Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Matthew Pinsent just posted this on twitter - well put, I think:

@matthewcpinsent: A city marathon is one of life's joys - sport, energy, humanity. Thoughts with all of Boston.
  • I can't believe the news , shocking to bomb people watching and supporting a marathon , I was also aware of how much of a target the paris marathon was to terrorists ,

My heart goes out to everyone involved
  • Totally sickened. Just awful.
  • I too was seriously concerned about Paris being targeted last weekend by AQIM because of French intervention in Mali.  I dismissed my concerns thinking who would bomb a marathon ...

• Shocked. You wonder if whoever's done it had initially planned to target New York last year.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

It beggars belief. To think of the support, the happiness, the joy, the noise and excitement on peoples faces watching their family, friends and loved ones in the final mile of a marathon is one of lifes unplifting experiences.

To hear what happened in Boston in sickening. My thoughts will be with them every step of the way on Sunday.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

This is really awful. Who would do such a thing and why ..........  The bbc website is saying it happened about 3 hours after the winners crossed the line, yet the clock in the pictures is showing 4:09 ......... 2 more explosive devices found ....  truly awful day for sport, the people of Boston and the families of all those caught up in this ....... thoughts are with them all as this puts all our little struggles into perspective.

• and just to mention, on the subject of the runner who died in Brighton. His name was Sam Harper Brighouse.

https://www.justgiving.com/SamHarperBrighouse

• WTF?!? Why would anyone do that??? Geezzz.... It is sickening....
  • Hi all.  Hadn't posted it a while but was thinking of all of you when I saw this news.  It's absolutely horrific.  I'm happy that the friends I knew running in Boston today are okay but it's all so hard to imagine.  That said, I saw this tweet from NBC news and it reminded me how proud I am to be part of the running community:

@NBCSN Reports of Marathon Runners that crossed the finish line and continued to run to Mass General Hospital to give blood to victims.

Running marathons has always been about a lot more than running to me.  It's often a solitary sport I've found the community among runners and the comradarie at marathons to be absolutely amazing.  I have no doubt that we're going to pull together now more than ever.  

• thank you for your post Mary, your comment about runners giving blood has made me cry.  That feeling when you have crossed the finish line and given all you can, to keep going for the sake of other you don't know personally is very moving.  It just seems to sum up the humanity and personal challange in what we do.

• Totally sick, who would do this. Crying here too. V sad
  • Not good news from Boston, at all.

I suppose from the point of the perpetrators it's a legitimate target and a relatively easy and attractive one - look at the news and facebook to see the profile it get's compared to targeting something more mundane in the US, or the routine bombings in other parts of the world.

Reading between the lines it will be interesting to see who proves to be responsible.

That's just me being cold about the context. The human cost for the victims of anything, anywhere is always terrible but with Boston it seems even more so as it contrasts with what we've all experienced as the type of day that displays the best of human nature.

• Makes you wonder if people will think twice about supporting big city marathons now.  I hope this is a one off.  What sicko would target the finish line where families and runners should be celebrating months of sacrifice and hard work.  Running Boston is the pinnacle for many, this is just so tragic.  I don't want to look at any of the images, I find it too upsetting.  

• TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

Makes you wonder if people will think twice about supporting big city marathons now.  

You'd hope not.  I suspect there may be record crowds at London in response.  Kind of show of solidarity.

• If you stop doing things, because something might happen. then the terrorist wins.

When I was involved with Motorsport in the 1980's we had some amazing times in Northern Ireland when we went over to compete.
  • DLR - I think you might be right about London. Although I guess there will be a more visible security presence.
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

It is certainly is very difficult not to over react in such situations and I wouldn't normally advocate the eye for an eye rule. However, at the moment I suggest when these so called people are found that they are tortured for years.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

I also hope this does not deter runners from going on Sunday.

On a separate note - I did my first run since the marathon. 4 miles. Very sluggish. Now very stiff.

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    DLR - I think you might be right about London. Although I guess there will be a more visible security presence.

Yeah, I'd think so.  Must be such a simple event to target and impossible to make completely secure BUT maybe the target was the date rather than the event (which might be why the US politicians are offering carefully worded statements).

I think all you can do is make people feel more secure.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

it is difficult not to personalise these things. 8 year old waiting for his dad to finish - need I say more.

But a big shout out to Bill Iffrig - 78 years old - he got felled by the first blast yards from the finish. Apparently he managed to finish. If the time on the clock is anything to go by - he was under 4 hours.

• I hope more people show up on Sunday, don't let the sick f**ks win. As for an eye for an eye........tie them to the back of a truck and drag them round 42kms.
  • JB73...well done on your run
  • James B 73 wrote (see)

It is certainly is very difficult not to over react in such situations and I wouldn't normally advocate the eye for an eye rule. However, at the moment I suggest when these so called people are found that they are tortured for years.

Got to disagree with this James.  I hope they're caught and dealt with through the courts.  I probably can't explain what I mean clearly but to me I think you show your strength and resolve through sticking to the principles you claim to hold dear, and that's fairness and the rule of law, not abandoning them when faced with provocation.

• How very sad, such a soft target. I also believe London will provide a show of positive strength from the running community and it's supporters. London is at it's best in a 'business as usual' situation. Don't let hate breed hate.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    James B 73 wrote (see)

Got to disagree with this James.  I hope they're caught and dealt with through the courts.  I probably can't explain what I mean clearly but to me I think you show your strength and resolve through sticking to the principles you claim to hold dear, and that's fairness and the rule of law, not abandoning them when faced with provocation.

I completely agree with DLR. Find the people responsible and try them by the laws of the land.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

I agree DLR - it is the over reaction - dust will settle

• It's just devastating, any loss of life is sad, "explosions" and the removal of one more "safe" aspect of our lives, but within the amazingly resilient running fraternity is so sad. But, they messed with the wrong group, don't they know what marathon runners have struggled through and sacrificed to get to that point? We fN and will do anything. We will overcome all obstacles. Our love and positivity will rise up over this bs.

I can't help but think, what if it was us last weekend. It would have been round the time a lot if us finished.