Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Iain - Great to hear you'll be back for 2013. I think the marathon organisers should be sending free invites to a good few members of this thread for making it a must do event.

Dannirr - Your plans sound good to me, but I've never done so many endurance events that close. I'd love to do the Goofy one day though. I guess if you can trust yourself to pace those runs at an easy pace build in an easy week after it to recover a bit you should be good to go.

I need to think on my goal for Paris. Looking at the improvements yer_maj has made I could be tempted by an evil TD plan! With both Paris and London for me next year I'm thinking of Paris for a time and London for the fun and experience.

I need to work out a plan that will help me get 3:45 or better. For me that means getting some speed in the legs. Right now I don't think I have the speed for it and that I was on the limit for my 3:49 in Paris.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Eeeek just seen my photos from Sunday.  I felt like I was about to keel over when I got to the finish - no punching the air this time, just a stagger and switching off of the garmin.  The photos pretty much show this...!  Hopefully the link will show mine...bib no 9714

http://www.cardiffhalfmarathon.co.uk/photos_2012.htm

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

yer_maj - Cool pictures. Nice to see the Paris tee got an outing. I think all my PB's have been run with me looking like death at the end. Even in Paris if you watch Orbutts video I manage one paltry punch to the air after cracking a sub 4 at the umpteenth attempt.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I guess if you don't look like death for a PB then you ain't tried hard enough....I look a bit pale in the close up!

• Pale? I thought that was the scottish reflection. image  Can't believe you're wearing my amsterdam outfit!  Hal would approve of our matching outfits though.

Have had a good click around asos and can't find a place to register yet.

Anyone else getting annoyed by that survey pop-up?  6 mins to do a survey isn't short.

• Yes it is doing my head in RS!

I too have been on ASO registration isn't open yet!! Although I did find the 'subcribe' bit!!

YM - Lovely photos!! It looks hot!!image

HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!imageimageimage

BF's sister phoned last night to sort out 'arrangements'! I am not expecting to escape her now at all - except during the marathon!!!image She is very nice thou so hopefully all will be ok.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all, I'm another one whos checked ASO this morning! Still not open!

• London Calling - 1st Nov 2012 - Kaslik, Soho

DEFINITELY 
    DV & Mrs DV
    Dan & Mrs Dan
    yer_maj 
    Radar Sal 
    Running Rodent 
    Crazy Stan from Oz

MAYBE
    the Jimbob (& mrs jimbob?)

• Emmy: me too, was the first thing I did. Still not open now either...

• Morning all. Is anyone here nervous? Crumbs - I see that this year they are allowing up to 46,000 participants in the race. I think previously the max was 36 or 37,000.  I don't think anyone has to be worried about getting a place. The worst that can happen is you might have to pay 12 quid more than you wanted by being in the second batch of applicants.

Now, as for all this electro-stimulation business. If it's that big of a turn-on, then I am happy for you to leave your assorted devices at the Official Thread supporters table somewhere en route. You can turn up, be cheered and then buzz off image

• Paris Marathon 2013 Runners List

image Ok registration is not open yet but I am limbering up to start that list.. On DVs going out list (not sure of the formatting there)  I am a definite maybe not sure about Mr NGUG he maybe an even more maybe maybe...

Not really sure of the point of signing in for the ASO only that they will send you more emails.. registration hopefully will be at 11 am (when the whole site will crash as we all try to register simultaneously)..

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm very excited image

TD - considering how many members of this thread are Scottish/from Yorkshire, paying an extra £12 is a very serious business indeed....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

TD - considering how many members of this thread are Scottish/from Yorkshire, paying an extra £12 is a very serious business indeed....

I almost spat my tea out laughing at this!

• Hi, I'm new to this forum so here goes. I have managed to sign up with ASO however have had to put nationality as Ireland as they don't have British, English or Scottish (not that I could see anyway!!) I also couldn't put my contact number in correctly as they only give you a certain amount of digits to use, not enough for the format they want.

Has anyone else had a problem? It's is my first time for Paris, hoping to fit in a family holiday as well.
  • London Calling - 1st Nov 2012 - Kaslik, Soho

DEFINITELY 
    DV & Mrs DV
    Dan & Mrs Dan
    yer_maj 
    Radar Sal 
    Running Rodent 
    Crazy Stan from Oz

MAYBE
    the Jimbob (& mrs jimbob?)
    NGUG & Mr NGUG

• Sarah Young 16 wrote (see)
    Hi, I'm new to this forum so here goes. I have managed to sign up with ASO however have had to put nationality as Ireland as they don't have British, English or Scottish (not that I could see anyway!!) I also couldn't put my contact number in correctly as they only give you a certain amount of digits to use, not enough for the format they want.

Has anyone else had a problem? It's is my first time for Paris, hoping to fit in a family holiday as well.

Sarah...  and others..   the list is in French..   put  Royaume Uni...   you've probably heard this from the Eurovision Song Contest     image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Sarah - you need: Royami... something. DV said it a few pages back. The Contact number you need try: 0044 or +44 if it doesnt work.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

* counts out her remaining bawbees....*

I'll be on the train to Aberdeen when Registration opens...with my Netbook and dongle. image

Iain, I think we should be going to the Staff dance...

Actually, if you volunteer you get an invite to a dinner, the following October. It comes in the name of the Mayor but it's a mistake to think it's in the Hotel de Ville. It's in a sports centre...but it's a good meal and they draft in the fire brigade for the dancing.image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

@ Sarah...and drop the first 0 of your actual number.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Right you lot....40 minutes to go.  Stand behind me....no pushing.

• yer_maj wrote (see)

Right you lot....40 minutes to go.  Stand behind me....no pushing.

Don't you mean 38 minutes to go?

•   ooh, I'm a bit nervous about this, I've never done Paris before and never registered like this for a marathon!

Could someone tell me when I can enter?

Sorry, am being a scaredycat...

• @keysersuze - It's either 10am or 11am. We think. Website said 11am, but we're knocking off an hour because of the time difference.

Don't panic, there's loads of time if you can't get on at first. The price goes up after the first few thousand entries, but only by 12 euros.

Good luck - Paris marathon's fantastic

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

You'd think that they try and play with your mind like they do for the London Ballot and open it a bit earlier....

• Thanks Weedy Gozalez!

I've done a fair few halves (and London this year) but never had to enter in a different language to English, I'm a bit worried I'll end up with the wrong race/pen... Daft really. 

I've heard Paris is brilliant, even with the 3 mile long tunnel - is that true? How will my Garmin cope...!

• If you click on "en" you will find it all in English
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@KeyserSuze - it's in English too... or a garbled mixture of franglias as we call it!

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    If you click on "en" you will find it all in English

English is being kind...

• Better than doing it all in French surely ?
  • Keysersuze - love the name by the way

The Paris marathon website lot are good at having an English translation page, so don't worry about having to translate stuff

There isn't a three-mile tunnel... whoever told you that must have taken a wrong turning somewhere image

If I remember, the longest tunnel's maybe 1km. I've got a Garmin and had differing advice about what happens when you enter a tunnel in terms of keeping track of progress while satellites are out. To play it safe, I ended up buying a foot pod, which is about the size of two 50p pieces and fits in the sole of your shoe or attaches to your shoelaces. You calibrate it when you get it, then when you lose satellite signal, the watch automatically switches to the foot pod, then back when you come out of the tunnel. The downside is the foot pod's quite pricey - about £60 if i remember, but it worked perfectly for me.