IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Comments

• Brilliant reports from both flyaway and Chris. So exciting for you to get a kona place image

• Wonderful report Flyers! SO pleased for you x image

• Awesome race and report and it was a pleasure to watch and shout x

• Does anyone know how Sumo Sue got on? I ran with her for a while and had a good chat

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Flyaway ... great race report image   Well done you. image

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hello, team! 

Great reports Chris and Flyaway. I'm afraid I'm not good at writing entertaining reports, but mine might contain some useful titbits for anyone planning a go next year.

So, first the preamble. I’ve been doing triathlons for nearly four years now, and there’d been a fairly steady progression from completing (Outlaw 2010), through completing a tough one (Wales 2011), to competing in a tough one (Wales 2012, 3rd AG). So the natural next step, what with turning 50 this year, was to go for The Big One. I knew there would never be any certainty, with only one Kona slot in my AG, so I just had to try to get myself in the best shape possible to go for the win, and I’ve spent pretty much the last 12 months doing that. The result was that by last week I was a nervous wreck, really feeling the pressure that I’d put on myself. Last year sub 13 hours would have won my AG but I knew things were likely to be tougher this time.

It had been fantastic having the company of the Bonkers thread during the build-up – so much support and encouragement, but without judgement. I don’t think I openly admitted my Kona dream– a few knew, and some worked it out. I could have killed Mrs Funkin, though, when she started making very clear references to the Kona slot awards! It felt good to know that Funkin and Flyaway were also up for slots, and actually it did feel as if we all had a decent chance.

So, I arrived in Bolton very anxious but with solid training, some decent results, and a good taper under my belt. We stayed at the hotel right in the stadium complex, all part of my (expensive) plan to minimise last-minute hassle, and it did work well. I’d even booked with Nirvana who took care of some of the transfers, and although in hindsight we could easily have managed on our own, I was glad not to have to worry about them. My biggest last-minute worry was the increasingly wet-looking weather forecast which looked like it would cause trouble for the second half of the bike.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Friday

Arrived, registered, and shot off to Pennington Flash to fit in a swim practice in time to return for the race briefing. Met the Funkins and the Flyaways quite by chance, had a good chat, and wondered if that was an omen image.  Managed to fit in 2 practice laps (6-700m each) which went OK though it was surprisingly choppy. Back in time for the briefing,  20min easy run with Mr J. Pasta party rather OTT but some awesome drumming. Pretty poor night’s sleep.

Saturday

Awake early and 5 mile bike check ride done from the hotel – bit of a ?BB noise but otherwise OK. Bike went to T1 in a truck, and Mr J and I drove over for another (single lap) swim practice – OK again, still a bit choppy, but a good temperature. Final v short bike check, including a reassuring visit to the SRAM guys, then racking and checking in T1 bag. Got informed by a fellow competitor the name of the woman who was apparently going to win our AG. Told her (untruthfullyimage) I was hoping for 12:30 and went off to check credentials of said winner – was slightly reassured to see she was 30 mins behind me in Wales last year.

Then off to T2 – slightly shocked to see no racking, just rows of bags on the floor, but friendly, capable crew so should be OK. Another very short run. Pasta, chicken, final sorting. Pretty much no sleep.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Race Day

Relieved to be able to get up, at 3:30. Dressed and breakfast (porridge, tea), said goodbye to Mr J then boarded bus – in the drizzle – to Pennington. Banana and water on the bus, and it was still drizzling when we arrived. Relieved to find bike and tyres OK – One bottle of drink between aero bars (secured with some tape because of speed bumps on the sliproad out), Garmin switched on. Wettie on, half a Powerbar, felt surprisingly calm (me, and the lake I suppose). Stayed near the front until we were allowed in the lake, then hung back to let people go in front – then looked around and realised that no-one else wanted to be near the front either!

Swim

The plan was to take this steady and avoid biff, and it soon felt as though most people had the same idea. My biggest risk was having a panic attack, so I kept it easy to start, and soon settled. There wasn’t much biff at all. I had my orange Garmin under my hat, as I do in training, and the distance and time alarms were keeping level, meaning I was doing a decent steady pace and this reassured me. The clock at halfway said 38 minutes and this also gave me confidence. Second lap was easier.

Swim time       1:20:02 – couldn’t have expected better than this, so on into T1 feeling good.

T1

Garmin says the run distance for T1 was 0.33 miles. Kept transition as simple as possible – stand on towel, stuff puncture kit into left rear pocket (plus extra tube already taped under saddle), and 4 Powerbars into right pocket, helmet/visor on, number belt on, socks and shoes on, wettie in bag, bag to volunteer. Find bike easily, noting with slight surprise that there are still a fair few left near mine, jog beyond mount line and mutter at people who stop and faff on the line, then mount bike and I’m away.

T1 time            0:05:23

Bike

HRM readings a bit erratic but I think I was going a little too hard for the first 30-60 mins, but then settled. I had in mind that I’d like to get as far as possible before the rain started, but was also careful to cap my effort on the hills. I really rather enjoyed the bike especially each time I passed someone from my age group, and also each time I realised it still wasn’t raining. Ate all my Powerbars like a good girl, and even an extra half from an aid station, and took a bottle of energy drink at all but 2 or 3 stations. Surprisingly, the foot pain I usually get after 4 hours never came and I was more comfortable than I have ever been on the bike. Team SA were a brilliant and reliable lift at a point where I was always starting to flag, the Pirate group at the bottom of SHL, and of course Ironholgs’ COLT Alley were spot on in their support. I finally overtook the alleged AG winner at 97 miles and hoped that she’d been leading at that point, then pushed on steadily to T2. A bit of light drizzle started just as I came onto the last extra bit of loop – so thanks to the weather gods!

Bike time         6:13:15

T2

No dramas. Surprisingly large number of bags in there – wow! Sat on chair briefly to change socks and shoes. Helmet off, puncture kit out, gel and immodium in pocket, drank some water then off.

T2 time            0:02:49

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Run - a real race

Downhill start certainly makes for a nicer first few miles. I was planning an overall target pace of 8:45 min miles, but allowing for 8:15 on the downhill bit. Looking at my splits, the first 10k was about right, though at times it seemed a bit fast. Disappointed to hear at my planned 2 mile update point that I was still lying second, and 6 mins behind the lead. Ho hum, well, I know I can run, but can she....? Finally saw the AG leader once on the first turnaround of the looped section – but nobody’d told me about that awful hill up from the canal, so I wasn’t exactly flying at that point. So we spent the next 8 or 9 miles with me trotting along one or two minutes behind, wondering if I’d ever be able to catch her. I didn’t dare risk pushing harder in case I blew up, and continued to walk briefly at the aid stations to get some Coke down (my whole run was fuelled by Coke). I didn’t feel too bad at all though, with no major gut issues – just one dash into a portaloo at about 16 miles. Saw plenty of Pirates out on the run course, the least jolly ones being Funkin and Flyaway – all three of us had our best Race Faces on (= image). There was fantastic Pirate support popping up all around the course – thanks all!

At about 18 miles remembered I had planned to “run like Pete Jacobs”. So I found my form again, picked up the tempo a bit, and was soon gaining ground. I picked my moment, about 19 miles, and made the pass with the best form I could muster, and without looking back – at that stage I was heading towards town for the penultimate time. I didn’t know how I was doing from that point on until the final turnaround, when I could see I was probably several minutes ahead now. Still didn’t dare ease back, so kept race effort (and Pete Jacobs form!) right the way down to the line in the by now pouring rain, for my AG win and qualification slot. Amazing!

Run time         3:49:16

Overall time    11:30:42          11 mins ahead of second and 40 ahead of third

The postscript to this battle is that another slot rolled down into our AG at the awards, so Julie (second) also got her slot, which she certainly deserved. Or to look at it another way, we could both have jogged  home for the last hour!!!

So, Kona it is. Really looking forward to being out there with the Flyaways and Funkins. It’s still sinking in, and there’s a ridiculous amount of planning and expense to come, but for now I’m enjoying a week of rest, and must admit to feeling a lot of satisfaction  in a mission accomplished.... Bonkers!

• Chapeau Joddly, great report and Kona, fantastic

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

What a fantastic report, Joddly.  Thank you for sharing with us.  Well done for such a convincing triumph.  I'll look forward to stalking you at Kona.

• Joddly, what M..o.use said; only I'll be stalking from a little closer.  It was a pleasure to meet you and Mr J at the weekend.

Must thank Flyaway for planning a trip to Hawaii without me knowing....

• Brilliant report Joddly and amazing result. Coach Cox's race analysis was rightly impressed by your AG which "smashed their previous times"...

I am however sorry you could have killed me  image I actually was not thinking of just the 3 of you (in fact I wasn't thinking of Funkin at all as he had told me that he wasn't going to qualify to the point that I had a weekend away booked at his insistence), there were 3 of our Black Line pals racing for slots too - all of them were in with a serious chance, so that made the 5 of you I was madly crossing fingers for. I do apologise whole heartedly though if it caused you more anxiety. I really do, it wasn't my intention, I'm so so sorry.

Back to the congratulations though - what a wonderful performance. It was an honour to cheer you to that AG win and I cannot wait to cheer you on in Kona. Amazing stuff. It's going to be exciting isn't it?

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I wish I was loaded, what a year to be going to Hawaii. A xxxxx* of pirates to cheer on.

*Does anybody know the collective noun for pirates?

Hello Major! *kiss kiss* Thank you for your updates and phonecalls on race day.

• Top reportage people, thanks for sharing.  A huge Woooo Hooooo to the Kona contingent.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Mrs F - I wanted to kill you only in the nicest possible way image. And yes, it is going to be exciting - in fact it already is!

Thanks for everyone's lovely comments. It really is amazing to be a Pirateimage.

• Great report joddly - and a very well executed race! See you on the Big Island!

• Brilliant Joddly, the Big island won't know what has hit it when the Pirates arrive

• Great report Joddly and fantastic that you're off to the Big Island!!

Mrs Funkin wrote (see)

Brilliant report Joddly and amazing result. Coach Cox's race analysis was rightly impressed by your AG which "smashed their previous times"...

Mrs F - Unfortunately in that Coach Cox Article, I was his athlete with the "unfortunate and surprising DNF"  image I think he was just as gutted as I was...

• Awesome report pool mate .... Well deserved image

• As a fellow member of the 'gang of 2010' I am so so pleased for you Joddly image

Who would have thought back then that we had a Cona qualifier in our midst?  What you have done is inspiring.

I have decided that the trick for me is living long enough to make the 80-90 age group and then destroying the field for my spot at Kona! image

See you soon ( I doubt you will be at the Ballbuster this year!)

• Joddly what a lovely report. You made me go all goosebumpy! Well done to you, such a well deserved win xx

• Flywaway, haha fabulous report image
    You were grinning and buzzing so much when you finished it was unbelievable!

And your such a sandbagger, claiming your standalon marathon is 3.30-40 ish I can't remember, Outlaw marathon circa 4hrs. You must have almost set a marathon PB! Whoohoo!!!! Fair play to your mentor and the training you put in, you've improved hugely. Killed me onthe swim, I had few excuss but 1.18 FFS. Killed me in T1 too, I was nearly 6 mins, you werent so slow there. Dropped me on the bike at an aid station, couldn't believe how long it took me to reel you in. And if you hadn't slipped that chain...I might REALLY have had a race on my hands, as you were just a minute behind me!! Out splitted you on the run by just 30 secs!!!! I can keep my pride there thank goodness. I was (relatively) sprinting the last 1/2 lap for a sub 11 just like you, amazing feeling isnt it.

I wondered if you'd claim your Kona place, so pleased you have. image
    What are you like racing in the heat tho!!?

Did AG IronLaydee No.1 Sarah claim hers too? 

+1 for the pirate support, you guys n gals were awesome as usual 

• Oh Timmy  image I read about that. Gutted isn't the word I am sure. So sorry.

• Toyota_Crown wrote (see)
    What are you like racing in the heat tho!!?

Er... I'm ok?

No, Sarah didnt take her slot, which meant Sian in 3rd place could have it, which I am pleased about, because her boyfriend, Rob, had already qualified (at IMWA I think) so now they get to race together.

And my marathon PB is 3:34:xx so I was actually telling the truth (although it's obviously rather soft - I was going to address this at Abingdon, but there's been a change of plans)... you didnt ask for half marathon or 10k times, did you?! image

• Truly inspirational Kona bound Pirates! Congrats.

• Joddly what a brilliant report and an amazing race and result for you

• Hey joddly, great report, really amazing going.  So very well chuffed for you.  Must be an unreal high qualifying for Kona.....and winning your age group, absolutely awesome!

sorry we didn't get to say hello over the weekend, I did mistakenly ask a couple of jo's en route if they were you but they weren't.(one of them thought I was looking for an old flame!). 

I did meet dimtimtris, who clocked the 'tylertonka' on the back of my cycle vest.....great to meet you Tim, looks like you had a great race so great going.

quite a come down this week, body recovering, so hopefully do a a little report on here over weekend.

well done to everyone again!

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hey TT, glad to hear you're recovering. My only real disappointment of the weekend was not to meet you and the rest of the Bonkers team - we came a long way together. Looking forward to your report, and well done you!

• Nice report joddly, and very well done on the win image