A pirate outing to Northern France in 2013, August Bank Holiday

Comments

• the date has changed on this event again - back to the Bank Holiday weekend - hoorah!!  it's now on Sunday 25th.    reason being is so it doesn't clash with Challenge Vichy which has been moved to 1st September due to heat issues having it earlier.

and entries are now open - https://www.njuko.com/chtriman-gravelines/register.

we had a quick look at the venue as we drove past on the autoroute last week - looks good and very easy to get to from Calais.   the rowing lake has a huge bank on the western side to reduce prevailing winds causing havoc for rowers

so - who's in??? image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I have questions....

"Permission slip"  - is this a med cert (hooky doctor's letter)?

"license FFTRI or ITU" - I need this even if I'm doing only one leg, not a whole triathlon?

"How many people are going to move this wek-end?"  image

• you'll only need a medcert (permission slip) if you don't have BTF registration. and seeing as BTF membership is probably less than paying for a "proper" medcert (although most people forge them for nowt), then get registered.  and yes - if you're doing a relay leg the same applies.

as for "how many people are moving this wek-end" - probably means how many are in your party for the weekend (supporters)

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I have a genuine doctor's letter.  It's only the date on it that isn't genuine image

• so have I - a genuine RW doctor at that.  I keep it as back up in case I do a running event in France...  image

• Arse ... I changed my leave when the dates changed

• LOL!  you'll have to change back then.....image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

It's the damn' French Meldy - they just want to keep you out!

• FB I suspect someone has jumped on the BH weekend as soon as I cancelled it

• Them damn French eh Wilkie!!

• I already entered Vichy, so that's that.

• Unfortunately ill be starting the Amiens to Paris leg of our London Paris cycle trip.

I did fancy this and hadn't realised they moved the dates. Good job or I'd be miffed.
  • Has anyone actually entered this?  Am I the only one? image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

kerboing

was talking to Dermot at Dambuster about this and it's about time people committed as entries are still open

we are going to do the sprint now, not the middle as Petal has qualified for The GB squad for the World Champs in Hyde Park on 15/9 and we think a middle for her leaves too short a recovery time and I can't be arsed.....image  seriously, I will be helping P train for the Worlds so I won't be "match fit" for a middle distance event (and I don't like blagging these things) so will do the sprint as well.

who else is in??

• Well done to Petal. How did you fare?

Is the sprint 12€? I wonder if I could do a day trip from my parents in Kent? We're on a spending crackdown, so it really depends on whether I can blag a crossing, and whether I'm run fit by then. Swim fit will never happen. image

• Love to but will be out of commission for a while. Look forward to race report though including travel/accommodation arrangements.

• Cat, the sprint is $18; the $12 is the supersprint on the saturday. Sprint goes up to $20 after 30/6

I am nowhere near fit enough to do the middle but might just manage the sprint image

I think you mean € not $ Trogs...  image

but even then €18 for a sprint is a bargain compared to the prices you pay in the UK

Cat - I went OK but found the ride tougher than expected due to the wind and had little left in the legs for the run.  10th in a/g - within 115% of winner - shame that there were 9 buggers between me and him so no GB place (which I wasn't expecting anyway so no deal).  and run fit for a sprint?  for you a 5k is a piece of piss mate

• fat buddha wrote (see)

I think you mean € not $ Trogs...  image

but even then €18 for a sprint is a bargain compared to the prices you pay in the UK

Cat - I went OK but found the ride tougher than expected due to the wind and had little left in the legs for the run.  10th in a/g - within 115% of winner - shame that there were 9 buggers between me and him so no GB place (which I wasn't expecting anyway so no deal).  and run fit for a sprint?  for you a 5k is a piece of piss mate

Maybe a roll down? I thought it wa 7 places per AG this year?

I have a bad achilles at the mo, actually since mid Feb, but now I can rest up and get it sorted.

rolldown is doubtful  - 5 qualifier places per event (x3) although 25 per age group (as hosts we get more than the usual 18).

that leaves 10 places for pre-qualifiers, discretionary, and roll down.  if you look across event results there are guys consistently quicker than me who would be first dibs for rolldown places so I don't expect the call

wasn't aware you were injured - but plenty of time to get it sorted for Ch'triman. could be a good test for it??

rolldown is doubtful  - 5 qualifier places at Deva and Dambuster, with 7 from Liverpool (Nat Champs)  and 25 per age group (as hosts we get more than the usual 18).

that leaves 8 places for pre-qualifiers, discretionary, and roll down.  if you look across event results there are guys consistently quicker than me who would be first dibs for rolldown places so I don't expect the call

wasn't aware you were injured - but plenty of time to get it sorted for Ch'triman. could be a good test for it??

ignore 1st of those 2 posts - edit went wrong!

• jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭

Good morning

As this will be my first tri I've got a couple of questions.  Does the cut off time for the swim include the transition time for the bike or does that come out of the bike time.  Same question for the run.  Is it worth my reading up on the rules and if so where can I find them?  Please.  Thank you. image

• FB/Cat. Just out of curiosity, what is the qualification for a GB place on say a Sprint time (400/21K/5K)? Or is it within X% of the winner? How does it work?

I wondered how hard you guys are pushing and how much of it is down to structured training/naturally gifted/whatever

• For all distances you need to be within 115pc of your AG winner for the worlds and 120pc for euros. Then you need to be within X places for most events, or discretionary for some longer distances. 

I think it is mainly the ability to hurt built on top of training. If you're naturally gifted then even better. 

DB - to qualify, you need to be within 115% of the winning age group time for World Champs (120% for European) and be placed within the 1st 5 positions (that nummber can vary depending on event).  the winning time itself doesn't matter - it's position that counts.

if you're not top 5 then you may get in on rolldown but still need to be within that overall % to qualify - outside you won't.

JB - swim cut off time is from start of swim to exiting water into T1.  bike cut off time is to entry into T2 (overall time from start).  same for run - overall time at finish - is only usually applied in a Championship event/Ironman etc where there is a published cut-off time.

you can download BTF rules from here plus the recent updates (all minor stuff) - http://www.britishtriathlon.org/take-part/events/british-champs/rules-and-eligibility - click on the links

but remember, Ch'triman will be run under French tri rules so there maybe some slight differences

• jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭

Thanks FB, perhaps I'd better have a read up.  Btw, I went with the T2+ bars in the end. 

• I'd forgotten about this event due to my plan for a sabbatical year from Long Distance Tri,  however as I'm travelling back from Central France that weekend I could be very close to the venue.   Will check with 'er indoors to see if ferry booking has been made already but would be good to have an event in the diary to reacquaint me with this swimming lark.image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Dustboy wrote (see)

Love to but will be out of commission for a while. Look forward to race report though including travel/accommodation arrangements.

Since Dusty's blown me out, is anyone else interested in a relay leg or two?  I don't swim, but I could be pursuaded to do a bike leg of the half distance (but be warned that I am NOT fast).