Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Megs - hope you're back on your feet soon.
    Emmy - don't beat yourself up if you need another day's rest

Inquest report into Claire Squires' death if anyone's not seen it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/30/dead-marathon-runner-banned-stimulant-dmaa

• Johnny Lyall wrote (see)

Interesting comments re Yassos. I enjoyed doing them I must say, though I don't really understand how they can be an evaluation tool? Dannir? Tricky? I've read the theory but the times I were doing in minutes and seconds I'd have no chance of repeating in hours and minutes. Not without another two months of long runs anyway.

It doesn't replace your long runs (which should be your bread and butter) and you will start with 3, 4 or 5 800m. At the end of your training, you should be able to do 10 or 12 (can't remember the exact figure). So it is only an indicator at the end when you reach the peak of your training (about 3 weeks before the marathon).

• I get that DD.

I ran them as an alternative to an interval session as I'm a bit bored of those (I enjoy long runs and tempos, but intervals I don't like). I did 6 last night as I read you're supposed to start low and build up. Though I know I could have done 10. Where as I also know i couldn't have done the equivalent in hours and minutes for a marathon. Not by a long chalk.

I'll go back to more regular intervals next week and maybe try them again (but do 10) in a few weeks.
  • JL, I agree with you, marathon training isn't always exciting and you need different training sessions to keep you going. I like the Yasso sessions but I haven't got access to a track when I need it..

If I was doing a session tomorrow, I think I would be doing around 2:50 but I doubt that I could manage more than 5x800M, possible 6 but surely not 10..

What sort of time were you doing for 800M last night and what was your time for your last marathon? We might be able to speculate why it doesn't correlate for you.

• I'm a plodder couldn't do 2.50! I've done 4.30, 4.08, and 4.04 in marathons.

Aiming for sub 4 in Paris so I aimed to do the Yasso session at 3.50. I ran all six between 3.41 and 3.46. I pretty certain I could have done 4 more at the same pace.

I assume the reason is I don't do enough mileage?. I only do 3 runs a week, occasionally 4. I do an interval or hills session, a tempo run, and a long run. At the moment I'm doing only 25-30 miles a week. Usually ramp up to a maximum of
  • Of 35 miles a week closer to the race (20 mile long run, 8 mile tempo, 7 mile intervals for example).

Not sure what happened there with the separate posts. Sorry
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Johnny - I got my sub 4 at Paris last year and for me I need the long runs and lots of them. I did three 20's, one 21 and a 22 mile LSR in the build up to that. I was running 4/5 times a week. I personally think 25-30 miles a week is low to hit sub 4. I was averaging about 40-45 most weeks. I did my first couple of marathons off your sort of mileage and suffered really badly in the later stages of the race.

• JL. I've got OK pace on the shorter distances but on the longer one i have a loss of form. The thing i have learnt from the experienced posse on this thread is to run an extra longish run during the week. which i am trying to do.  So looking at 11 or 12mile on a thursday evening and 16/17+ on a Sundaymorning peaking at 13 and 21 in the first week of march. Add that to a separate interval session, recover run on a monday or tuesday and a tempo run of about 8 miles on a friday. Sadly that means i am looking at 4 or 5 runs a week depending on the mileage. What i am saying is - try to slip an extra longy in there midweek if you can. it might help

• Seems like your experiences reflect what I guessed. Mileage and number of sessions are just not enough.

Will attempt to rectify but can't see how !!
  • My schedule peaks at 43 miles in week 11 & 12.

With a 6 miles x 2 and a 8 miler in week 11 during the next week a 7 miles x 2 and a 5 miler.

It also suggest a 3 miler the day before the long run but I am nearly 40 now so have been missing them out.

• Hi there, anyone knows how to get the downloaded medical certificate signed by a doctor for free and quickly? Or at least without breaking the bank?

Ive got to re-register in my GP (not been there for a long time) and persuade them to sign without going through any examination. They told me over the phone that Ive got to pay as that's not a NHS task. This whole thing of the medical certificate is a big load of nonsense that certainly is putting me off french races.

Thanks

• How much they charging Sergio?

• Plus you can download from their website.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

It cost me £25. All I did was hand in the form and pick it up signed and stamped the next day. The GP never even saw me!

• Doctors visit today resulted in no medical certificate being signed, but she said she would sign it next month. I knew I was being optomistic asking her!!

Back to work on Friday,  with very restricted duties. Just been to see manager about it and for once they appear to be ok and accepting it! And I am only working Friday,  Sunday and Monday before I have 5 days off.  I will not complain! And they have given me short shifts the following week tooimage

Now I just need to sort out the matter of actually running.........

Aiming for sub 4 in Paris so I aimed to do the Yasso session at 3.50. I ran all six between 3.41 and 3.46. I pretty certain I could have done 4 more at the same pace. 

I honestly think that you could do 3:45 in Paris but you will need to increase your mileage.

Johnny Lyall wrote (see)
    Will attempt to rectify but can't see how !!

An extra session (possibly 2) would help. I would try to have a medium long run in the week or replace the tempo run with a medium long run (basically to increase your weekly mileage). You could also try an early morning run. Not exactly great at the moment as it is still dark but it will get lighter soon.

• @ James: Will know the final figure tomorrow as it's when the GP will see me and the form. It could go from as little as £20 to over £100 if they feel you need a full exam based on what they told me over the phone.

Eggyh73 well done on getting that for £25 with minimum hassle.

I would pay that too! 

Nonetheless, it shows the hypocrisy of getting charged for being healthy as opposed of getting free treatments for taking unhealthy options (i.e. smoking)

And why the french came up with this absurd idea? Apparently It excludes members of the french athletic federation only 

• Sergio G wrote (see)

And why the french came up with this absurd idea?

Cos they are French !

• It cost me £18 pounds for mine and, as I put in my previous posts, he was more concerned about the implications of signing it as opposed to whether I was actually fit enough to do it or not.

•  

£18 is pretty reasonable given the circumstances. I would pay that too 

Fingers crossed for me tomorrow. The key thing is finding a cool GP who is understanding 

• Sergio G wrote (see)

Apparently It excludes members of the french athletic federation only 

If you want to join the French Athletic Federation, I think you need to have a certificate from your doctor. This is why they don't ask you to have a certifcate for races.

• getting your doctor to sign these certificates - its like a lottery - similar to your driving test examiner - lucky dip! . I made an appointment to see my GP and talked to him about it, offered him the choice to examine me - he went through my notes, asked me a couple of questions about my health and my training and offered to issue a certificate from scratch - i produced the one from Paris marathon website to which he replied "even better" signed and stamped - no mention of a charge. Can't believe some of these chiefs out there.

• Denis hope you agree on the fact that this medical certificate thing is an exagerated measure that is causing a lot of unnecessary hassle to many runners.

Yep, as the Jimbob suggests it's a lottery!

• Told you guys, Just marry a Doctor and it has other benefits as well image

• Sergio G wrote (see)

Denis hope you agree on the fact that this medical certificate thing is an exagerated measure that is causing a lot of unnecessary hassle to many runners.

Totall agree with you.

I put it down to being a novice when it comes down to diet, nutrition, lifestyle, sticking to training plans etc. That and doing not enough long runs. No idea how people find the time.

One race at a time Johnny - the mileage can increase over time as your speed climbs up. I was doing 20-25kms runs on Fridays and then 32-35kms on Sundays before my fastest marathons. The body has to get used to running while tired and depleted to convert fitness into fast marathon times. You are training your body to get used to running on fat-burning energy system. Your current schedule allows a fair amount of recovery in between sessions...?

Sergio G wrote (see)

This whole thing of the medical certificate is a big load of nonsense that certainly is putting me off french races.

Sorry Sergio - I have a different point of view. I appreciate that in Italy and France that take more effort to ensure that people are fit to run than they do in the UK or Belgium. Even in Germany you are often asked to do health questionnaires as a pre-screening.

The issue is the uncertainty of what you have to pay for in the British medical system.  You might want to bring your own coffee over to Paris because I have a feeling you could be shocked at what you have to pay for a tiny cup of the black stuff on the streets of Paris... image  No French bashing please.

Good session on exercise bike at lunchtime. Probably lost a kilo in sweat. Yuck. Immune system is trying to stay on top of the lurgy Yer_Maj. Think I'll pull through OK, thanks for asking.

• You can of course do a triathlon in France without a medical cert.....
  • Wow Sergio - that article linked to earlier today concluded there were two factors contributing to the death of a 'fit runner' in the London Marathon.  1) She used a drink containing a now banned stimulant and ii) ...."The inquest also heard that although Stephanie Curnoe, Squires's acupuncturist, has said she identified an irregular heartbeat in the runner in 2011, the hairdresser had not mentioned that either to her family, boyfriend or doctor."

Health checks are good and have a value. I pay every year to get full tests and ECG on a health lab. I don't want to drop down dead in a race if it is an avoidable problem. I want to have confidence to train in the high 90% Max Heart Rate range. But I'm still sorry you don't have a clear price but in my opinion, these checks are so worth it. Your life is valuable. Get expert consultation to identify any risks you may be carrying around.

• Acupuncturist diagnosing irregular heart beats ! Yeah right
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I did think it was interesting that as the irregular heartbeat was "only" picked up by an acupuncturist, it was pretty much dismissed out of hand at the inquest...