IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Comments

• I'm 141, its a 4 sandwich!

Feeling guilty cos i'm not feeling too knackered....but then i know what i have planned for myself next 6 days!!!!

Meet up at the Pasta Party sounds good, no food fights though!

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Sue - that's a serious Big Weekend! How did the marathon go? If the weather was anything like we had here, you must have been quite warm!

• will check out the pasta party tickets, we are driving up on Friday and staying in Bury, about 6 miles from Bolton. Would be good to see you all before the big day though as we would probably be looking human, after Sunday we shall be meer wrecks of humanity!!!.

Sue that is just amazing training on your part well done

• The weather was more overcast so perfect conditions.  I did 4.45 which I was pleased with as the course was advertised as undulating but then in the briefing that was changed to hilly.

Great low key, friendly event though with goody bag, technical t-shirt and medal thrown in.  Really enjoyed the soak in the bath yesterday!!

• Thanks Bones - I've no speed but feel as if I'm getting the endurance.

• Sounds like everyone has had some decent training this weekend– well done! 

I managed to get to Pennington Flash on Saturday morning for a 4k swim then got out on the bike for a decent session on Sunday morning, but just looking at the training plan for the week ahead – it looks busy!

I’m number 1075! 

I’ve not given much thought to attending the Pasta Party, but would be happy to go along to meet up with everyone ( I suppose I’m lucky in that I don’t live to far from Bolton)

Keep up the good work

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Great going Sue - work hard on that recovery now image!

• As Joddly says Sue recover well before carrying on with anymore heavy duty training.

Im number 1390

Just printed the race instructions off. Do we really have to remember all that as well as do the training!!!image

• Race instructions are comprehensive!! I hadn't realised there's a feedstation area on the run where someone can hand you stuff (e.g. food/drink) and it's not counted as outside assistance.

I've booked for the 4:20am bus from the Reebok on race day.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

I'm going for the 4:40 - planning on a bit of a lie-in!

I couldn't find anywhere in the instructions what happens to the blue bag - does it get taken back to T2 (where we collect our red bag and bike), or to the finish? If it's the latter that might be better as I wasn't planning on getting my bike back until Monday morning, but I wouldn't mind getting my wetsuit rinsed and hung up on Sunday.

Also, I'd really like to use my Garmin for controlling my early pace on the run, but in the past have had problems getting the signal locked on after being indoors for T2. Does anyone know a solution? I was wondering about starting it up on the dismount line, putting it down somewhere, and picking it up at the run start but I'm not sure that will be logistically possible....

• Got my 2.5 mile swim done in 1:05 on Monday, pretty happy about that.

Joddly, I went to watch the IM last year and theres a bit of a walk from the school hall to the run start, so if you're planning on getting some early nutrition like myself I would stick the watch on to sync as soon as you get your kit on and walk down to the start where it will hopefully be ready to go (cloud dependent of course).

Sounds like everyone is putting in some good training at the moment. Some of the ideas seem a little extreme this close to race day i.e. +1hr run after long bike or marathon the day after long bike. 

I've decided to try and play the smart game for the final 6-week, 1 long session of each discipline a week at race pace, a medium distance brick and lots of recovery between sessions. 

I have always been taught that there are two type of fatigue (correct me if i'm wrong) associated with this training and basically if you push too hard during recovery you prevent your muscles from recovering and therefore don't get the long-term benefits, but if you train to and through fatigue and recover correctly (i.e. fitting a few races into training plan) your body will adapt better and quicker. I should really learn the names for each (possibly Chronic and Acute?).

Just a theory, but one shared by many people. The further you push your body the longer it takes to recover, which is why so many of us have had bad times and injuries over the past few months, because we're trying to do something that you should train for years to be able to do.

That said, I'm resting from my long bike yesterday with a light run tonight (45 mins).

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Great swim time, SR, good tip about the run start, and some sensible thinking about training.

I suspect how we respond to training loads is a bit individual, and depends on both physical and metal factors. I think it's really important to listen to your body, but sometimes you need to override what it's saying!

I've just done my third OW 3.8k race, and this time there were at least 3 people behind me, and another couple of minutes off my time (though still over 1:20), so I'm happy.

Bones - for some reason I had you down as a bloke, but I think that number probably puts you into the 40+ wimmin's category, unless I'm over-interpreting the numbering?

• Joddly

I have just checked and yep im a bloke, all intack and working, may not be after after race day, but I am at the momentimage

• Ok, rechecked and i'm 142 not 141, good job i had another look before i filled in my form!

Some good stff there jo sr.  I'm just leaving my garmin on and gonna try and remember to press the lap button for transitions.  It makes lots of beeps when i'm swimming, but seems to come up with the goods.

Had an 88 mile jaunt yesterday with a little 3 mile run after.  Rode across the moors with some tough hills so reasonably happy though i am slightly worried about my pace.  I think i'm gonna be about 13/14 mph race day so bit worried.

Still need to do a swim over 1.5 miles, hopefully crack that out friday night.

Form done!

• I did a Functional Threshold Power test last night.  The first one since 5th March and the last before raceday. 

5th March - 20 minute averages were 219W Power and 173bpm HR

3rd July - 20 min averages were 274W and 173bpm.

So in 4 months of training, my 20min average has gone up 55Watts!!  Makes all the training worth it!!

It also ups the threshold I can work at on the bike on race day - I'm aiming for 75% effort, capping max power at 88%.  So the increase in FTP means I can spend more Watts and work harder on the climbs.

Things are coming together for race day and my big training week next week.

• Timmy G - What bike time are you aiming for ?
  • Great going Timmy, its nice when you can actually see the steps made in fitness levels like that.  i think if i had the time again i wish i had embraced the Power guaging side of things, seems really useful.

Brilliant swim time SR, great stuff.

• Stephen - between 6 and 7 hours depending on how steady I take it.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Brilliant progress Timmy - you must have worked hard for that. I hope your gadgets work on the day this time!

Bones - I'm rather relieved my instincts were right, as your posts are maybe a bit, well macho, for a woman!!

I seem to be having a day off training today - it's rather pleasant...image

• Joddly,image (in a deep gruff voice) I have also had a day of training today and guess what, I am going to do the same tomorrow, shock horror, what will I do!!!!!!!.

Reason being is that on Saturday am going to do 100 miles on the bike with a 2.5 mile lake swim thrown in somewhere along the line then a bit of a run off. Sunday shall then be an 18 mile run. So im looking at it as 2 days off and 2 days on. the weather down here is set to be 27 degrees on both days so im sure my fluid intake shall rise!

I wouldnt say its pleasant having a day off training as I have had to commute by train and thats not the best in London. Still I have stocked up on my gels, bars and beetroot juice on various special offers in town for the big day.

Well done Timmy on those figure, a great improvement, I hope your feeling good about yourself

Now then as you have all read they shall be playing the National Athhem as we enter the water on race day, do we have to stay standing or can we swim to itimage.?

4 weeks today at this time we should all be on the final sections of the run, sorry, WE WILL all be on the final sections of our run and feeling very proud of ourselves to.

• pretty happy tonight, first 2 mile swim, felt good had quite a few jelly fish for company (only a couple of stings for me, my mate got stung right on his face, the decision to crack on regardless of the little blighters was taken and on we went!) and it was pretty bloomin cold!  But glad to get that one under the belt (if a bit late!).

• Wife got made redundant today, so that's a bit of sh#t....looking at positives and options.   She's a tough cookie so we'll sort something.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, 2 more biggies left!

......and come on Murray!!

• TT im really sory about your wife, you must both feel really low, what line of work was she in?

This weekend

Me 102 miles on the bike 6hr 31 mins with a 2.5 mile lake swim thrown  in the middle. FInished off wth a 5 mile run off.

Yesterday I went out for my long run at 1pm to hit the heat and get used to it, left at 1pm and did 18 miles in 2hr 31mins, it was tough going and ran out of fluid towards the end. Had my phone in my back pocket of my shorts and was soo hot as soon as i got in i sat in the kids paddling pool. Bye Bye phoneimage.

How did we all do?

• Did a long bike, puncture fairy visited 3 times in the last 15 miles and left me tubeless, co2 less and stranded half way on my 3rd time up SHL, so I walked to the top and phoned for help...great ride though, although someone turned the temp up on the 3rd lap...96 miles and a mile walk

• Good training Bones and Chris - nice one with the phone.

Saturday had a four hour bike then a two hour run later on.  Aimed for a century ride on the Sunday but thanks to someone who had trimmed their hedges and left the contents in the road, I got a double puncture early on and only had one spare with me, so came back, went for a run, then watched Andy Murray win at a bbq.

Booked tomorrow off so I can get my century in.

• Cheers Bones, she was accounts admin, really enjoyed it.  Bit sad this morning as the normal routine was gone.  She does it a bit of gardening for people so that will keep her busyish.

Good thginking getting out in the heat.  i was out early saturday at 5am 11 degrees (like winter!) and 7am yesterday 18 degrees (summer!).

Didnt run as far as wanted as mates knees playing up, but out for 2 and a half hours so not bad.

We was paddling pool as well ....and tv outside for the tennis was a great summers day! 

• Good luck to the misses on finding a new job TT but tbh she's probably better off with gardening in this weather image

Ist and last biggie for me yesterday 99 mile on the bike:- ride to penny flash, link to loop, 2 loops, Sheephouse for 3rd time then back home from the Black Dog at Belmont 6:44

Then 5.5 miles covering most of the run loop 48 mins

I thought it would be useful to you guys to see the loop altitude and was going to post a link to my run, but because of the trees and buildings the trace is all over the place image. Basically it's more or less all down hill into the town turn point then all up hill to the turn point at the other end. I plotted this last year which gives you a better idea. It's not an easy loop and would be worth finding somewhere that replicates it to practice on.

Tip of the day:-

Don't forget You do the uphill stretch of Babylon Lane 4 times (which I hate) for that reason I don't allow myself to believe I have started the loop, until I get to the bottom of Sheephouse Lane at Rivington village.

• Bones - put your phone in a bowl of rice, it will soak up all the water and you should be able to use it again.

• I've been thinking about this, so as I live local to the IMUK bike route if anyone fancies a trip round the bike loop, chauffuer driven on the Friday(2nd August) prior to the IM then let me know, I am going to drive the route anyway to check any recent road repairs etc but if anyone wants some local knowledge of where the bad road surfaces are, large potholes etc then let me know, I can fit 3 in the car

Chris

• Sorry to hear about the misses TT and hopefully she'll get something sorted soon.

Sounds like everyone had a good weekend with training - well done!

I've had a fairly mixed with training - started the week off well, then managed to pick up a virus, which laid me low for a couple of days with a high temperature/sickness.  Fortunately, got back on track with training towards the end of the week and I managed to get 3 loops of the IM bike course on Sunday.

Happy to get 3 loops completed and also managed to get my nutrition spot on as well. 

Keep up the good training everyone and not long to go now!