Options

wearing headphones/earphones

Comments

• Options

Well I guess a sweaty runner sprawling over the body would have contaminated the evidence image

• Options

Ive had as many incidents with people wearing headphones as with people without headphones. Personally I wouldnt wear them in a race, but if it helps others get through the race, go for it.

Does a dead sheep in the road change the race classification from "road race" to "assault course"? I dont like assault courses!

• Options

1) Head phones - should not be allowed. There is nothing more annoying than overtaking someone during a race and passing the time of day with them, they then look at you blankly and then remove their headphones and then you have to slow down to let them reply to you and then you feel bad for having put them to all that trouble as you then run off again - GRRRR!

2) Deaf people should be allowed to race - it is preposterous to compare the two situations.

3) Overtaking must be overtakers responsibility - once I really struggled at end of a HM - at that level of tiredness you barely know what is going on around you whether you have head phones on or not and moving in one direction at will (particularly forward!!) is very difficult - I would have been extremely upset if I had been pushed out of the way by someone running past me!

• Options

I don't think anyone has suggested that deaf runners should not be allowed to race. Also, it's not proposterous to raise the subject of deaf runners within the context of a discussion about runners wearing headphones that limit their ability to hear during a race. The cause of the hearing impairment are different, but the results are the same, and if a race organiser chooses to ban headphones on the grounds of safety, then I was curious to know what measures they put in place to ensure the safety of deaf or hearing-impaired runners and those around them. It appears from the response of the race organiser on this thread that no specific safety measures are put in place by the event organisers for deaf runners, on the assumption that experienced deaf runners will know how to avoid causing unnecessary obstructions to fellow runners. So now I know.

• Options

That's kind of the point isn't it - knowing how not to cause unecessary obstructions, whether you're deaf or using an iPod. And sadly, that courtesy is what seems to be lacking in a lot of people.

I'd agree that overtaking is mostly the overtaker's responsibility, but everyone in a race also has a responsibility to cause minimal disruption to everyone else. That means being vaguely aware of your fellow runners and not getting unecessarily in their way.

• Options
    UKA obviously deems headphones enough of a safety hazard to ban them so if you want to enter these events you should respect the rules. It really is that simple. I don't know why there's even a debate about it.

From my experience people wearing headphones in races are generally much less aware of their surroundings. If you headphone wearers don't want to believe it that's up to you - some people think they're safe to drive after a few drinks too. It's just arrogance and selfishness - that I know better and the rules don't apply to me attitude.

And those of you attacking the OP, do you really slow down towards the end of races when you're chasing a time just in case someone you're passing randomly steps in front of you at the last second? Really?!
  • Options

The "deaf runner" argument is a particularly offensive justification for wearing an iPod at a race.

Its a bit like saying "I expect to get a seat on the bus/ tube/ train home because all those old/ pregnant/ mobility impaired people do."

The odd one or two people, with genuine need, can be accommodated by a decent and inclusive society.  That doesn't mean its reasonable for everyone else to choose to take the p*ss and do as they please.

• Options

EKGO i'm probably going to be wearin my club vest for Chester ( although after this thread i may have to consider getting a vest with hearing impaired and moron printed on it as well hahahahaimage  )

• Options
    Poots wrote (see)

At Race the Train a couple of years back, a woman just in front of me fell slap bang into a dead sheep because she was wearing headphones and didn't hear the Marshall yelling "Dead sheep round the coner" as she was wearing headphones.

That'll learn her.

Perhaps she should try putting the headphones over her ears and not her eyes? How do you miss a dead sheep in your path?

• Options

1-3medals I'll just take the usual Moron tee shirt then, Failing that I will just rely on my usual expression which says it all really. All this fuss over a little music, which does no harm to anyone, I can enjoy my music, it helps me get round 26 miles and I can still hear what people say to me.

• Options
    Artie Fufkin, Polymer Records wrote (see)

The "deaf runner" argument is a particularly offensive justification for wearing an iPod at a race.

Its a bit like saying "I expect to get a seat on the bus/ tube/ train home because all those old/ pregnant/ mobility impaired people do."

The odd one or two people, with genuine need, can be accommodated by a decent and inclusive society.  That doesn't mean its reasonable for everyone else to choose to take the p*ss and do as they please.

How do you accomodate the deaf person that forgets to wear "DEAF - I CAN'T HEAR YOU SHOUT 'COMING THROUGH'" on his t shirt? Deafness is an invisible disability so I fail to follow your argument. What if the person in front steps aside to avoid a pothole/puddle/hedgehog. As the person overtaking you have to be prepared to take evasive action. It is like driving.

• Options
    EKGO wrote (see)

. All this fuss over a little music, which does no harm to anyone, I can enjoy my music, it helps me get round 26 miles and I can still hear what people say to me.

It's more the fuss about obeying the rules.......  

I'll keep an eye out at Chester and be ready to apply them shall I ?

• Options

If you feel the need but of course you won't

• Options

No ?    People were last year.. Perhaps this year more effort can be made, now that it is an issue

• Options

I quite enjoyed Chester last year it was run and organised in a friendly spirit, people were quite polite and probably will be all over again, I saw many wearing headphones and no one said anything that I saw. It's like a law that says don't park on the pavement, you might get the odd fine slapped on a windscreen once a blue moon but other than that it's not strictly allowed, it goes on, and no one really cares. So why waste the effort.

• Options

Such as wasting the effort of doing all that training, and getting taken out before the line.....

We are a nice bunch in Chester, Seems like it's the ones that come from outside think they are above the rules...

• Options

It was a nice crowd, even the outsiders seemed to behave, looking forward to it

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

The only time I've ever been really angry about headphone wearers was at the Amsterdam marathon a few years ago when it took two lads to pull someone out the way of the Ambulance they had been blocking due to being completely oblivious to it and the siren!

I had the same experience at another marathon (Thames Meander). An ambulance was coming through with full sirens and i was pointing/directing that he should move out of the way. It took a dog walker to push him out of the way of an ambulance.

For me - i will sometimes wear them in training but its a 'take or leave' approach. In races - i like talking to people so will rarely wear them.

• Options

Yes of course it should be good and I'm guessing wet this year.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

What are the rules on blocking?  I notice formula 1 got all PC with overtaking cars being given right of way.  I like a bit of argy bargy and playful jostling!

• Options

I have no issue with people using music in races, as long as the race organisers haven't banned it.  If the rules say no, then people should respect that.  My local HM does actually DQ people they see wearing them.

I just find it really, really hard to believe that someone wearing earbuds can't hear an ambulance siren close by. 

I tried to use a walkman for learning languages years ago, while commuting, and it didn't work - I couldn't hear the language examples over the traffic as I walked down the road!

I sometimes use my mp3 on the treadmill in the gym, and I can hear the people around me speaking, the TV, the sound of machines, etc.  I don't have mine very loud, but I believe that mp3s and ipods and so on have volume limiters?

• Options

I don't listen to music when I train or in races, this is due to training on my own and wanting to be aware of what's around me, but also because I like to think that I can get round a race without relying on anything other than my own mental strength. 

I have no issue with people who do use music in training, but in races there are rules and when you enter you agree to abide by the rules which usually include 'no ipods/music devices' - so what's the problem with obeying rules?  Not griping, just making a point - it's up to the individual at the end of the day what they choose to do.

The only time I have had an issue with headphone wearers was at Chester Half marathon when a runner (wearing headphones) was weaving all over the road and couldn't hear the police motorcyclist beeping the horn to warn her that he was behind her and trying to pass...........................!

• Options

Weekend new forest half marathon numpty loud speaker man said it was ok to wear 1 ear phone; like that is gonig to happen once the race gets underway.  Perhaps he should have read the race rules before opening his mouth.  anyway, folk will decide to wear headphones so let them.  As long as they are aware of those about them then there is no issue

• Options
    Cheshercat wrote (see)

As long as they are aware of those about them then there is no issue

the problem is that they aren't but always insist that they are.

or perhaps i should say they are less aware or less able to hear what is going on than if they weren't listening to music through headphones.

• Options

Is there an actual rule or is just because some people don't like it,

• Options

Yes, there is an actual rule banning them at most races.

• Options

All UKA licensed events ban the use of headphones.

Some events allow them.