Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Larri - Did you enjoy Barca?  I did it 2 yrs ago and loved it; it's a well organised marathon, I think....a lot more so than Rome.

30 very hilly kms done this morning in rain and gusty winds.....it was horrible but it is done and in the bag.  My feet feel as though they have been run over by a passing car!

Onetit - I'll PM you.  Stay strong. 

• James, you'll be subbing 1.40 on yer next half if u keep that up. Well done. Now its time to have a breather from the 5 pints of ale and two glasses of wine till after Paris. Right?
  • TD - That sounds an ace plan!! Are  you still ok for my two charming girls?? They will be delighted to see me(hopefully) as in Amsterdam my sil took them away and they didn't see start, finish or anything in between!!

James - Well done on an excellent PB!image

Horrendous forecast for the rest of the week, with severe gales etc......so I might have to bench my LSR or do it on dreadmillimage I really want to get another 20 mile run done so what am I going to do???

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Kaz, your girls are still welcome with my lot - we'll have 2 boys - 14 and 12 as well.  However if you think they'd be safer with Tricky then....you're probably rightimage

• Sorry ym i thought they were all going together. That'll be cool thanx. Like ages/minds!!image

• ARSE! No, not you or yours Yer_Maj! image

Flag link is broken. RW web programmers are very amateur. Failure is very much an option ladies and gentlemen. Apollo 13 is floating off out past Mars....

Anyway, the Heart Belgium flag will be used. You'll all see it under the Arc or at Pasta Papas if you come there on Saturday evening.

Kaz - very happy to have your daughters with me. I'll take good care of them. image

• Tricky, Ingrid will probably want to hang with you seeing as you are a man in the know.
  • The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Tricky, Ingrid will probably want to hang with you seeing as you are a man in the know.

I guess someone has to. image

image I expect a sudden flurry of other hangers-on wanting to join the posse now.

yer_maj wrote (see)

They're on 28 just now...so there'd be no problem putting at least 50 on them before Paris.  We'll see.

Yer_Maj - the issue really isn't the shoes being broken in, it's about how comfortable you feel in them. I'd trust your instinct on this one. At least do your longest run this weekend in them. If that feels OK, I suspect they will be the best option for you.

• ATM - Didn't even know the 'convocation' was the registration form. Certainly wouldn't have found it. Even with your excellent directions it took me about half an hour! My registration has been a little unorthodox as I'm entered on a freebie after they lost my chip time (hence my entire race history and proof of time) last year. This has made me paranoid and suspicious in the extreme. (Doesn't "a certain convocation of politic worms" crop up in Hamlet? Death of Polonius etc.?) Many thanks!

Jimbob - I was at Reading,too, with a slight cold which now threatens to become man-flu. Bloody weather! Anyway, I had the reverse of your starting zone experience. I thought I'd have a stab at my PB of 1:25 (Gosport 2 years ago) and was in the yellow enclosure. Didn't feel great, so plonked myself at the back, but really should have 're-penned'. I prefer the experience you had of passing people rather than being passed by runners from the group behind. Maybe all that striving to get round slower runners helped your excellent PB-smashing performance? I finished under 1:30, but think I'll start further back in Paris. 26 miles gives you plenty of time to catch up if you're feeling good. It also feels a long way if you're getting skinned from the outset! Psychology, psychology. . . !

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

What goes up, must come down. Or so the saying goes.

After a fantastic seven days last week my first run of this week was a crash back down to earth. Nothing as severe as an injury but just utterly grim; 16K Recovery run at 6am in the freezing cold and pi$$ing rain, not a good combination.

Also a load of 'irritants' thrown in for good measure too; reversing lorries, paperboys riding their bikes on the pavement even slower that I was running, and a few splashings by cars. Wonderful.

Then took me ten minutes to get my house key out of my glove (had a little pocket) as my hands were that sodding cold I couldnt pull it out. It's supposed to be Spring.

Forecast isn't any better for the rest of the week. Here in York, or in Torquay. I'll just have to get so aled up in the latter that the weather won't be an issue....!

Anyone got a long-term forecast for Paris? Not that it'll change 60 times between now and then....image

• The entry list for the 2013 Badwater is announced today...   only one person from the UK..  it is (as always!) about 80% US entrants, with the rest being divided among the rest of the world..

geezz...  I'm really going to have to make my application something special to be offered a place...   image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Bedders, we don't mention the weather forecast until next week.  Otherwise Armageddon will ensue.  This week we moan about how our legs are tired and how our training plans don't seem to have any perceptible mileage cuts in them.

Once we've finished with theat, *then* we move onto the weather.  Folowed by the Grand Finale:  Packing.  Mainly starring ATM and her Lists.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

We can help you with your application DV image

• Yes I thoroughly enjoy barcelona race. It's flawlessly organized.

YM, it's definitely a PB prospect course wise. A few minor humps but no big deal. No congestion, drinks stations well manned and in bottles. I'd say go for it.
  • Hi vioolman. Maybe it was the overtaking made me impatient and forced me on. I got hemmed in quite a few times with people running along in rows, it was frustrating, with all the bobbing and weaving and running really wide, I think I could have gone quicker, and nicer conditions, quicker still. But it was good enough for now. I'll hunt the sub1.30 some other time. I know for sure marathon training makes me faster over shorter distances. Attention now turns to Paris. Target pace is 8mm with room in the last 6 or 7 miles to fade. So if I go in the blue pen I'll be running with people at similar pace although I suspect I'll be jostling a bit, but a little bit of jostling never hurt did it.
  • ...... It might have just been the peeing rain that made me go quicker! Well done on your sub1.30! Where u starting in Paris?
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Of course jimbob. Another pint won't pass my lips. Honest.
  • ATM wrote (see)
     Nead? Still alive?

Just about ATM!  Nursing a massive hangover after too many Paddy's Day drinks yesterdayimage.  Ah sure needed to cut lose a bit after all the hard training I guess.  The focus will be back on tapering tomorrow.

Larri wrote (see)
    Yes I thoroughly enjoy barcelona race. It's flawlessly organized.
    YM, it's definitely a PB prospect course wise. A few minor humps but no big deal. No congestion, drinks stations well manned and in bottles. I'd say go for it.

I second that!  Apart from the heat in Barcelona last year, which didn't suit me after training in cold rainy Dublin, I loved it. It was my first marathon though so not much to compare it with.  Really well organised.  I found the last mile tough though since it is one long avenue which has a slight incline and you can see how far you have left to go.

• Had an automated email today from the organisers which contained this phrase:

"To avoid last minute stress, we recommend printing your convocation now on your Marathon de Paris race page. Verify your medical certificate, which must be dated less than a year ago and must mention your aptitude for running in competition. These documents, as well as your proof of identity, will be needed to pick up your number."

Anyone know what the hell the 'convocation' is and why I should print this out to avoid stress??

Stressed.

Rich

• Log on to you ASO page and you will find your convocation or registration certificate.

My OH set the damn alarm for 6 am this morning so we could go and do 6 miles of fartlek before she went to work !

It's Monday for dogs sake
  • I confidently predict there will be weather in Paris for the marathon.

I'm still trying to work out what a convocation is, even though I've downloaded mine. Google translate suggests 'call-up' or 'whip' image . Can someone reassure me I haven't volunteered to join the Foreign Legion?
  • Cheers Dave. I'd have never have found that and would have probably gone into a mega rant at the Expo after 3 hours of queuing to get in before being sent away disappointed and probably in the back of a Gendarme van!

• imageJames B 73 wrote (see)
    Of course jimbob. Another pint won't pass my lips. Honest.

is that the real thing mister? or are you selling me a box of tat?

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01635/Del-Boy_620_1635478a.jpg

• The Jimbob wrote (see)

yes MM (but i'm having deja vu!) image

Sorry about that - no idea why it posted twice!

• Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

taper crazies already started image?

• yer_maj wrote (see)

Onetit, sounds like a rest day might be in order...sorry to hear about the vet...

ATM - I no longer over pronate due to magic new running gait, so I'm making the transition from built-up-shoe Saucony Stabils with a 13mm drop to Saucony Guides with an 8mm drop.  They're lighter, more flexible and I just automatically run slightly faster in them with no extra effort because they're better suited to my new gait I think.  Having said that, I'm wary of making the transition too quickly...just in case...!  Plus I have 3 pairs of stabils with only 200 miles on each...!  So I'm planning to continue to alternate them for a while until my poor ravaged legs are used to having to work harder.

You'll all be glad to know that my arse seems to be functioning better too - and I'm not referring to Trick's lovely chart....

Hi YM: You may have missed my note a few pages back, but would you be kind enough to repost the link to the posture/gait site you posted a week or so ago?

• And curses. TD: I can't see the flag picture. It has a little blue box with a question mark where it ought to be. Or is that the flag?image

• You lot are going to have to calm doon a bit..........I only popped oot for a couple o hours and 2 pages?????image

Anyway its freezing oot there, but 8.6 miles done in wind and snow and hail. Felt really good for a change., and amazed that as ran progressed so did speed even if only slightly!! Splits -9.40, 9.35,9.30,9.08,9.04,8.51,8.50,8.46 and 5.26 for last bit.image

• The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

taper crazies already started image?

I prefer to think of it as "TISN" (Taper-induced special needs)image

• Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Right, this week's is nigh-on ungooglable. Pint for the first person to get this. Reckon Kaz stands the best chance.

For all the recent arrivals, there's a cryptic film quiz hidden in the list. You have to find it, then solve it. And if you've got any events/birthdays coming up and want them adding to the list, just post when and where.

I've only just realised it was hidden in the list! I just thought I was daft. I can't even identify the question, let alone the answer.

And can you add Maus birthday on 30 July?