Cambridge Tri - blue green algae, water closed

Am entered this for my first Oly. I know sometimes organisers change to a duathlon (which frankly doesn't really interest me) but I wondered if anyone has done this one before and if it was cancelled for the same reason before? What did they do?

Comments

• Quite funny - I swam at Hampstead heath bathing ponds last week, some strange differences from my normal open water experience.

1. Cost - £2 per session, but self regulated pay if you want, don't pay if you don't... it won't be enforced
    2. Westuits - you have to ask permission to wear one theoretically, but in reality unless it's really cold it's frowned upon
    3. Blue Gree Algae - permanent sign up on the pond, stating it's present and that you shouldn't injest the water, you'll get sick - that's it

Sorry off topic, but it now bemuses me the differences in facilities, i.e. private run commercial ventures with insurance and other regulations vs. council facilities which is pretty much at your own risk

• That's a shame DB, they'll make a decision later today so hopefully it's a positive one. I'm not aware of any other suitable lakes in the area, so it might be a duathlon or cancelled completely.
  • F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

Following statement taken from Cambridge Tri website -

26 July 2012: We have been informed by The Mepal Outdoor Centre that blue-green algae has been found in the lake and it is currently closed.

The centre is awaiting a retest of the water early next week and we will make a final decision on Wednesday 1st August 2012 concerning the running of the event. Please check back after Wednesday for further updates and news.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    It depends what the levels are. If they are bad but not awful they may run it and give you due warning and suggest its at your risk. If the water quality test fails they will probably make it a duathlon. They will have one as part of their contingency plan.
  • Fingers crossed DB, hope it works in your favour!
  • they had a sign at the water at outlaw not to let your pets drink from the waterr due to the algae......................but let the swimmers go in............i must drink more whilst swimming than any dog could drink........so many of them have become duathlons this year which is a pain............i now know why i enter so few races

• Good news: "The Environment Agency tested the water for blue-green algae and given the all clear.  The triathlon is going ahead as planned."

Have fun Dusty!

• seren nos wrote (see)

i must drink more whilst swimming than any dog could drink...i now know why i enter so few races

Have you considered carrying water bottles on your bike......might save you having to drink so much water when you swim..image

• Just to say, this was lovely event, water was fab, just a few triffids under the surface, transition was a bit of an obstacle course, lovely flattish bike and very pleased to get 1.25 on 40K, run was hot hot hot farmers fields 2 loop run. Done and dusted in 3.11. with some left in the tank. Very pleased with that though they didn't mark up T times. (So a 6 hour job for me thenimage)

• And the rest!!  Glad to see you back on it Dusty!  Hope the back's ok.

• Well done DB. I did this one a few years ago and I've never felt so I'll n a run as that, it was *so* hot, and no shade anywhere. Though I was going to pass out after I'd finished image

Apart from that it was a good race. image
  • that will be the one we did with you Frags - and where Dave was given his moniker, Cheerful, as he seemed to have his miserable race face on that day which was the 1st time I ever met him......and he had the temerity to go past me on the bike like I was stationary.   git....image