Saturday 18th August 2012

2»

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

RFJ: well done today...and an even bigger well done to Jnr!

Did anyone else race parkrun today?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • It's turned out sunny and warm up here from about mid-day.

• ale: To be honest I'd never heard of Laurie Reilly. But will try to check .

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Birks: found this..just checked and it is still a world age best.

Age 15 31:19.8 Laurie Reilly (7.08.54) Jul 1970 Glasgow (S)

He was a particular rival, friend and contemporary of Jim Brown.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Evening all.  A cracking 31 C here today, but unfortunately stuck inside all day building a wardrobe.  Frustrating, mostly coz we were meant to be building 2, and then it turned out that IKEA had delivered 2 boxes out of 3...sigh.

What: nothing
    Why: see above!

Hello NZC  good to have you back image

Trip to lake planned tomorrow, hopefully there'll be some swimming too!  Meant to be 36C!!!

Have a good evening all.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

I dont need to post as Ale has been stalking me again...image

Jnr 1st in 18:38 and me in 5th in 19:41, was a pleasure to see Jnr take the win as I entered the field image

I also did 4.25m of other running and 4m on the x trainer as well.

Need to get out the door early tomorrow to beat the heat...........

Long live the DTT.... esp at the hours you guys were posting at this morning....image

• ale: Cheers for info mate.. That is some time for a 15 year old. Peter Fleming was another good Scottish distance runner of  1980s.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Birks: The most amusing tale about Laurie Reilly was when Ian Stewart ran 45.13 for a world best 10 mile road race (and it was accurately re-measured afterwards).  Laurie was second (by around 2 minutes) and thought he had won: he really couldn't believe that someone was so far ahead of him. He had seen someone shoot off at the start but he just thought it was someone being stupid and had dropped out. I will see if I can check with him and find out his time. This mentions the world record:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/asportingnation/article/0027/print.shtml

RFJ: proud dad! Hope Junior was pleased!

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    I was due to take part in the Worthing Birdman 2km sea swim, but it's been cancelled image

Birkmyre, I felt remarkably ok after the swim. But I try to have less hangovers these days.

RFJ, that sounds like a great day of competition.
  • RFJ great result with Junior winning the race. Very special.
    Reminiscences? I remember skinny Liz McColgan on the telly, but that's all.
    Snap, Ah the Worthing Birdman competition is something that I dream about from time to time, primarily the way in which Gossamer managed to actually fly under human power.

er, no training here today. I predicted none, hence the big bike ride a few days ago. I did clean the bike today though.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

just about squeeze in today (having watched Motd)
    some great memories prompted from teh names listed the last day or so
    well done RFJ & jnr
    good that nothing broken Alex, and have a lovely break chicka...
    everyone else staying up tonight too????image

what - 12.3 miles at 7am this morning with a friend of mine. Nice easy run, but was still too hot and dont think ive stoped sweating since...
    why - long(ish) run needed

enjoy the rest of the weekend!