Options

Full Ironman in UK next year?

With the reports of rampant, blatant and widespread drafting at IMUK last weekend, do you think that the possibility of the Full IM next year has diminished? They are VERY precise about standards, you know...

Comments

• Options
    Jonathon...it's all your fault...

;-)
  • Options
    Personally I want to do a full Uk IM in 2005, so it would suit me fine! It'd be nice to do the 1st one!
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    I quite like doing a touch of draftign every now and then. But wouldnt want to risk getting dq'd so I wouldnt do it in a big, well organised race.

If they have motorbikes then definite no-no.

Looking forward to seeing pantman get down to business. London a-g next year first mate ;o)
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options
    The race i did at the weekend had motorbike draft busters and they were BTA officals at that

• Options
    Ya cheat Daz ! But you say you are happy to do so when you won't get caught ? Hmmm.

I wouldn't be happy with that if I knew I'd had an unfair advantage. I've never drafted in any Time Trial or Duathlon I've done.
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    i can try the half next year, but couldn't do the full, so i hope they keep it for one year more, amd then change to full.
  • Options
    I'm with you Cougie on the drafting issue.

In terms of whether it will go full next year or not, I think the bigger problem was the start delay. Obviously it was unavoidable, but delaying the start by an hour and a half is not really an option in the full event when the cut off time even with a 7am start is 11pm.

One of the reasons they moved it from Llanberis was to try and get better weather and sods law it was a foggy morning on what was otherwise perfect conditions.
  • Options
    Here in Germany they use motorbike marshals at almost every race, even sprints, and the rules are strictly enforced. First drafting offence is a yellow card, 2nd is a red (just like in football) and you're DQ. It's not a problem for me - I'm not fast enough to draft! Oy!
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    coug,
    i dont draft in races that state you are not allowed to ie 99.9% of them. only time ive drafted is with mate when training, in corp games 2002 when it was allowed, and in races where you are so bunched up you have no choice but to stay on your side of the road behind someone else....unless you want to drop back 50m!

ive never done in an event and never been cautioned ....so there!

rich will back me up as we were around each other for a couple of miles. right rich?
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    other reason they moved was because the locals in llanberis were not happy with the road closures. miserable buggers!
  • Options
    Hmmm - not quite what you wrote before...

But ho hum. You should try two up Time trials. They usually start the season off. That's quite good fun, and works even if one of you is a bit fitter than the other.

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    i admit i love drafting, but like you say, id feel guilty at the end of the day if i was one of a few that did it and didnt get caught. i like a fair comp..
  • Options
    Hi Daz, nothing to do with this thread but you've got mail.
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    gotcha
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    If anyone's not yet fed up with my clueless questioning: can someone tell me how you can AVOID drafting if you're in a huge group?
  • Options
    when I marshalled at the London Tri I had some good chats with one of the motorbike drafting marshalls. his view was quite clear - there is no way you can stop drafting when you have big groups. what he was more concerned with was collusion between one or more riders to ride in a bunch and help each other out. so he would be keep a beady eye on groups of riders over a stretch of road and if he felt they were not colluding, would do nothing. he did penalise a couple of guys he said were deliberately helping each other.
  • Options
    Unfortunately on Sunday with the mass swim start it was impossible not to draft especially in the groups around 2:30-2:40. The motorbikes ended up being part of the pelotons, they would have to seriously think about this for next year or avoid the mass start.
  • Options
    What exactly is the drafting regulation ? Daz mentioned summat like 50 metres behind ?? I can't see much advantage if you are a bike length behind.
  • Options
    Its 10metres behind or to the side of the rider in front, if you wnat to overtake you have to do so within a time frame of 30secs.
  • Options
    10 metres behind or 3 metres to the side. If you can't overtake you have to drop back.