a great performance. Maybe I should learn to swim properly ...
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    :o)

And I bet you didn't swear at all when you suffered from dropsy in T1!! ¦oD

OK guys. I'll tell you coz I want you all to do as Aunty Jules says. Have a good old rummage tonight (or right now - we can't see you) and learn as much as you can about the bits of you that you don't tend to include in your training plans...

My friend has testicular cancer. Didn't check, didn't really know much about it, didn't think much about the lump when he did discover it. Now it's a question of wait and see...

:o(

So where's your report, Dazzle?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done WW, sounds like you had a good tri, apart from the dropping things syndrome:o)

Hope you had a good tri too Daz!
  • Bad news JJ- Hope they caught it early on, please give him the kind regards of the forum.

Quick Derby tri report.

This was my first tri last year and significant improvements have been made-
    1) I can swim front crawl constantly
    2) I have my own bike
    3) I have clippy shoes

The 400m swim went well- had the lane to myself for the second half due to no shows so didn't feel under pressure, so could put my 5/3 breathing pattern into practice. It was over very quickly it seemed. Hadn't stopped my watch so no idea of time.

The bike was as usual fun, shoes went on ok, just had to keep telling myself- don't forget twist your foot if you have to stop. Overtook about 6 or 7 people, but these are really just time trials so no indication at all of your progress. At one point thought I had gone wrong as there was no one behind or in front andf no signs,marshals anything. Was on the point of turnng back when I saw a guy walking: Any bikes come this way? I asked and he said yes keep going so that was lucky, although I had slowed I hadn't stopped.

The transitions are long as the run from the swim is a good way and I now have shoes to change for the run. No one had passed me but a girl was quicker out of transition so had to catch her on the first hill. Running in triathlon is a constant source of disappointment as the times are sooo s-l-o-w compared to a standard road race. But hey ho managed to get to grips with the watch and did 23:11 for the 5k (crap i tell you) but finished in 1:11:36 which is 3 and a half minutes faster than last year.

I felt like Ihad put the effort in and hadn't slacked off,. The change of shoes may have cost me a minute, but until I see the results I won't know if they helped on the bike. Certainly for olympic distance they are worth having, not so sure for sprint.

Went to the pub and had three pints of Pedigree and so am a little tired now, just can't take my ale, sorry.
  • Well done monique

daz - i'm still waiting for you report
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Monique!
  • Excellent Monique - looks like you've mastered those Look pedals. You're right, running in cleats is bloomin' impossible. I've tried! I'm told that 'swinging a punch' in Sidi shoes is nigh on impossible as well!
  • Hello Lizzy and Hilly, I have spd pedals or whatever they're called, what kind of triathlon requires that you punch someone?
  • Ooh no, hitting someone usually only happens when partaking in miscellenous road rage during triathlon training.

Ah, so it's spd's that you've got - never tried those - I've got Look Credit Agricole pedals, in cream, very pretty. The colour dictated my pedal choice ... My frame is cream and blue,y'see...
  • Same goes for Derek hence the blue lok pedals to go with his bike. I like the ones I've got, very pleased with the choice, thankyou Tri-Cycle in Kirkburton.
  • Monique - if you are finding a big difference between running and running off the bike you probably need to do more brick session leading up to your races

What i do is after my club 10TT i run for 2mile straight off the bike - its helped me loads (The cycle club think im a nutter tho)
  • Hello Will, yes I do brick sessions regularly and don't mind running off the bike, somehow I didn't do well today, some folks said it was long, it did have a couple of short hills and was partly on grass, but even so, managed 19 minutes something at Clumber Park, wierd.
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Monique,

well done matey! Hehe I know what you mean about cycling (in particular) when there is no-one in front or behind you and you think you may have taken a wrong turning....not a nice feeling. Thankfully not so common on the run and swim (lol)
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    sevenoaks tri - 400m/27kB/8kR

this was a very interesting course/race. the swim was a standard 16 length affair, with around 2-3 in each lane, but the bike and run were really very technical.

i didn't really prepare for this, concentrating a little more on my last race of season near my home town in two weeks time. but despite my fitness i was still mentally up for really going for it.

I didnt take a split for the swim but felt ok, and hopefully around 6:15. Both T's were alright, no probs there.

The bike as I said was very very technical and if I took anything away from this race it's that technique on the bike is just as important as the swim on a technical course. We had to cycle around some very tight bends and t-junctions, some on fast descents. I've only been cycling properly for a year so my cornering has a lot to be desired! I realised this for first time when a guy I pulled away from on the hills and the flat, would catch up with me again on the corners. Reckon at least 1-2mins can be saved by anyone from good technique and will work on this over winter.

Could here a lot of clicking on back wheel for last few miles and after race noticed a drawing pin was lodged in it. My friend and I couldnt believe that the wheel hadnt deflated. It's a £30 tubular and just goes to show that decent wheels are worth investing in! That was 2nd thing I'd learnt during the day!

Struggled at the beginning of the run with the hilly bits, but after 3-4 miles I found my rythem for the final few miles and made up the time. Think I did around 33mins.

Overall I did 1:27:20 - hopefully my 5th top15 of the year - still no top10 yet though :O(

Enjoyed the race and recommend if you like technical courses.

Oh and the final thing I learnt was to never leave your bike unnatended at the end of the day. Luckily a friend of mine locked our bikes together while we went off for massage, shower, food etc. When we returned, the guy next to us had found his bike had disappeared and couldnt find it ;o(

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Daz!

Monique-you most probabaly ran further than 5k. I started a thread a week or so ago about tri run courses being inaccurate. The couple I've done have been under distance, so there's no reason to say yours wasn't overdistance!

But still a good result and overall improvement from last year by 3 mins can't be stiffed at!

What time did you do your swim in?

Oh, I've got Look peddles on my 'new' bike, but no shoes yet! Going to take a trip to Bournemouth at the end of the month (Primera Sport)to try some on and hopefully buy some!
  • Well done Daz

you must be quick on a bike
  • Well done Daz - sorry completely forgot that you were racing yesterday.. got too caught up in my new elite status!!
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    i invested in a decent bike last year, which i think helps. its very light, which is good for pulling up the hills.
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    we're not worthy spans
  • chants

"Spans Spans Spans Spans Spans ..."

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Did you give Paula a run for her money then Spans?

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    Of course she did - I watched her eat the Superfajita that gave her wings! (Or was it the wine?)
  • both!! Gave her a run for her money for about... 2metres! V funny watching some people sprinting to keep up with her at the start!
  • beter late than never - the old fbf is no longer a tri novice having completed my first at the Southcoast Tri Sprint on the 6th - been away in Greece for a week since so sorry about the late posting.

Report - shambles. nuff said. my times are wrong - truly! have e-mailed them for an explanation. heads will roll!

Anyway here is report. This used to be the Brighton Tri but is now renamed as it is held at Seaford along the coast.

Swim - very lumpy 750m swim and my weakest event as not swam competitively since school all those years ago. Into the water and half drown my way around the triangular course and get dumped on beach at the end like a beached whale. Time - 0:00:00 - forgot to hit the start button on the watch as I got in the water!! Asking spectators on the way out what the time was, calculated at about 20mins. Official time - 20:29 - CRAP - must work on this!!

Bike - much much better and 5th overall in my wave. 4 laps of a flattish course with tight turns at either end and new lightweight bike made a big difference and I went for it to make up for the poor swim. Time - 37:32 including T1 which was slowish.

Run - 2 laps of a flat seafront course and I thought this went reasonably well but then I was given a time of 35:59 for this including T2. WHAT??????????????? I came in about 1 second ahead of a guy I met up with before and he's been given a total time faster than me! I reckon my overall time was 1:29:06 based on his given time so am awaiting an answer from the organisers.

Overall - excellent fun - will work on swimming and watch out next season for a fat 51 year old triathlete.

This event has potential to get better but it needs better timing procedures and more marshalls.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how silly people can be trying to sprint off with Paula! Why ruin there own races by going too fast at the start.

Well done fbf, sound like you had good fun!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Wooohooo!

Go Buddha! Go Buddha!