Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Jus T - exactly what coarse advice did he give you? On second thoughts, don't answer that image .
  • We stayed in apartment that sleeps 6 + 2 Equidistant between Les Halles and Grand Boulevards metro stations. Was perfect for what we wanted. We use "Owners Direct" website for all our trips abroad
  • Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Jus T - exactly what coarse advice did he give you? On second thoughts, don't answer that image .

You know, between us we could make a fantastic comedy gag writing duo.

If Dick Emery were still alive image

• Hotel - Parc Montsouris, Rue du Parc Montsouris. Downside - it's not near the start (20 mins on the train , 1 easy change). Advantages - cheap (???90/night for single room), cheerful (more like a large B&B). On a direct RER line from the airport and the Gare du Nord, and the tramline to the Expo. Also in a nice area next to a park. Rooms with baths, free wifi, but no kettles. I've used it several times.
  • Emmy H wrote (see)
    TP - I think you missed off: Eco trail de Brussels image

Which one are you doing?  Bit close to P-V but I could do the 30k, quick hop up on the Thalys perhaps?

Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Jus T - exactly what coarse advice did he give you? On second thoughts, don't answer that image .

You know, between us we could make a fantastic comedy gag writing duo.

Oooh you are awful ..... ah is that my coat?

• TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

Oooh you are awful ..... ah is that my coat?

Hello Honky Tonk.

• image   I'd forgotten that one.  I'm afraid me in heels these days is very Emeryesque ...

Hello Nikki, what a brilliant first time, see you again next year?

• Hotel Astrid.  Stayed here twice.  About 3 minutes from both the Arc and the finish along a quiet street.  Rooms are relatively small and only have showers but are comfortable and have free wi-fi.  Early breakfast available on marathon day.  €96 per night if booked early and non-refundable, which includes a very good breakfast.

• Just watched the videos of me running....much to the hilarity of my youngest daughter.  I stuck my arms above my head as I ran over the line.  I look short and incredibly squat.  I don't remember there being so many people running in at the same time and I definitely didn't see the cheerleaders!  I really went for it but look as though I am having a little jog image   

• Oh and DV.  2014?  Hell aye.

• Running Rodent wrote (see)

Just what I was thinking too.  They say a dirty mind is a pleasure for life.... I'm blaming Mausey. She started it a couple of pages back. I'm still fairly blushing.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TP - I was going to do the 25km image
  • Brian O Riordan wrote (see)
    Great time nikki

Totally agree, Nikki - fab time. Congratulations!

Brian - one of my memories at the pub: you, wandering in. Me: "How'd you get on?" You: "Ok." Me: "What time did you come home in?" You: "Ah, 2, uh, 58 I think." I don't think I've ever seen anyone that chilled about such a world-class time! What's next for you?

Scott the walker wrote (see)
    My daughter has a cold , so been staying well away from her and taking heaps of vit c ,
    Stayed in apartments during the stay so can't help with lists for hotels ,
    But can recommend Airbnb for people wanting to self cater for a cheaper price than hotels

Scott -totally agree, I got my apartment this way too. It wasn't as good an experience as usual, but I've stayed in airbnb in NYC, Berlin, Woodstock and Brighton previously and the experience has been amazing and affordable.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

OK - a couple of events for the Calendar

May 19th - Port Sunlight 10k

June 9th - Mersey Tunnel 10k

• I have a cold. Don't think it ever went away. Sniff.

+1 for being impressed with Brian's coolness. I would be doing somersaults if I had just run sub 3!

Maus - as a keen student of French running advice translations, I loved your supporters guide. Brilliant!
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Ok I just read that as Doing Someone. You lot have corrupted me image

I haven't got a cold. Yet.
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Ok I just read that as Doing Someone. You lot have corrupted me image

I haven't got a cold. Yet.

yeah, it was all our doing image

• Hotel summary :

Lord Byron, Rue de Chateaubriand.

Good - 1 minute walk to race start. Very quiet. Very runner friendly, bath, wifi, McDonalds 2 minutes walk away.

Bad - expensive, breakfast is extra (so we frequented McDonalds), decor a bit tired (didn't bother me but Mrs Mac not impressed), no kettle.

I would stay there again but would book earlier for a better deal.
  • Simon - Dan stayed there as well! they let him have a late check out till 3pm - free of charge

• Jimbob - yes, I can't fault the service, they were really friendly and helpful.
  • Nic ENic E ✭✭

Hotel - I was at the Astrid too.  I thought they were lovely - I went home on the Sunday so had checked out, but they opened up a room so I could shower afterwards.  No kettle in the room - I brought my own for my 6am porridge. 

For the List Fairy - I'm doing the Bupa 10k on 27 May too, and then the Cabbage Patch 10 on 20 October.

I'm a not sure for Paris next year - I fancy Berlin and am not sure I'm up to 2 marathons in a year!

• YM - I blame you. The whole time we've been on this thread I've read your first comment, "Snagging list?" as, "Shagging list?"

Which would be something else entirely.

(I do apologise for bringing down the tone.)
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I rather suspect a shagging list could cause the Downfall of Society....
  • Nic E wrote (see)

Hotel - I was at the Astrid too.  I thought they were lovely - I went home on the Sunday so had checked out, but they opened up a room so I could shower afterwards.  No kettle in the room - I brought my own for my 6am porridge. 

For the List Fairy - I'm doing the Bupa 10k on 27 May too, and then the Cabbage Patch 10 on 20 October.

I'm a not sure for Paris next year - I fancy Berlin and am not sure I'm up to 2 marathons in a year!

didn't realise Nic.  Did you have brakfast on Sat or Sun?

• well everyone had me down as a bit of a winker image

• Iain - it would be very difficult, nae impossible, to lower the tone of this thread.....
  • Nic E - i'm doing Bupa London and so is CarlD, we're meeting up for it - get in touch iof you want to meet for medal photocall / couple of post race pints nearer the time!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Is that a gauntlet? Maus is the woman for the job, I reckon...
  • Nic ENic E ✭✭

DLR - Both!  I made the most of the great breakfast on Saturday morning, but only managed a very quick appearance on the Sunday - felt too nervous to manage more than a gulp of coffee and a half-hearted attempted to eat some bread.

• Nic ENic E ✭✭

Jimbob and CarlD - Would be great, thanks