Bike Shop Recommendations

I'm after one of those road bike thingies. 

Only I'm having trouble finding one.

I've been to Evans in Nottingham today and went to JE James at Chesterfield yesterday and neither have anything in my size image. I find this odd as I'm 5ft 7 not 10ft 7, but apparently they're low on stock whilst they're waiting for the 2013 models to start arriving over the next couple of months.

I can't just order one online cos I haven't ridden a road back since I was approximately 12 years of age, hence don't really know the exact size I need and my bike knowledge is also severely lacking.

I live in Derbyshire and work in Nottingham. Can any of you nice people recommend any other bike shops I can try?

Thanking you image

Comments

• How soon do you need one?

They are right in as much as they will be waiting for the new stock to come in but they will also look to sell some of the older models on
    If you find the correct size on line from the same company then ask them to get it in store for you
    Doesnt sound like they were eager for a sale?

• Give Royles in Wilmslow a ring and see what they have of the shelves
  • I don't need one straight away. I need to be able to ride 14 miles next May without embarrassing myself...I'm just being impatient image

The lady at Evans was very helpful and looked at stock at their other stores, but nothing in my size unless I wanted a really basic one or to spend a couple of grand (which would mean divorce). Even she was surprised at how few they had.

• Sorry x-post....thanks Dave

• No probs. graham and matt have built both my race bikes and do a great job of looking after them. I know they aren't close but they are open at the weekends
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

There are loads of shops in Derbys and Notts Saff but ones I'd recommend are few on the ground - most are OK if you know what you are looking for in that they'll sell you it but assuming you want some guidance on what to buy then there aren't so many.

In Nottm one I haven't used but who I have heard good things about is Langdale Lightweights.    
    The guy who runs Buzz Cycles in Belper should know his stuff - never been in the shop but he's a good rider who should at least have the knowledge to assist you.
    Stanley Fearns in Matlock are a long established shop and quite local to you I think?  
    In Derby Samways have quite a lot of stock - I wouldn't trust their advice necessarily but if you are going in let me know if you want someone to come along with you as it's local.   There are a few others in Derby too but nothing worth travelling for.   
    If you are into paying for an expensive bike fit then there's a place in Derby (just moved from Langley Mill) who do the full Retul fit thing - and another place in Barton Under Needlewood is run by a well known ex pro and ex soigneur who has a very good reputation for bike fitting - though I've never bothered with a bike fit and I'm not convinced they are necessary.

• Thanks Popsy........and thanks very much for the offer of the Samways visit!

I'd completely forgotten about Stanley Fearns - doh!! You're right they aren't far from me at all and they've been around even longer than I have image I think I'll pop and see them tomorrow, but I'll let you know if I need any help in Derby.

Thanks again image
  • There are a couple of relatively new bike shops on Chatswiorth Road in Chesterfield. Igloo Bikes at 416 Chatsworth Road, near Morrisons and Pelican Cycles at 1 Old Road.

The shops are quite small, but both struck me as being really freindly & happy to help!

• saffy I got mine here:

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/Location/StoreDetail?storeId=22

when I went in they didn't actually have anything in stock but they can order bikes in for you to try with no commitment (they took a £50 deposit to make sure I turned up I think which I can understand but there honestly was no commitment to buy). They were very good and did things like putting the cleats on the shoes, even went so far as to put the bottle holders on the bike for me. Very helpful and knowledgeable guys in there. If you are going at the weekend go fairly early as they get busy.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

If you go to Leisure Lakes you may as well visit Tris at Long Eaton Cycle Centre at the same time as it's quite near.  And if you visit Stanley Fearns there's Zepnat in Matlock now too.  There's also Halfords for Boardman bikes which are very popular at the moment.

As it's local(ish) if anyone is interested we are planning a bike coaching session at Darley Moor race track on Wednesday 5th Sept in the evening - probably about 6.30 - just focusing on riding in a group - cost should be a couple of pounds if anyone is interested.   Be about 90 minutes split between a coached session and then a training session on the track. 

• Saffy You might find it better to get a bike fitting and then go on e-bay depending on your budgit. Popster will have every bike shop thats good local to you in his earlier post but if you don't have any luck I know a couple of shops up here that can help you.

• TFN in Nottingham are brilliant, great service and friendly understanding staff.  I bought my first road bike (and all beginners kit) from there, also bought my new wetsuit there.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I had trouble finding a bike too - I had a rough idea of what I wanted, but wanted to try some out.  I appreciate that shops can't hold stock of every bike in every size, but it was hard to find anything to try!

Evans got one in for me, for a £50 deposit (which was refundable if I chose not to go ahead).

I did buy it, but if you have alternative shops I'd look at them.  Evans staff have not proved very knowledgable post-purchase (or pre-purchase, come to that!).

• Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.......I am a bike numpty image

• Ooh just looked and TFN are just round the corner.....I'm at Nottingham Uni. Guess where I'm going in a little while? image

• In the end it all comes down to colour anyway image

• bos1 wrote (see)

In the end it all comes down to colour anyway image

Hahaha......don't know what you mean image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

A choice of colour..... now there's an idea!

• Red ones are always faster - fact!  image

• saffy - I have been to TFN a couple of times - the guys in there are great are very helpful. They do price match to the internet too - so maybe look at the kind of prices wiggle offer on the bikes that TFN do and ask them to price match - they did it when I got a wetsuit no problem. It is not far from the sainsbury's carpark

• I'd be interested to hear what you end up with - I'm in a similar situation - I need to be able to get round 40k by next July, in one piece, without creating a major obstacle to others. I'm about the same height and I was also about to visit Evans.
  • Well I went to TFN and they were lovely image

Made me a coffee whilst they told me about basic bike stuff to reduce my numptiness and set up a turbo so I could have a pedal in the shop. Then I popped down the road and did a few spins round Sainsbury's car park to try out my favourite one.

So..........I HAVE A BIKE imageimageimage      (well I don't actually have it yet....I've paid for it and am collecting it tomorrow with Mr Saffy and the bike rack!)

They knocked me £70 off and also threw in a helmet.

Running Rodent, I ended up going for a Giant Avail, which is a women specific one.

Rafiki wrote (see)

Red ones are always faster - fact!  image

OMG I boght a white one image

p.s. I've called her Betty image

• saffy - brilliant!! Oh, wish I had got mine there, although I like mine anyway. Should be nice weather tomorrow for you to have a little spin as wellimage

you'll be signing up for outlaw before you know it

• I need a name for my bike....

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Ooo nice.    Wondering if I can afford a new bike for next year at the moment - just bought a new (not brand new) car so might have to keep the current one another year.  So when's the forum Derbyshire bike ride then ?

• Hee hee  I think i need a bit of practice first so as not to embarrass myself image. I'm crrently surfing the Internet looking for pretty accessories for Betty image

• I have an Avail - I lurrrrve my bike!! Had a bike fit this week and live it even more now. Will you put aero bars on?
  • Ooh I hadn't thought about aero bars. It's my first road bike, so I think I need to get some confidence on it first. Are you getting some?