Missing Maths Teacher

Comments

• seren nos wrote (see)

Rickster.the CRB check will never pick up every sicko..but it will at least pick up the ones that have been done for it before....and so take some of them out of the equation...........taking some of them is better than taking none.........

as for the indignity of having a CRB check as an individual............what total crap.....having to fill in a short form and supply formal identification ..........what on earth can you be upset by doing that......unless you are shy about your real age........i have had them done as have both my sons at the age of 15 to do voluntary work.........

as a parent surely its reasurring that every one has them as we all know its these kind of clubs and churches where slimeballs have infilitrated in the past..............as least once found out they can not move from area to area and attack another group of innocent kids

the only negative about teh CRB is that the administrration is arse over tit and needs sorting..but teh idea is sound

I remember having to fill one in when I did a part time cleaning job in the evening at a school. It took about a month to come through and I couldn't start until it came through the post. I can see why they have the system in place, but my point is that it's treating normal law abiding folks like criminals. Also, it think that the cost of it is a bit excessive, seeing as all they have to do is check a few computer records.

• The thing is that they think they will be able to run away together, plead their case about how it is "natural" love, and everyone will swoon like at the end of a disney film. But unfortunately the ending is going to be somewhere in a prison for our teacher friend.

They will be found soon enough like Dark Vader said, since they are tracked everywhere they go...

• Thinking about it...  isn't it the List 99 check that is relevant to this, not a CRB check...?

It'll be interesting to find out the story behind this...  they may deny any sexual contact, for example...    his family and loved ones must be hugely shocked and embarassed by it all too..  and they probably had no idea either....

• How is it treating law-abiding people as criminals?  It's treating them as an unknown quantity, which is actually what they are.

The only way I can see of not making innocent people wait for the CRB to come back will also let people with paedophile convictions teach/whatever while you wait for the CRB to come back - that seems quite a risk to take.

What exactly are you proposing as a better alternative Rickster?

• Since when has a CRB check been an indignity? The trouble with issues like this is that a lot of people get on their moral high horse and disengage their brain. I think some people here were involved in harassing that pediatrician in the 90's.
  • XFR Bear wrote (see)

How is it treating law-abiding people as criminals?  It's treating them as an unknown quantity, which is actually what they are.

The only way I can see of not making innocent people wait for the CRB to come back will also let people with paedophile convictions teach/whatever while you wait for the CRB to come back - that seems quite a risk to take.

I'm proposing that they drop the price a bit, as it seems like a money making excercise. Surely it shouldn't cost £44 to check a couple of records.

• You said that the current system was treating people like criminals, how does your proposal resolve that?

• I have had at least 3 CRB checks in my time. I can't say I ever felt like a criminal. I felt a few quid lighter in my pocket when I had to pay for myself once. If you know that form is coming back blank then what is the problem? If you do have a criminal record then you might feel like a criminal....because you are.
  • I don't think CRB checks treats people like criminals, although I'd hope a failed one had repercussions! and we'd soon be annoyed if it was stopped, maybe it's just not stringent enough looking at this recent case.

If the school were warned about this 7 months earlier and were investigating, surely the school authorities have to inform the Parent that their Daughter is part of an investigation. This is criminal and really concerns me.

I can see Jail for him, She will drift off into a return to school blissfully unaware until maturity catches up with her, and I can't imagine how the families must feel, in the end it's those connected who will suffer when they are the innocent bystanders.

• Rickster wrote (see)
    XFR Bear wrote (see)

How is it treating law-abiding people as criminals?  It's treating them as an unknown quantity, which is actually what they are.

I'm proposing that they drop the price a bit, as it seems like a money making excercise. Surely it shouldn't cost £44 to check a couple of records.

So you actually have no idea how much work goes into a check as you seem to think its only checking a couple of records.

• The thing that gets to me is that on the pictures from the CCTV on the boat that girl looks really young to me...I mean she looks like a young girl holding the hand of an obviously older man...I wonder if any of us had seen them would we have done something about it?

• I doubt any of us would see anything wrong unless they were bahaving in a way to suggest GF/BF and even then who could realistically judge ages well enough to intervene.

• How can this be considered a failure of the CRB system. The CRB picks up on people with passed criminal convictions. How can you prevent what people will do in the future? This is real life not Minority Report.
  • Devil's advocate question, what happens if they come back and both claim no physical contact?

I assume it's still inappropriate behaviour from a teacher and his job would suffer but could he avoid jail?

• GFB - To me the pictures look like a teenager rather than a young girl holding the hand of a man about 30.   I might wonder but she could easily be 17 so what complete strangers are meant to do I'm not sure - it's not like you can challenge someone because his girlfriend looks like she might be under 16 but could easily be over that age.  I know what you mean about people often not intervening in things but in this case I'm not sure they could be expected to.

If they come back and claim not to have had sex and it can't be proved they have then I suppose he gets sacked and charged with some less serious offence which to be honest would seem fair enough to me.   

• border control would have the passport and so the date of birth.......

• They went on a ferry Seren.....  When we went to France on the ferry they didn't even bother to take the passports out of my hand when we left the UK, and coming back it was a holiday in France so only the girl at the ferry company office looked at them...

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Ghostrider wrote (see)

I guess my angle is, how can someone shoot them selves in the foot with such power.

4) He is going to do some serious bird.

Will he? What law has he broken? I guess sex with a minor might be proved (well it's rape I think because under 16s can't give consent as far as my limited knowledge stretches), hard to prove, but what would constitute a long time in jail when you really look at the law?

We know there are many breaches of trust and professional responsibility, but what actually in law, I don't know. Anyone know about child law here?

Assuming the worst from the facts all these offences could apply:

Rape (it is illegal to have sex with a person under the age of 16.) I think there is some prosecutorial discretion where the defendant is also quite young (e.g. a 18 year old having sex with his 15 year old girlfriend) to charge them with a "lesser" offence, but I doubt very much that any court would see a situation where a man in his 30s had sex with a 15 year old pupil as a situation that calls for a "lesser" offence.

Abuse of a position of trust (if you are in a position of trust, e.g. teacher, the age of consent is 18 not 16, to protect vulnerable 16 and 17 year olds that might be unduly influenced by someone in authority). It's not just a question of professional ethics or morals, it is a criminal offence under the Sexual Offences Act.

Child abduction (removing a child from the lawful custody of the parents)

Kidnapping (you can't "consent" to kidnap if you are under 16, the same way you can't consent to sexual intercourse)

• EKGO wrote (see)

Devil's advocate question, what happens if they come back and both claim no physical contact?

I assume it's still inappropriate behaviour from a teacher and his job would suffer but could he avoid jail?

Kidnap and child abduction for starters? He still removed her from the custody of her lawful guardians, whether or not she went willingly is irrelevant. 

• I'd like to think it was something you couldn't get away with

• I can't imagine that the CPS would think that this situation didn't call for SOME form of prosecution. This isn't a niave teenage boy running off with his underage girlfriend, this is a grown man who has disappeared with a 15 year old girl entrusted to his care.

Whether they have been spending their time in France having sex or playing Monopoly, is there anyone who actually thinks that his actions should avoid some form of prosecution?

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    gingerfurball wrote (see)

The thing that gets to me is that on the pictures from the CCTV on the boat that girl looks really young to me...I mean she looks like a young girl holding the hand of an obviously older man...I wonder if any of us had seen them would we have done something about it?

To be honest, unless I recognised them from the images on the news then I doubt I would give it a second thought if I saw them.

• Apparently it all started when he asked her if 30 could go into 15
  • If a teacher and a pupil travel to France on a boat at 20mph and it takes 4 hours what's the probability the pupil get sh@gged?
  • God gave man enought blood to operate a brain and a penis, Sadly not at the same time.

Walked past the queue for the school bus in the village this morning, and whished I was 30 years younger image

• saw this posted elsewhere:

You are 30 she is 15 do the maths teacher 

You are 15 he is 30 do the maths teacher