Saturday 15th September

The day is long and the night is young

What 15.75
Why LSR
Lyrics for those with injuries or self doubt

Family day out tomorrow so LSR today and a run on Monday

Off to get PP4 up for his swimming lesson (he's better than me now!)

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics were Reap The Wild Wind by Ultravox.

Blisters - is that the furthest you've swum? Don't be tempted by the padded saddle, although it's counter intuitive the razor blade ones are usually more comfortable.

Have an easy day today Wabo.

postie - have you run already? Hope you have a nice day out tomorrow.

I''m also switching things about this weekend as the forecast is good for today and a tad on the windy side tomorrow.

What:                LSR
    Why:                 three more 20 milers to do.
    Last hard:          haven't done hard for a while
    Last rest:           14/9

Lyrics - feel that I should but can't say that I do.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning postie and LMH

What: Easy run done on pathways and fields.

Why: I just felt like it.

Great lyrics yesterday. Mind you I'm an Ultravox fanimage

Think so too  re todays lyrics.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

yes feel I should know these lyrics too

what: bit of tai chi, poodle around on bike delivering birthday cards and visiting e17 art trail

why: its all relaxing and lmh said so

last hard: yesterday morning bike

last easy thursday

have a lovely saturday all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning

What: Rugby match today
    Why: last one before stopping in prep for half mara
    Last hard: first swimming session on Thursday evening. Found it very tough but rewarding at the same time. Bought some of those 'jammer' swim shorts as I was the odd one out with recreational swim shorts on!
    Last rest: yesterday. knee was giving me a bit of greif after the swimming.

Have a good day all image 

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    13 miles done, part of the build up to 15-16M max LSR. Last Saturday I ran 12M with the club and reported first 8M at 8:05 and a lonely 4M at 8:34 having got dropped. Todays effort run on my own (club are running the Round Norfolk Relay) came out as first 8M at 8:07 and last 5M at 7:38! I have no idea where this is coming from, but I'm not complaining.

Only issue is that calves are feeling rather sore, but I suppose that's what happens as the effort and distance are increased.

Enjoy your swimming and biking everyone
  • Morning again

Tom: Yeah I get stiffness in my calves when my training increases.

• Blisters those swims are getting longer

Tom looking good

What 12 miles trotted out at 8 - 15 min / mile pace

Why that's as far as I go at the moment

Last hard yesterday

Last rest there was one once
  • Evening!

What: nothing running-wise
    Why: drove a couple of hours or so to mum's (I waved on the way by LMH) and then a couple of hours back having had a couple of stressful hours trying (and succeeding eventually) in carrying out some financial transactions for my mother at a couple of building societies. Feel exhausted and my legs wouldn't want to play at walking, never mind running, this evening.

And I know the lyrics and I'm doing it right now!

Tom: 1. jealous, 2. take it steady for a day or two! 3. Find a race!!

Birks: I get sore calves just thinking about running!

Wabo: enjoy tomorrow...and look forward to the report that tells us you finished in one piece, didn't drown/fallof the bike/twist and ankle etc etc!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

should be slapped for not knowing yesterdays lyrics.... poor by me...

Anyway, went to Bushy parkrun today to get a sub 20.... FAILED.... got a sub 19 instead (6:08, 6:03 and a 5:58) really happy with the last mile as 1st time Ive gone under 6mm for over a year..... ended up with a 18:55 for 3.13m, Jnr rocked in front of me in 18:18 for 22nd place to my 34th....

Then went on to see Fulham beat WBA 3-0 so we are very happy today...

Victory 5 tomorrow..... how close to 30.... will be really happy with anything under 31.....

Take care

• evening all, 
    excellent stuff RFJ & good luck tomorrow!
    aleH - well done wth todays banking, good job done..Tom, LmH - decent runs

what - 6.2m this morning while youngest was swim training,
    why - easy run after yesterdays (rescheduled) long run, which ended up being 13.8m in 1h50
    Eldest in 2nd game for senior ladies hockey this pm, scored her first 'senior' goal in an away win..

lyric - yep indeedy

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    RJF - congrats on the sub 19:00, you must be really chuffed and even more so to see your young 'un excelling.

Dustin - you've also got sport minded offspring, I'm sure they're making you proud of them.

Alehouse - again I can relate to your circumstances regarding your mum. The journey travelled to visit...not knowing what you're going to find when you get there.

Also - 1. Pretty chuffed, 2. Easy run for me tomorrow, 3. Contemplating West Pinchbeck 10k at the end of the month.
  • Nice work, RFJ! And Junior! Will he be doing the Vic 5 too?

Dustin: my "little" girl (5 ft and 22!) played her second match for her new club, today as well...but lost 4-1. She is an attackoing midfielder and often tops the scoring charts...she was amused today to play full back after someone was injured early on and all the subs were forwards. At least it was only a friendly.

Postie:  nice LR, or was it LSR this week?

LMH: how was yours?

Tom: mum was on good form and would have passed any tests with flying colours. Yesterday was a different story on the phone, and tomorrow may well be, also. It is Tuesday tomorrow isn't it? (Well that may well be the phone call I get when mum phones to ask why the post office isn't open. Again. " I thought it was Wednessday afternoons that they close." "Mum, its Sunday today, " etc etc.)

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Tom, yes on both counts, just looked back, Last time I broke sub 19 was in March 2010 so nearly 30 months, so just proves to me that injuries dont last forever even though it feels like it sometimes...

Jnr is running really well to and hoping that he will go on from here and get into the 17:XX and lower but at 16 its more getting the mind right and attitude to train properly, its a fine line betwen pressure and encouragement.....

Ale, yes he is also doing it and yes expect him to be in front of me.... but the extra 2m may just be in my favour....

• RFJ:  actually, 5 miles is quite a long way to race at 16 compared to most other races for the age group. Does he run at school? Will he be doing x-c?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Does a little at school and is moving up to the XC this year (done the jnrs side the last few years over 5-6K.... but this year he will be classed at U20 as 17 in Nov.... meaning he will be doing the smae courses as me (9km). he has done 10ks and 5s before but has only really raced 1 10k at Eastleigh earler this year, where he ducked just under 41..... and he has come a long way since then with club, so will be interesting to see how he does tomorrow.

• Look forward to tomorrow's report, RFJ! I remember finding it a big jump from being 16 and moving into the U20s and it was easy to become despondent: both during races and afterwards. There is a big difference between a just 17 year old boy and a nearly 20 year old man. Fortunately there are a lot more races available now, such as the parkruns. Runners develop at different rates: I have two friends who won English Schools cross country races mainly because they developed early.  I doubt that either beat me after the age of 20.

• Some nice sharp racing, and some good distance outings reported today.

For me, the day was never going to involve so much as a single calorie burned in athletic effort. A day out in the glorious Gloucestershire countryside with an Italian stallion of a chef, hunting for mushrooms and autumnal foraged fruiting bodies. Lunch was created whilst we observed and was orgasmic.

If you are going to have a day off, then please explain how it could possibly be better.

• Okay some catching up to do and bumping this over spam.