Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• No, no, no.....

I'm the OTHER singing Rick who had bad taste....

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/J/Rick-James-248967-1-402.jpg

• Yer_maj - there was actually a polite little 'warning' on page one of this thread which let people know that this was not so much a thread about the race, but rather a place for friends to chat and rag on each other, who just happen to be running the race (or maybe just plan to run it some day).   So to answer your question, yes, I'm glad I found it.   Seems like a fun bunch.  image

• Being someone who seems to be perpetually broke these days, I know that just going to a race can add up fast.   If there is anyone else in a similar situation who is struggling with the idea of paying for a hotel and meals in Paris, we've got a couch that flips out in to a bed.  Really just suitable for one person.   Both my wife and I are running the race, so we could all take the train in together on the morning of the race.   You could join us for a big carbo-loading dinner the night before without having to go to a restaurant, and get a good breakfast in as well.  If we don't have what you want/need to eat in the morning, we can even take you shopping.   If anyone is interested, please PM me.  We live near the Noisy Le Grand station on the RER A line (this is outside Paris cental).

-RickJames

• Lordy, I'm humming that Rick Astley song now....thanks image

Just back from my hill climb of just over 9k..Certainly felt that after Sunday's Half.  OUCH.  But managed to get back home. 

Just looking at the final results from Sunday.......wooohooo, I was 126th out of 137th and the last few were over 20 mins after me.  COOL...!!  First home was 1.13. He's training for Paris, so I hope to see him on the train up and might step on his toes...LOL

It's all coming around too quickly now....eek.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Yer-Maj go into Garmin connect, plan, workout. New workout,add a simple name, add step, ie warm up, 6 mins, no target. Recovery, 2 mins, no target, interval, distance 1200m,target pace 4.15 - 5.10 (fairly large but pace is not always precise). Add repeat, click and drop recovery and interval, select the number of repeats.

Workout type cycling. There is a bug for the 410 I don't know if it was fixed but doesn't transfer pace for running. Remember to save. Send to device.

On the watch,find it in training, workout, advanced. Preview the steps because you can't change them on the watch.

Beeps at every change and if pace is too fast/slow. I made my intervals 3x400 so if beeps during the interval and I have better feeling how long to go.

Otherwise i think you can block the light to say on. Good luck
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@James - What a lovely offer image I think that TD is planning a carbo meal on Saturday night for the thread. I'm not even sure where my hotel is image

@Onetit - that's a great time! Well done!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

PC91 - thank for that image

Excitement for today - I've got to the top of the Allotment List after 3 years....just been looking at overgrown patches of weeds....image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Yer-maj, I presume you'll be planting runner beans!
  • Our village has loads of unused allotments !  It must be the only place in the country

• 31 days 18 hrs.....eek!

Just been for a 12km tempo run with my youngest following behind on her bike (half-term here en France).

I've worked out that the bar in which we plan to meet after the race is a mere 1km from our hotel image  At what time are people expecting to refuel on Guinness?  

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

PC91 - I certainly will be (they happen to be my favourite vegetable if home grown!)

Second excitement of the day - I have me a brand spanking new pair of Saucony Guides.  8mm drop....I never thought I'd see the day image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Rick - you're SUPERFREAKY - Yeow (Temptations sing)

Dave - are you sure you're not looking at the cemetary?

• @Emmy - is the dinner something that needs to be RSVP'd for?  I'd be interested.

@Orbutt - I guess I'm not the kind of girl you bring home to mother.

• OK OK, I get it. You want ANOTHRER list. This one for people who PLAN to get together for pasta-loading the evening before the race. We go to a place called Pasta Papas just off the Champs Elysees ('Field of Dreams') half way down. It's not expensive, the portions are big, it's crowded and they don't expect you to hang around and they do open early.

So I am going to suggest we meet at 6pm (which means we'll be out probably just before 8pm) and that with TWO WEEKS before the race, I don't take any more additions to the list. Because I need to make a reservation and the place is packed on the night.

So if you want in, or you want to tinker with the formula, please say so now.

Yer_Maj If I was in your shoes (see what I did there?), I'd give those new trainers a go right away. Your existing motion control shoes, whilst familiar, may be fundamentally inhibiting you from running your new gait. I think the risks of conservatively introducing a change for every other run you do, compared to carrying on with shoes which are inappropriate, is a better choice. Like I say, wear them every other run for a week or two and see what that feels like. If good, you can accelerate the transfer to the new shoes.

Ricky - very hospitable offer but one of the people on this thread is definitely an axe murderer. I won't say anything about the fact they have a Kiwi accent and that the name Radar Sal is deliberately misleadingimage

• TD - put these 3 down for the Pasta:

The Jimbob

Jimbob's mate Dan

Jimbob's lovely cousin Ingrid

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Tricky - does actually sitting at my desk RIGHT NOW wearing them with a huge grin on my face count??

I plan to wear them for the warmup part of my (eek) race simulation run tomorrow....I'm fairly sure my old stabils are causing me troouble now as I have a knee niggle that I've never had before....

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ingrid, you say?  Oh lord, I smell trouble...

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

TD - Please put me down for a place too.

Just back from a 16 mile LSR. I done it today as I have the Loch Katrine half on Sunday, bloody hell that hurt and then some.

• TD - Can you add me to the meal list please? And if possible can I sit next to Ingrid?

Many thanks
    Weedy (39, Pisces, GSOH, WLTM Ingrid)
    Okay, maybe not a GSOH, but not a terrible SOH.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

OK OK, I get it. You want ANOTHRER list. This one for people who PLAN to get together for pasta-loading the evening before the race. We go to a place called Pasta Papas just off the Champs Elysees ('Field of Dreams') half way down. It's not expensive, the portions are big, it's crowded and they don't expect you to hang around and they do open early.

So I am going to suggest we meet at 6pm (which means we'll be out probably just before 8pm) and that with TWO WEEKS before the race, I don't take any more additions to the list. Because I need to make a reservation and the place is packed on the night.

So if you want in, or you want to tinker with the formula, please say so now.

Ricky - very hospitable offer but one of the people on this thread is definitely an axe murderer. I won't say anything about the fact they have a Kiwi accent and that the name Radar Sal is deliberately misleadingimage

Yes.... we like lists image

I'll avoid any comments regarding RS's axe' murderer abilities image

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

TD - Can you add me to the meal list please? And if possible can I sit next to Ingrid?

Many thanks
    Weedy (39, Pisces, GSOH, WLTM Ingrid)
    Okay, maybe not a GSOH, but not a terrible SOH.

Dear List Fairy.. Please put the following people on the list:

1. Jimbob
    2. Jimbob's mate Dan
    3. Jimbob's lovely cousin Ingrid
    4. Eggy
    5. Weedy (with a GSOH)
    6. Emmy with a nervous complex the night before a race
  • Ha Ha  - Weedy gettin in there wiv Ingi - she's a character - she might break your heart but you'll have fun along the way!

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

TD - Can you add me to the list please. With the wife not getting there till the Sunday I'll be all lonely and will be great to meet all you lovely people.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    1. Jimbob
    2. Jimbob's mate Dan
    4. Eggy
    5. Weedy (with a GSOH)
    7. ATM ..Even tho' 6 pm is far too late for anyone Scottish to be having their tea...

oops...Sorry about the formatting.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Yay Tricky, Good Man!

Mrs O and I would love to join the Pasta Papas Pasta Party image

Dear List Fairy.. Please put the following people on the list:

1. Jimbob
    2. Jimbob's mate Dan
    4. Eggy
    5. Weedy (with a GSOH)
    7. Trevor Olver
    8. ATM
    9. Orbutt
    10. Mrs O
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Erm are we no saving a seat for TD since he's been so kind to organise it, or is he sitting on Jimbobs lap!

• TD - Please can I also have a pasta papa place?

And a spot at the bar. On the Sunday. Obviously.
  • TD - please add me and Mrs Mac to the list.

The night before my previous 3 marathons have involved a nervous tummy and and a very early breakfast of porridge. An organised sit-down meal might be just the thing to calm the nerves. Or not.
  • Eggy, if he can put up wiv my jam tarts he's welcome to!
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    3 more for the pasta party please.

I don't mind putting up an axe murderer but I draw the line with kiwis.:-P

What time is the pub on Sunday? I cant get there before 11am. image