TO BIG FOR IRONMAN

I AM CONSIDERING ENTERING AN IRONMAN(IT HAS BEEN AN AMBITION OF MINE FOR YEARS)HOWEVER I AM 16 1/2 STONE.I HAVE COMPLETED LONDON TRI..3 1/2HRS AND LONDON MARATHON 5 1/2 HRS.MY QUESTION IS AM I TO BIG AND IF NOT ANY IDEAS WHERE I CAN GET A TRAINING PROGRAM THAT WILL GET ME AROUND THE COURSE IN 16 1/2 HRS.

I AWAIT ALL HONEST ANSWERS!!!!!

Comments

• not too big (maybe too mad - but that's another point!!).

take a look at www.clydesdaleuk.net and the link to it's american counterparts - especially in the tri box on the right. this site is aimed at larger athletes such as you and me (I'm over 100kg). they should help you/

fyi - the record holder for the largest person to complete an Ironman is held by Darry Haley at over 300lbs (former linebacker) - so you've got a weigh (sic) to go!!!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Go for it Dingle. I have a Big Angry Friend who cursed himself round Longest Day in 15, and he's a LOT bigger than you.

You will be inundated with links, advice and support here, so sit tight.

:o)
  • Dingle - I've seen men (& women too) much bigger than you complete the course, also people with only one leg, a blind woman, and wheelchair athletes. Go for it.
  • I am a member of Black Country Tri and I help out & marshall each year at the Longest Day Tri, and believe me we see all shapes & sizes crossing the finishing line. Obviously you will need to train properly for the event, but from my own IM racing experience and observations at TLD the most important ingredient is the desire to succeed, and you already have that.
    The Longest Day is the ideal event for 1st timers - the swim is in a lake, the bike course has no major hills, and the run is flat & shaded - and you get plenty of support from the race team and supporters.
    Go for it, you won't regret it!
  • Keep you training simple and aim to get you long run, long ride and long swim in each week any thing else is bonus - make sure you recover from sessions and you'll progress and you'll lose weight (im no skinny myself)

Remeber IM is aerobic - so train aerobic not anaerobic

Good luck
  • THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE IT WAS MOST ENCOURAGING.ALL I NEED TO DO NOW IS ENTER ONE, POSS THE LONGEST DAY....(WHICH IT PROBABLY WILL BE)
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    (he's got a jolly big voice, too, hasn't he?)

:o)
  • Why not mate
    why shouldnt you?

turn off the caps lock tho!
  • Dingle, you and I are very similar I believe. In July I weighed 15st 12lb (my heaviest in years). Ive previously used running targets as a motivation to maintain my weight (im a big guy at 6ft 1 and usually around 14-15 stomer - was once 21 stone).

In July I decided to aim for the ultimate target so have entered the 2004 longest day. I devised a 12 month training program and am nearly 3 months into it. Ive lost 1 stone, am now able to run 10 miles (very slowly) and I have been taking swimming lessons for 4 weeks to improve my freestyle (now able to swim 300 meteres continous instead of the 50 I could do before).

Its early days but I still have a long way to go but I have the determination and ambition.
  • Look forward to seeing you at longest day Carl