Ironman Wales 2013

Comments

• I will join shortly ... after I sorted out some payments lol ... Lanza already booked.

• Whats the headcount then right now? List please?image

• Hey all.... planning on IM Wales 2013 being my first IM.... need a couple of months to save up for the entry fee as i just bought a new bike! Does any one know roughly how long it takes to sell out?

cheers!

• AliThe Nut it hasn't sold out in the previous 2 year but it may do next year, but not for quite a while

• Hi AliTthNut if you go through one of the charities it is a easy way of getting in to ironman wales.

• Thought you folks might like this, from "Triathlete Europe" magazine;

"It is true to say that IRONMAN Wales provides a demanding level of difficulty across all three disciplines that cannot be found anywhere else. You don’t just have to be physically fit to take on the Welsh landscape, you have to be extremely hardy, perhaps also slightly mad and have a healthy side serving of stubborn. You would think only seasoned triathletes would take on such a challenge".

Enjoy imageimageimage

• Awesome, thank you.... I was just hoping to pay my £400 and have my own place... I ran my first marathon on a charity place and raising the commitment was no good on the cortisol affect on my training!

• slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Thought you folks might like this, from "Triathlete Europe" magazine;

"It is true to say that IRONMAN Wales provides a demanding level of difficulty across all three disciplines that cannot be found anywhere else. You don’t just have to be physically fit to take on the Welsh landscape, you have to be extremely hardy, perhaps also slightly mad and have a healthy side serving of stubborn. You would think only seasoned triathletes would take on such a challenge".

Enjoy imageimageimage

Bugger, I'd almost decided to do Bolton again in lieu of Tenby again, but reading that makes we want to return to Tenby.  The harder the better for me.

• M..TRIumphant wrote (see)
    The harder the better for me.

AndyB99 wrote (see)

oh crap  image

The opening line at the race briefing was

"Good afternoon Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to Ironman Wales, the toughest Ironman in the world"

• The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    M..TRIumphant wrote (see)
    The harder the better for me.

AndyB99 wrote (see)

oh crap  image

The opening line at the race briefing was

"Good afternoon Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to Ironman Wales, the toughest Ironman in the world"

It definitely was ... it chilled my spine then and while the Bike looked not as bad as I thought (apart from between Narberth and Tenby), I have a beautiful DNF to my name.

I personally think that it is the weather conditions that make it that extra hard. Tough bike and run and it is a bit chillier than you expect which can top that extra edge you think you might have.

I am so looking forward to next year ... I just dont do quitting

• Hope to be there next year, the atmosphere when supporting there this year was great, just need to sort out finances after just paying for Outlaw

• Hokori's from warmer climes, Andy. He'll be back to answer for himself, I'm sure, but it got proper cold, wet and blustery on the bike and I think he basically froze over.

• M..TRIumphant wrote (see)
    slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Thought you folks might like this, from "Triathlete Europe" magazine;

Enjoy imageimageimage

Bugger, I'd almost decided to do Bolton again in lieu of Tenby again, but reading that makes we want to return to Tenby.  The harder the better for me.

Bugger, I'd almost decided to do Tenby in lieu of Bolton, but reading that makes me think Bolton again.  OH NO, I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!

• Do Wales!!  When you get that medal it's one to be really proud of image

• wales will feel like a proper european Ironmanimage

• For anyone interested, Activity Wales have anounced that they will be running a half Ironman next year 6 weeks before IM Wales to provide a nice warm up for IM Wales. The half will be in Fishguard.

• FISHGUARD!

Even the sea is on a slope there!

I visit there twice a year as part of my work, and go for a run on the coastal path. My marathon pb is 2:58, so I go for a 3 hour run. I manage to cover 13 miles. If you've ever done Beachy Head marathon, well that's piss easy by comparison. Mind you, the scenery is to die for. One false step and you fall 300 feet onto rocks.

• slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Hokori's from warmer climes, Andy. He'll be back to answer for himself, I'm sure, but it got proper cold, wet and blustery on the bike and I think he basically froze over.

You are too kind on me my friend. I struggle in hot races since I moved here to the beautiful Albion due to reverse conditioning and I actually thought an 18C degree race would be the perfect thing for me.

I am not really sure how cold rollercoaster hill biking was better to a couple of moderate hills in mainland europe summer weather like Regens in my mind but that with the extra time to train and the life changing reports from last year I was sold to Wales.

The thing is the race is an absolute perfect match to the ironman dream challenge. Support on the day is the stuff of legend and it greatly distracts from its difficulty. If only the weather was not so changing.

My problems this year all rolled down from underestimating the effect of cold water swimming for 1h30min. I saved my legs a bit too much and I experienced a bit of cold muscle cramping on the second lap. Coming out of the water I did not overdid it on the way to transition in the way of running too hard.

However I never seemed to warm up. I took weather protection with me but no arm warmers as I hated them in my trial rides. I went for warmer base clothing instead but left the rain coat in the bike bag in transition as I thought it would be too hot a combo (tested in 20C no rain trial). I started soon with little leg cramp niggles on my quads, too early to be anything else but cold muscle based. They were never a big issue until Wisemans when I cramped really hard on my quads as I stood up, and to my shame walked it. I powered through Saundersfoot but I was prevented from out of the saddle riding since the start of the ride due to my quad issues.

On my second lap in the rain I started shivering as my effort on the bike lowered due to fatigue and eventually as you say I pretty much froze over. I struggled long before deciding to pull out as I definitely thought I could not go like this on the descents from Narbeth to Tenby.

I spent 10 months exclusively training for this event. I did 100 milers like HHH and beyond that like the Dragon Ride and the Alpe D'Huez triathlon that I also DNF'd due to mechanical issues in preparation for Wales. I not only felt prepared but I also looked forward to the realization of a dream.

It has taken me a bit to realize lining up at an Ironman is a feat on itself and that the array of challenges these races have beyond the endurance test are many and they can derail the day of many a seasoned veteran.

If any of you race Wales for your first Ironman make the most of your day regardless of how long it happens to be on the day as this race is an Ironman exemplar. You will read many people size you up for your bravery as this is not as easy as it looks.

And if you need any hardcore mind tips on how to tackle this race just ask Slag(as seen on TV). The dude was an original IMW finisher on his first IM and has completed the race last year.

See you guys next year!

• good stuff hokori....i dnf'd my first IM (IMUK) and came back much stronger the year after to finish strong and proud (also seen on TV...lol)

really looking forward to wales

• Been lurking here for a while so hello.

IMW 2013 will be my first IM distance race having decided to get back into the sport this year after a 22 year break.  Looking forward to it especially as I holidayed all over this area as a child & the Angle feed station is in front of my Grandfathers (now deceased) house.

• 22 years!!

Welcome back!

Still prevaricating myself... Challenge henley, IM Wales or Challenge Bathelona.

IM Wales is recommended thoughimage

• Hello there!

I cant wait either. OC, Barna is amazing I heard and the weather is probably going to be very nice albeit a bit windy. We expect you to come Wales though image

• @Andy ... I can only hope mate. I was devastated as I never thought I would hop off the bike.

• My OH has informed that once again he will pay for my entry for this for my christmas.the only other time he has done this was last IMW when i didn't finish...........I hope he doesn't buy a dud ticket again

• I am sure it wont! I trust to see us both through this time!

• I have to inform that I will do Barna 1 month after Wales next year due to Barna becoming spanish tritards championships for my mates over there ...

As seen on FB my schedule for 2013 is now:

IMLanza / Alpe D'Huez Long / IMWales / ChallBarna