Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Iain - Germany is a short drive from Paris. That does not serve you well as an alibi image
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

We can post pictures again?

Result !

/members/images/676282/Gallery/rocky_O.jpg

• Danni - that's why I disappeared so quickly after pasta papas...!

Orbutt - marvellous!

• I sense a dam of unposted pictures about to burst...

To ignore someone, find one of their posts and click on the picture. You should get an 'ignore' button. It will stop you seeing their posts, although if someone quotes them you'll still see that.

For the nutellaphiles, I recommend Philadelphia Cadbury (I think it's Milka in foreign parts). It's not the same, but it's good for a chocolatey hit on your toast with a lot fewer calories.
  • Orbutt wrote (see)

We can post pictures again?

Result !

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Garmin is in facts Jamesb1973

• Think post mara lurgy has hit now that I'm home. Bleary eyes, sore head, and major stomach problems. image back to work today too.......

My girls eat Nutella with a spoon, by the jar.... Book. I am sure the eldest would like that stuff RR, it'll be on the shopping list for tomorrow.
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Orbutt - Is that really Rocky doing the Orbot ? He was ahead of his time. In the group photo, my daughter is doing the Orbot. Educate them young !

I heard that at the Pyongyang marathon, there were 3 million people at the first water station.  A couple of ultras ran 400k, to China.

I love the code names unfortunately I couldn't think of anything better.  It's surprising when you see the real names, especially Darth Vader but I did hear that George Lucas did have it as his second choice.

Yer-Maj : is it short for 'Your Majesty' or is it Welsh.  "Kate is also short for Bob" (one for Weedy).

In Paris I ran behind the crowds when it got too narrow that's why I was interested in the ideal weight so next time I could squeeze through easily.  There were fat people who finished in front of me and skinny people behind, for the 4h+ brigade I think weight has little impact.  I needed a personnel goal as I wanted to be 83kg for so long and now I've attained that, thanks to TD advice, I've set a new target but I'll never be Kate Moss.

Nutella often promotes 1kg tubs and I've seen a 5kg. French Education and Health, piloted a sucessful campaign to teach nutrition to children in 2 French villages however so the project could spread (no pun intended) to other schools, they needed funding.  Nutella and Kraft Food were among the sponsors, strangley the national campaign had no sucess.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    PC91 - no, I had to re-educate Rocky in a Weedy stylee image
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

PC - years ago I used to moderate an online forum and my friends starting calling me yer maj then...it kind of stuck and it's an easy user name as it's not often been taken.  I think I was a wee bit strict as a moderator image

Kate is also short for Katherine but nobody can ever spell it which upsets my organism, so I stick to Kate.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Have to say some people annoy you.

A colleague of mine is runnin the London Marathon on Sunday. However, her partner and his family is saying she should not run it because of the poor fellar who copped it yesterday.

Have stated the facts (obviously after a google search) that the odds are 1 in 259,000. 59 deaths in 10.9 million runners. And 86% of those are men.

Nothing like words of encouragement from your partner!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I think people panic whenever somebody dies during a big race - and it does happen quite often unfortunately.  It seems that there is almost always an underlying condition that the runner wasn't aware of.  Which I suppose could be any one of us apart from Tricky, who has had his checked out.

I adopt the *lalalalalalalalalalalalalaaaaaaa* approach but I can understand why family etc would worry, particularly if they're not runners themselves.  My Dad is obsessed with my joints, particularly my knees.  He's convinced they're going to give way at any moment.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Simply what my Doctor said. How can I sign you medical form saying you are okay to run the marathon when you could have an underlying condition that I cannot detect from a simple check up.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    James - but what the doctor was supposed to say was 'I've examined him and I can see no reason why he can't take part in a competitive event'. There is a subtle difference that rules out underlying undetected conditions.

However, it's the fear of blame thing and I can see why doctors are reticent.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

James - It's very sad about that runner dying, but let's face it folk drop dead every day doing all sorts of run of the mill chores or tasks. Non-runners tend to only focus on the horror stories, like the one from yesterday.

How much closer to ill health would many of us be if we didn't run? I know if I'd never have taken up running I'd be in far worse shape. I took up running at 33 and was the unfit-est I'd ever been. Shockingly unfit when I think to what I was like then and what I'm like now. After running my first marathon four months after taking up running and uttering the words "never again", but a couple of weeks later I was back out running again. The reason was simple. I knew how unfit I'd been and didn't want to lose the massive gain in fitness I'd made.

Aged 33 when I played my weekly game of football I spent most of the time in goal. I was the unfit-est and slowest on the pitch. These days those same lads want me in their side as I "have the legs" and watch them fade in games when I feel like I'm hardly breaking a sweat.

• Rocky Orbot - brilliant image

Jus T - we're not all like that, honest. DLR and Celebrity Juice skew the statistics wildly.

PC91 wrote (see)

"Kate is also short for Bob"

Sounds suspiciously like Blackadder there image

• When I did my first IM, My mother was convinced I'd die... Then she turned to Suzie and said "It's OK, You will be there to llok after him"

Very unfair and Suzie isn't my doctor, and how anyone can be with an athlete all the way round an IM god knows ?

• Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Keyser Suze, Sean B, Straycelt.
    Apr 27: Shakespeare Rotary Marathon - Richard L.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan. Sunderland Half - Iain M.
    May 1: Montauban 18k - Onetit.
    May 3: North York Moors Marathon - Weedy.
    May 4: Bewl Marathon - Emmy.
    May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy. Richmond Marathon - Emmy.
    May 6: Milton Keynes Marathon - Emmy.
    May 9: Trois Rocs Trail Ultra - Onetit.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
    May 12: Chester Half - Dave The Ex Spartan. Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
    May 18: Brooklyn Half - Alexander.
    May 19: North Norfolk Half - Keyser Suze. Port Sunlight 10k - Orbutt.
    May 25-26: Chislet 24-hour challenge - DV.
    May 26: Brussels 20k - Pottermoss. Edinburgh Marathon - DJ Wolf, Tiddy, NCane, Weedy. Mull of Kintyre Half - Helterskelter. Paris-St Germain 20k - TP.
    May 27: London 10k - Carl D, Jimbob, Nic E.
    Jun 1: Absersoch 10k - James B.
    Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan. Mersey Tunnel 10k - Orbutt.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Jun 22/23: Hadrian's Wall Ultra - Richard L, Weedy.
    Jun 23: Alnwick Half - Iain M. Shrewsbury Half - Yer Maj. Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 4: Peachtree 10k - Danni.
    Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 16: Hamsterley Forest Marathon - Weedy.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
    Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - Emmy, Helterskelter, Iain M, Maus, RR, TD, Weedy.
    Jul 21: Run Melbourne Half - Jus T.
    Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Jul 30: Maus' birthday.
    Aug 3: The Devil O' The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Aug 17: Helsinki Marathon - Pottermoss.
    Sep 7: Aberfeldy Marthon - Clag.
    Sep 8: Run to the Beat Half - Jimbob.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, RS, Steve Duffy, Tiddy, Weedy.
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy. Paris-Versailles 16k - TP.
    Oct 6: Barcelona Tri - Simon Mac. Cardiff Half - Yer Maj. Royal Parks Half - Carl D. Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 13: Chicago Marathon - Danni.
    Oct 20: Abingdon Marathon - Steve Duffy. Amsterdam Marathon - Megs, Weedy. Cabbage Patch 10k - Nic E. Yorkshire Marathon - Malcs.
    Oct 20-25: Inverness to Skye 136k - TP.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy. Venice Marathon - Elizabeth. Marine Corps Marathon - Fanfan, Iain M, Rick.
    Oct 28: Dublin Marathon - Carl D, James B.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 2: DLR's birthday.
    Nov 24: Florence Marathon - Engineer.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 6: Newcastle Racecourse Marathon - Weedy.
    Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 9-12: Disney Dopey - Danni.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Mar 1: RS's birthday.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday. Peter B's birthday.
    Apr 8: Alexander's birthday.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.

Apr 13: Paris Marathon
    Definite: ATM, DLR, DV, Emmy, Maus, Mrs DV, Mrs O, Orbutt, Steve Duffy, Suzy M, TP, Weedy.
    Maybe: Carl D, Danni, Engineer, Iain M, James B, Jimbob, NCane, Nic E, PF, Scott W, Yer Maj.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

It's ok to be unhealthy but runners have to be careful of the risks !!!  My body is far from being a temple of health but I don't drink, smoke or eat meat.  Often I have to justify MY decisions to drunk chain smoking cannibals ! The world is upside down.

The poor lad in Brighton was only 23. RIP.  There were no fatalities at Paris this year, only 2 in the 38 years.  2 too many but impossible to predict.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Yes but Paris isn't a proper marathon.  Eurosport said so.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Gotta love mums eh. When I got in through the London ballot last year my mum's reaction was "Uch Malcolm, forgoodness sake, not another one!". Cheers Mum, thanks for sharing the joy image

Sad though it is these things do happen. If it was me, I'm not sure I could think of a better way to go than out on a run. I hope my family would take some comfort from the fact that I was doing something I loved. Give me that over a slow drawn out affair in some hospital bed any day.

Eggy - love that you turned the tables on your football buddies! I always dreamed of going back to a school reunion to find that all the cool guys had turned into geeks and that I was now the chick magnet. It never happened image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Malcs wrote (see)
    Eggy - love that you turned the tables on your football buddies! I always dreamed of going back to a school reunion to find that all the cool guys had turned into geeks and that I was now the chick magnet. It never happened image

To be fair I'm still a geek and about as far removed from a chick magnet as you get. I'm just a reasonably fit chick repelling geek now!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    James B 73 wrote (see)

Have to say some people annoy you.

A colleague of mine is runnin the London Marathon on Sunday. However, her partner and his family is saying she should not run it because of the poor fellar who copped it yesterday.

Have stated the facts (obviously after a google search) that the odds are 1 in 259,000. 59 deaths in 10.9 million runners. And 86% of those are men.

Nothing like words of encouragement from your partner!

I hear this all of the time. Its one reason that I went to my cardiologist to tell them: I've had a full cardio work up and i'm healthy. Its always a shame and very sad.

yer_maj wrote (see)

I adopt the *lalalalalalalalalalalalalaaaaaaa* approach but I can understand why family etc would worry, particularly if they're not runners themselves.  My Dad is obsessed with my joints, particularly my knees.  He's convinced they're going to give way at any moment.

Just use me as an example Yer_majimage 

I have 'family' members who insist on telling my sister and I that we're destroying our joints by running so many marathons. We tell them - we're healthier than certain members of our family who are obese/overweight and sit on their asses and refuse to exercise or choose to cycle 40 miles in one morning without training. Saying that my sister is wackier than I am - she sticks to the trails and 'enjoys' hills image

• What goes largely unreported is the amount of deaths whilst people are sat behind their TVs, watching people run marathons or some other crud (Celebrity Juice? - honestly, never heard of it but couldn't ever watch it I think). The biggest thing you should do is avoid sitting on a toilet because statistically speaking, that's the most likely place you will die. Or in a bed. Don't fall asleep, because you could die.

The human brain is really incapable of properly estimating risks on a societal scale. We could never remember all the millions of people who successfully complete marathons around the world each year. But as soon as one person keels over, it's flashed around the world and sticks in our heads. If there's a name, a picture, some personal details, the perception of the risk is hugely inflated.

Anyway, the one thing i would suggest is that it is possible to get a full ECG scan of your heart whilst you are under stress - in Belgium I go to a University Hospital sience lab, perhaps in the UK or other places, you can pay to get this done at a sports clinic. I know DV has done this.  They can see if you have any unusual arrythmias (sp?).

This is the sort of incident where a fit person is running along and then just drops dead on the floor.They can be detected and precautions can be taken. Interestingly, the medical cert you have to get done for competing in France is to warrant against these kinds of problems, but they don't mandate the relevant tests to discover the issues, so those certs are close to meaningless.

Happy day to you all. image Apart from Iain - he's the Nutella Bandit image

• please would Eggy, Keyser Suze, Sean B, Straycelt get the VLM app and divulge their "Tracker" numbers to us non runners so i can log you into my phone and MAKE A LOT OF NOISE (and save you Jelly Babies) when you run past me on Sunday morning. if you're funny about sharing it on the thread - you can facebook message it to meimage

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ooooh yeah I like a bit of Sunday morning Stalkery....from the comfort of my sofa, you understand.  Jimbob is going to make a noise on my behalf image

•  

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Dannirr wrote (see)
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Oh, and whoever it was who introduced me to Nutella - my waistline wants a word...

Eggy, MM, DLR, JusT - you know who I'm talking about... The stuff's addictive!

Incriminating evidence some might think...Iain?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/04/08/nutella-theft-germany.html

Danni - it wasn't me... I was in Paris last weekendimage

Ah, but we have proof that you can be in 2 places at once.

According to the List Fairy's latest missive you* are running a half marathon on 14 July when I know for a fact you have a flight booked to Vienna on 13 July...image

*Not stalking you - was looking for Weedy's movie quiz but am yet to identify the clue, let alone the movie.

• Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Rocky Orbot - brilliant image

Jus T - we're not all like that, honest. DLR and Celebrity Juice skew the statistics wildly.

PC91 wrote (see)

"Kate is also short for Bob"

Sounds suspiciously like Blackadder there image

My favourite Blackadder episode.image

• Stop looking Maus. It's not in this week - oops. Normal service will resume next week.