I love running

2»

Comments

• Benz - runners high has in my experience absolutely nothing to do with fast (I don't do fast - local running club won't touch me - I'm too slow, but I'm kite high much of the time.) Has everything to do with the delight of being able to do it at all. A beautiful place to run is the icing on the cake.
  • I love:

The pain of a really hard climb through the woods on summer days
    The crispness of the air on a dark winters morning
    The high after a hard effort
    The company
    The solitude
    But most of all, the time it gives me to be me

Will
  • For me, it's because I can. There are loads of people who can't walk, let alone run. I'm priveleged and don't want to waste that gift.

Even after a difficult run I can still be pleased that I've done it.

It's also agreat way of taking time out....

Love it.....

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I like it as it allows me to get outside, relax (?), and enjoy the fresh air.
    I love the thrill of racing, the effort of training towards a goal, the confidence it gives not only in athletic terms but in life generally.
    I'm also pleased about the way it keeps me in shape.

Its good too that I can relate to other runners sharing goals,hopes and experiences.
  • i love running because it's faster than walking.
  • If I'd been asked 6 months ago I would have said I hated running, and that it was boring.

I've only really started running by accident: I was doing a little, mostly intervals, at the gym for general fitness, when someone suggested going for a run along the canal. So I did that, and it was much better than in the gym, but still nothing special. Did it a few more times, and it became a regular thing. Still no breakthrough though.

Then we began to increase the distance, and THAT lit the blue touch paper for me. Now that I'm covering real distances and I feel that I'm actually travelling somewhere I really do enjoy it.

The canal runs are fantastic now, a real escape from town life. I see very few people, there are lots of dragonflies flitting everywhere, its quiet...

Then I did the Windsor half on Sunday. It was first ever, and further than I'd ever run before. For me it was a great course. I enjoyed the leafy green setting, the hills were fine (especially down), the atmosphere, running amongst lots of people... and I finished much quicker than I thought I would.

I never, ever, expected to enjoy a run that much!
  • I love to run along the seemingly endless tracks here in Germany. I can run a different route for almost every day of the month... all around 10 kms each,which is my favourite distance. There are always other runners / walkers / cyclists on these routes,and they always look twice at the "olg guy " in the England tee-shirt running along, singing in time to his walkman.
    I just love it !!!!!!
  • Billyboy - whereabouts in Germany are you? I'm in Frankfurt
  • Hey MartinH and Billyboy - we're all in the same region more or less! I live in Wachenheim on the Deutsche Weinstrasse and work in Mannheim-Seckenheim. Our house is 200m from the start of the Pfaelzerwald so we run almost always on sunlit (summer) or snowy (winter) forest trails.
    S.A.
  • Reasons to run? Clean crisp air, pine needles, miles and miles of forest trails, feeling good, tired-but-wonderful, the taste of a good beer afterwards, my dogs running ahead and back to me,self-reliance, my post-run shower, finding new routes through the forest, lowering my blood pressure, getting rid of work-induced stress, and many more. And maybe mostly -because I can!
  • Go Pixie! 'Because I can' is my motto.
  • My motto is "never say what if"
  • I run because my family told me,i was too old!Run the london marathon they said,impossible!But i did it,then injury struck.So now they said you'll have to give up.No no and thrice no, we are now managing some gentle gym work and waiting for a scan that will hopefully give me a clean bill of health.I will run forever.......
  • Well done you
    Dont let theb###ds grind you down
  • Yeah to that! I've got osteoporosis, but so what? I don't let a small thing like fractured bones slow me down - competing in Ironman triathlons I've seen blind people or people with only one leg finishing! In tri circles there's a very famous kid named Rudy Garcia who has no legs but is a fierce triathlon competitor - if he can do it, so can we able-bodied folks!
  • To enjoy the feeling of getting into the Zone after the first mile or so, the breathing sorts itself out, the heart rate steadies and there is no-one else there.
    Even if you have a bad run you are still happy you made the effort to go out.
    The feeling of setting a target, long or short term and achieving it. Having the confidence to say that you can, even if others wonder why you bother.
  • MartinH and Billyboy - do you guys ever go to Volksmarsch events? John & I often run one on a Sunday for a change in route if we're not doing a race anywhere