half outlaw

Comments

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

matt - yeah that is bad, specially after it was mentioned in the race briefing as well as being in the race pack, and just being an anti-social thing to do. Maybe that is partly why local authorities charge loads for the traffic management etc

• The local authorities weren't providing the TM, it was a private contractor!

• Yay - I had a fabulous day

Steady and mathschick - really sorry you didnt make it. I know how gutted you must both be. and steady I think the bike cut off times were a little sharp, 4 hours for the bike and 4 for the run. Seems disproportionate to me.

Lovely to meet some of you there and well done to all

• Timmy - there was a list next to the computer you could print your splits on which had loads of DQs for drafting - a few listed for drafting 4 and 5 times!!

I think the local authorities charge to allow traffic management

SS - so glad you had a good day, bet you are pleased you did it! Hope you are feeling confident for the full outlaw

• 11DQ's on the results - one at least for nudity!!

• Back home and fed, shower then bed after a quick report,

I had a great swim and bike (4 hours in total) and buggered up the run by doing in in 2.59!!!! But I think I may change my forum name to ScaredtoFart, as that is how I spent the last 10 miles of the bike and all the run image

The support was superb, I got to meet my Mentor(SA) plus Mrs SA and Jordy (best support on the course), who also met my wife and kept her updated, cheers folks, I met a few other pirates and got a few yarrs, apologies for none back but the run almost finished me.

Funny moment was when Saffers passed me on the bike and I said "go on Safffers" she then asked how I recognised her, but at this point all I could see was her bum and I couldn't really answer that!!

I saw Tim a few times I think I gave him some stick for only doing the bike leg! Great bike leg though, next time Tim can you do my run leg! Plenty of carnage on the roads with spares and litter everywhere

A great day and I can honestly rate most of the portaloos on the course!! Thaks for the support and it was a pleasure to meet you all, I now have a hard 6½ weeks of training before Ironman UK

Chris

• Spent a good ten minutes catching up, well done one and all!

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Congratulations to those that finished and commisserations for those that didn't (and those who are poorly, you poor thing).

Can't wait to read the reports.

• I never saw very many marshalls til the latter half yesterday but there were plenty of people drafting that I noticed. Thought the whole thing was very smoothly run. Wouldn't have minded a bit more space in transition.

I nearly cancelled this race due to OW wibbles the weekend before but swim went well in 46mins. My first transition took 13mins thoughimage My hands were so cold they wouldn't do what they were told. Had a good bike and a steady run for a 6h 47 overall. Was great. Had a grin on my face most of the day

• race days are always a mix of well dones and comisserations..........

so i will add mine.

keep the reports coming image

• Im also looking forward to reading some race reports.

well done everyone.

• Chris68 wrote (see)

Back home and fed, shower then bed after a quick report,

I had a great swim and bike (4 hours in total) and buggered up the run by doing in in 2.59!!!! But I think I may change my forum name to ScaredtoFart, as that is how I spent the last 10 miles of the bike and all the run image

The support was superb, I got to meet my Mentor(SA) plus Mrs SA and Jordy (best support on the course), who also met my wife and kept her updated, cheers folks, I met a few other pirates and got a few yarrs, apologies for none back but the run almost finished me.

Funny moment was when Saffers passed me on the bike and I said "go on Safffers" she then asked how I recognised her, but at this point all I could see was her bum and I couldn't really answer that!!

I saw Tim a few times I think I gave him some stick for only doing the bike leg! Great bike leg though, next time Tim can you do my run leg! Plenty of carnage on the roads with spares and litter everywhere

A great day and I can honestly rate most of the portaloos on the course!! Thaks for the support and it was a pleasure to meet you all, I now have a hard 6½ weeks of training before Ironman UK

Good to meet you at last Chris!!  Surely it must be more than 6.5 weeks till Bolton?? image

I suppose if you take taper out, it is... image

Better get some serious training in then!! And maybe stop eating for a few weeks... image

• Tim, yep, 6.5 weeks then the taper...bugger, need to try and improve my run off the bike so I think I maybe running off the bike a lot in the coming weeks, and I need to improve my swim, eating, biking oh and wear something distinctive so my wife can see me easily!!! image

I had a great day and was a pleasure to meet so many great people.

• Well done all, can't wait to read reports!

• Well done all, I'm a little croaky today after all the cheering and screaming, oh and more than a little sun burnt where I missed with the lotion image

• Hahaha Mrs Matt - my nose is a little pink too - the wind cooled me down and I thought the lotion I'd put on was enough image rock on with the reports! 

Also who was the nice blonde piratey lady who ran past me on the course? Medium length hair..I'm trying to place faces with names image

• image Suckitup was the lady in question small or not? If they where small ish might have been alibear. 

• seren nos wrote (see)

race days are always a mix of well dones and comisserations..........

so i will add mine.

keep the reports coming image

Adding mine too - so excited about the full now ... good to see supporters' reports as well ...

• Is there a seperate thread for the reports? Southern Sanil, did you pass me on the final lap, told me to keep going you had a big smile on your face? I think I congratualted you in the sports hall?

Cheers Chris

• Chris68 wrote (see)

Is there a seperate thread for the reports? Southern Sanil, did you pass me on the final lap, told me to keep going you had a big smile on your face? I think I congratualted you in the sports hall?

Cheers Chris

Not normally!

Can I just add my Well Done to everybody elses'!

I was the lone marshall at the end ot the perimeter road telling you to slow down for the sharp corner! I was also sporting my Pirate cap at the feed station at the end of the lake!! Completely knackered after yesterday & only came into work to get a rest! image

• You was great yesterday, made me smile everytime and thanks for the support, didn't get my bacon butty though!

Chris

• Hello all! 

I may have been the small blonde piratey lady you speak of Buttercup. I had a pirate monaco, hat and was wearing longish running tights? I ran past and chatted to lots of pirates yesterday!  The support was amazing, I loved every second of it - all photos of me look a little hysterical. Thanks to all supporters and other pirates! 

Sorry to those who DNF/make it to the start. You'll smash it next time image 

• Well done to everyone that took part yesterday. Was great to meet everyone and put faces to names.
    Thanks to everyone that was supporting on the run course, was a real boost.
    Managed a PB, not hard considering my previous time was nearly an hour slower.
    Just need to recover from the fabulous sunburn on my legs and sore wrist and elbows.

Day started with lots of nerves and feeling really reluctant to do the race. Got to HPP and from there the day got better once I was in my wetsuit.
    Swim was good, started at the back of bay 2 after making sure that I had got used to the water. Stayed closer to the bank all the way round so I had clear water while swimming.
    Took my time getting ready to go out onto the bike, family were wondering what I was doing from their accounts.
    Bike was fabulous, really enjoyed it and averaged about 14mph to finish just over 4 hours although I would have come in under 4 for feed station 2.
    Got a bit carried away and decided to grab a drinks bottle as I was cycling through rather than stop and collect one. As I've never tried that before what happened next was not surprising.
    Grabbed the bottle and managed to hang onto it but then my balance went and I started to weave all over the place. Realised I was going to end up crashing so just left the bike head towards the grass verge opposite while managing to unclip on foot before going down in a heap. Most spectacular if not elegant.
    A couple of minutes to sort out the chain which has come off the cogs while the guy that came to help me commented on the fact that I had 3 cogs on the front rather than 2. Well I do like my comfort, hence the gel seat cover I use image
    Rest of the bike was uneventful, if a bit painful with the wrist which was sore.
    Run was hard but good. Pirate support was amazing and really lifted me up everytime I went passed. I loved Jordy coming down to run back up as I was passing for the last time.
    Managed to run into the finish with my son, which I've wanted to do for ages. So what if he got more cheers and high fives than me image
    Caught up with one of my neighbours in the sports hall afterwards while grabbing something to eat. He looked slightly worse than I felt. It was his second half too.

Drove home last night, cleaned myself up and had an early night. Bottle of beer sitting on the kitchen side to go with pizza this evening. Well deserved reward.

• Cake - this lovely lady was before Alibear came round and told me she didn't want to play anymore :P It may have been you AC image I gave up trying to remember race numbers - Im a bit pants at that!

Ouch JVR!! Pizza well deserved mate image 

Iron Sister image me too, me too! 

• Chris68 - not me. Al coops maybe?

Iron Little Sister - I recall a marshall at the end of the lake but don't recall a pirate cap - sorry and never saw anybody at that last feed station with pirate gear either. Perhaps I should get my eyes checked.image I do recall saying to someone at the feed station on my last lap that it must be very hot out there without any shelter

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    7755matt wrote (see)

Daft Question, we're on a step challenge at work. Can I put my pedometer on for the run tomorrow? Or can someon give me an idea how many steps in a half?

didn't have this info to hand before your race but my work is also doing a step challenge and provide the following calculations:-

Running 10 mph (6-min Mile) 314
    Running 11 mph (5.5-min Mile) 354
    Running 5 mph (12-min Mile) 157
    Running 5.2 mph (11.5-min Mile) 177
    Running 6 mph (10-min Mile) 196
    Running 6.7 mph (9-min Mile) 216
    Running 7 mph (8.5-min Mile) 226
    Running 7.5 mph (8-min Mile) 246
    Running 8 mph (7.5-min Mile) 265
    Running 8.6 mph (7-min Mile) 275
    Running 9 mph (6.5-min Mile) 295

Freestyle Swimming (Moderate Effort) 137
    Freestyle Swimming (Vigorous Effort) 196

Bicycling (Mountain, BMX) 167
    Bicycling 16–19 mph (Very Fast) 236
    Bicycling 20 mph (Racing) 315
    Biking 10–11 mph (Leisure) 118
    Biking 12–13 mph (Moderate Effort) 157
    Biking 14–15 mph (Vigorous Effort) 196

The number is the equivalent steps for every minute of activity.

Well done to everyone who raced.

I am loving the reports, so gutted I couldn't even get out of bed to come and support even though I couldn't race. But I feel more determined to really train hard for next year's. And there will always be the wild boar too. 

jvr - ouch, but well done for trying with the bottle thingimage I also have 3 rings at the front, don't know if that is better or worse than 2, it is just the bike that I bought, and I have no idea about bikes really. 

• Southern Snail wrote (see)

Chris68 - not me. Al coops maybe?

Iron Little Sister - I recall a marshall at the end of the lake but don't recall a pirate cap - sorry and never saw anybody at that last feed station with pirate gear either. Perhaps I should get my eyes checked.image I do recall saying to someone at the feed station on my last lap that it must be very hot out there without any shelter

That's OK!! Depending on when you came through the feed station I might have been having a break, 5 minutes to eat a sandwich! image It was fairly full on all day! image But great fun to do!!