Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Thanks TD, will do - and I had a feeling you would say that...!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Ks - is it their first half? I'd only take them up to 11 miles otherwise the race itself isn't really a challenge. 

Td - yup no one who's followed your plans have failed. I've never gone near them because I'm a scaredie cat image

• @KeyserSuze wrote (see)

I just wrote a 20 week training plan for my friends who're (blimey, nearly forgot the apostrophe!) 

Don't just remember it, but make sure it's in the right spot.  Could have been  'friend's whore'.

• Yeah.... Did my first Tri of the season yesterday... So much nicer than a marathon, the pain is all over in 1hr 24 minutes

• RS - it is. I've put them up to the distance as they're quite nervous, but that's a great point about achievement. I'll have a chat to them about it, we can always assess halfway through/along the way.

DLR, yup. Or 'friends' whore'. Ha.

Dave, that sounds great - what distance was that?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

The hard reset should work fine Princess- my 305 seems to need one every few weeks but works fine in between times.

For those interested in VLM 2014 the ballot has now closed (full in less than a day). On the plus side the Good for Age qualifation has been relaxed- details on the VLM site. For example men;

18-40: sub 3:05
    41-49: sub 3:15
    50-59: sub 3:20

Good news for me I can now qualify with a 3:20 marathon until I'm 59 image

• Sprint 

400m, 24k, 5k.  And a green finishers shirt, must be the in colour 

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

Td - yup no one who's followed your plans have failed. I've never gone near them because I'm a scaredie cat image

Failure is not an option on a Tricky Plan  image

More seriously, I did my first marathon in 2012, in Paris (obv.).  I had followed a Hal Higdon plan which had got me round without anything falling off, in 4:56:33.  Prior to that I had done one HM in 2:19:33.  The plan after Paris was to have a shot at 2:10 for a HM then 4:30 in Paris this year.

Mister Tricky offered to help with my HM training plan - I had intended to use another Hal programme (until I read one of his books and vowed never to give running space to the mysogynistic old bugger ever again but that's another story).  I took him up on the offer and whilst I can now clearly see he had no intention of allowing me a 2:10 HM, at the time I just took it one day at a time.  The result was that after 12 weeks I did the Glasgow Half in 2:02, followed by my spectacular skin-of-yer-teeth limbo under the post in 1:59:57 in Cardiff 5 weeks after that.  Which then led onto 4:12:55 in Paris last month.

Now, I know TD is going to swing by any minute now and tell me it was nowt to do with him and was all in the execution of the plan and sure, yes, ultimately it was up to me to put in the hard work and do the training, but the point of all this wiffle is this:  To an extent, TD knew I was capable of more than I thought I was at the time.  That training plan pushed me to my absolute limit, but was based on what I had already achieved, not only over the Mara and HM but also at shorter distances too.  It played to my strengths (endurance) and worked on my great weakness which was speed.  (Pyramid Intervals, anybody?  image

What this gave me was a huge shot of confidence and made me feel like a proper runner for the first time.  I have no doubt I would have knocked out a respectable time in Paris this year but I'm equally sure it would have been far closer to my original goal of 4:30 -  simply because I wouldn't then have had the confidence to have a go at P&D for my Paris training.

So if he offers - snap his hand off.  Just expect it to hurt a bit  image

ETA:  Ooooh that was a bit long, wasn't it...

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I will also jump on the Master Tricky bandwagon, because I borrowed the plan that he made for YM and, having missed sub 2 on 3 occasions, reduced my HM best from 2:02:47 to 1:55:49.

Now to do the same for 26.2 image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

I will also jump on the Master Tricky bandwagon, because I borrowed the plan that he made for YM and, having missed sub 2 on 3 occasions, reduced my HM best from 2:02:47 to 1:55:49.

Now to do the same for 26.2 image

P&D

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

What about smurfs?

Dutch. Doesn't count RS.

forgot to respond to this.  They're not dutch according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smurfs

Give in to the force young ones...yoda TD see you sub 4 will he.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Intervalsimage

Quite.  I thought I was looking forward to some HM training until I remembered about the intervals...

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I think the P & D plans require longer midweek runs than I can fit in after work - which was why I've never really gone for them

• Ksue: mont st michel Sundayimage.

oo: garmin is working and also communicating computer.  

Am beginning to feel I need to run - 6 miler tomorrow - nothing too strenuous, then having massage.  I don't like this tapering malarkyimage

• Yahoo! Exercise again after a  7 day lay off. 12k bike time trial with the tri club. Only 3 of us turned up, probably due to the weather, which was horrendous. 3 degrees, really windy, hail storm. And I had my shorts on! 10k run planned for tomorrow.

• Damn... Is it the Mont St Michel marathon on Sunday ? 

We are over there this weekend, and were going to vist MsM Sunday 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Princess, I ran 3 times in the week before VLM. My Sunday run the week before was 12 miles, then I ran 8, 6 and 4 on Monday Tuesday Wednesday all at a steady pace. No prob to run if you don't overdo it and leave 2-3 days after.

• Back on the tready for intervals this evening - I've quite missed themimage.

For the sub-4 crew, I definitely reckon it's the speed work that makes the difference. Loooong intervals (for P&D that's never less than 600m and up to 1,600m), or longer runs with sizeable chunks at 10k or half marathon pace. I'm with Kaz on this - if I can do it, you lot can.   My other tip (and this applies to all race goals) is to write your target down and put it somewhere you can't avoid seeing it. I had mine on the lock screen of my phone, both for Amsterdam and Paris, but the fridge door or a Post It on the bathroom mirror would do. No escaping, and it burrows into your subconscious image.    PF - (and DTES) I've checked the weather for Mont St Michel on Sunday, and, fingers crossed, rather than a freakish heat wave, it looks like 12 degrees.   Oh, and list fairy - can you add me to IoM marathon as well. Ta.
  • RR - I wish I felt the same about the intervals.......mine were outside in howling gale thou!! Short ones tonight which, hopefully given time, I will manage  to increase the duration of until looooooooooong intervals!! image I know what I want re goal but maybe to ambitious..........time will tell on that too!!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Bizarrely I somehow mind the long intervals easier to deal with - maybe it's because there are fewer of them, or maybe I just settle into the pace better over a long distance.  Or maybe I'm just odd.

• image too many kind words YM. A plan is just a fiction until someone turns it into sweat.

If you want to be fast, you have to be prepared to run your heart rate up very close to it's maximum... and frankly, it hurts and requires tremendous commitment.  And after those super stressful runs, you need to go easy easy easy.

RS - thanks for correcting me on the Smurfs. I was wrong but now I'm wiser. image

Top lass KeyserSuze. I think there's a fair few here who've given up ciggies if you want some advice.

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Yeah.... Did my first Tri of the season yesterday... So much nicer than a marathon, the pain is all over in 1hr 24 minutes

Fastest IronMan I've ever heard of. Wow Dave!!!! image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

image too many kind words YM. A plan is just a fiction until someone turns it into sweat.

I knew you'd say that.  I can go to bed with a glow of smug self satisfaction now  image

I like to think I don't massively understate my ability any more.  I rather hope I don't overstate it either...Cardiff will be the test of that image

• Told you I was quick in the water 

• Simon - apparently 6.9 litre Merc driven by the director, overdubbed with a Ferrari's engine noise. 

Simply stunning. 

• TD, Jimbob needs to find another gearimage

• Ok, so I have a foam roller.

Where can I get an OROD? 

YM and Danni are recommending it highly...

• Sorry.

Ignore the OROD-related questions - TJB sorted me out with an answer on the 'book.

'Tis done.

And now, I shall retire and dream of pain solutions. In orange. Obviously.

• I am  in PAIN.......not bad pain just the kind that lets you know you've worked hard. But for today can I please relocate to a bungalow!!

Hopefully a run later will ease it.image