Base Training

Comments

• Thanks Shades, not a lot of choice out here, but I do 2 day multisport races. So max time on feet this year is 5:32, and total racing time of 16 hours over 2 days.

I'll have to go with the long training runs and try to find a couple more marathons between Jan and June.

Hipps - wow big 50 already, awesome!
  • well,at least 3 wont count for 100 mara club

still, soon i will "officially" be half way there
  • Hello and happy new year! I need a bit of advice on Hadd's heart rate training if anyone can help. I've been doing base training for some weeks now but only just got round to reading 'the' Hadd article all the way through, and want to clarify a few things if that's ok, would be a great help.

1. What Hadd calls HRmarathon, calculated from my actual max HR, is 184 (204 max minus 20 bpm), and according to Hadd my easy running HR should then be 30 bpm less than this, or <154. But in the article he also says that if your HRmax is 193+ (even if over 200, which mine is), then you should do your easy running at <145, and start initial lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR) runs at 155-160.
    I'm now a bit confused which of these I should be following. I have been working to running at <145 anyway (based on 204 x 0.7), but then according to Hadd's general guidelines for all max HRs over 193, the initial LTHR runs at 155-160 would be my 'actual' easy run pace, according to my actual HRmax.

2. When doing Hadd's test of repetitions of 2400m, given my HRmarathon, I presume I should be doing 5 repetitons for the following HRs: 150, 160, 170, 180 and 190 -is this correct?

3. A bit of background. After completing my first marathon in October last year I've been doing base training for 6 weeks now, getting down to <145, running 5/6 days per week (4/5 x 6 mile runs in the week, Saturday off and a 10 mile run on Sundays). What I want to know is how should I incorporate LTHR runs into my existing schedule, and the more specific training I will be starting soon? I have a half marathon on 25 March where I hope to do 2 hrs or just under (PB 2:10), and my second marathon on 27th May where I'm aiming for 4:30 or just under (PB 4:39).
    I was planning on following Shades level 2 marathon plan (18 weeks, 4 or 5 runs per week including 1 or 2 speed - mostly tempo - sessions), but I see that Hadd doesn't adivise tempo runs until you can do 10 miles at HRmarathon without loss of pace, and I don't think I have sufficient time to build slowly to this before the half and marathon training would begin. I'm therefore wondering how best to continue with Hadd's principles whilst training for my half in March and full marathon in May, given my goals for both races and the time available.
    Although I've yet to do any specific tests to measure my progress with base training over these past weeks I'm sure I'm seeing some improvement and want to carry on following the principles, and I've been told that Hadd's give the best results.

Sorry this has been a really long post and thanks for any views.
  • Happy New Year all. I was pointed to this thread by a running partner. Spent the last two months of 2006 devoted to "running" at a low heart rate of around 100, my miles have been averaging around 13 minutes. I know that more traditional low heart rates are at the 120/125 level.
    Do any of you experienced athletes see any great value in training at 100, or is it just completely daft to do so?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    PH7 - do you know what your actual max HR is (not by using any formula)?

My max is 160 so I do my Bt runs at 70%, i.e. 112.

As you can train at 100bpm I would guess your max HR is fairly low too or you're incredibly fit!
  • I've not posted for ages and ages now. Am still running but have found motivation a little difficult in the last month - problem is, it shows round the waistline too!!

Happy New Year to all.
  • Boing!!!!

Anyone still doing BT?
  • Babu....just my 2p worth....

I wouldn't consider that the Hadd programme will have a huge effect for the half but could be a good start for the full mara but even this is a little soon. The idea of base training IMHO is just like it says, to lay a base for more speedy training later on. However, the longer you take building the base, the better equipped you will be to do the faster stuff.

Take a longer term view and get a good base. As the man says, you can run too fast but not too slow so run at as low a HR you can without actually walking....you WILL progress using this method. After about 6 months (or as long as you can stand it) try adding on tempo runs and other speed sessions but continue the LSRs...

Others are free to disagree with this and I'd be interested in what you have to say...

RB
  • I would suggest that you concentrate on lots of 145 running (which as you say is Hadd's suggestion for the max easy running HR regardless of having a very high Max HR).

I did around 6 months training using base approach...with most runs done at sub 135 (my max is around 182-3). I also ran a couple of runs per week at sub 145 (this increased to sub 150 then sub 155 later in training programme). In any case, most runs were at sub 135. Pace for this HR started at around 10.30 min/mile and improved to around 8.30 min/mile.

Weekly mileage varied between 45-75.

Provided good base for mara which was run in 3.21.55

Good luck.
  • not long now till surgery...24 Feb..

Actually, leg has stopped locking...
  • Good luck David. How long is the recovery predicted for??
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's great news David - you've had a long frustrating wait.
  • Cheers all. Not sure about recovery time. Seems to vary from a few days to a few weeks, depending on who I am talking to. Of course that's just recovery from the surgery...recovery from the injury...well......

Good to see the old BT thread back up and running...if I ever get back running, I will be following Mr Hadd's principles once again...

regards

d
  • Hi david

yes-not long now for you-thank goodness
  • David

Hope the op goes well, and that you are able to get back to some training soon.
  • Thanks Ratbag and David for your responses to my recent post - actually it's been quite a while since I was on the forums so missed checking.

If I had 6 months with no races on the horizon I would have carried on as I'd been going, but as I don't have that time to play with and have started Shades level 2 marathon plan, I'm just keeping an eye on my HR (before I didn't use a monitor) to make sure easy runs are easy , etc.

I know my 2 months following Hadd's principles have given me a good base for what's to come, and as that's all I can really do for now I'm happy to take that benefit.
  • David meant to add my best wishes for your surgery.
  • David - not sure if the surgery has happened or not yet - but whichever - good luck.
  • David had surgery yesterday

dont know the outcome yet
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to David.
  • shades
    its very VERY good news form david

a cartilage problem was identified and dealt with

he will be back to running
  • Boing for Annelisa
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just back into BT again for a 5 week period and loving it.
  • IanRunnerIanRunner ✭✭✭
    Hi.I've been reading quite a bit of this thread and have been doing my base training for just over two weeks now.I use the 180-age formula.For me this is 152bpm max. I did 22 miles the first week and 25 miles last week I am looking to increase it again this week.I did my long run last week and did 8.41 miles in 90 minutes at an average hr of 149bpm.My pace was 10.43/mile.
    Today I did more or less the same run just slightly further.I ran for 90 minutes again this time doing 8.61 miles at an average HR of 153 bpm,slightly over my limit but it was hot and sunny.My average pace was 10.28/mile.Is this an improvement? Also is it ok to add a few bpm in hot weather?The running itself did'nt feel hard.

What is the best book to get on base training?I cant seem to find Hadd's approach for some reason.

Thanks

Ian.

• hello!!!!!

There was a great link on here to windsurfing susies blog on here

the formula sucks
    fo a lot of people, but seesm to be working for you

Im glad you bounced this thread

i need to get back to this

it seems to be an improvement but you need longer and lots more miles

(wiats for someone who knows what they are on about to come back)
  • IanRunnerIanRunner ✭✭✭
    Hi.Thanks for that.Why does that formula not work for most people? I went for run this morning and found it quite hard to get HR upto just below my max of 152bpm.I averaged out at 145bpm for 4.92 miles at a pace of 9.09/mile.Felt much better than yesterday.Im really suprised at the amount of mileage I can handle at this level.I was really struggling with mileage until I tried this.

Ian.
  • Is anybody still using base training? Would be interested to see if any of the original peeps on the thread have had any success with it.
  • how timely

I need to get back to it
    too much racing and i have forgotten how to run slowly

well, its all relative
  • Afternoon Benz, I've been going out most days for the last 2 wks for a trot with my hrm just to see if it makes any difference. I wonder where Pantman is nowadays.