Pregnancy and exercise - does society judge?

2»

Comments

• Friend ran London at 6 months- disappointed she didn't get sub 3:30. She ran 9 miles the morning she gave birth, after averaging 60 plus miles a week up to that date and did a half a few weeks after her first..

All well and very healthy. The only criticism she gets is that her sons are hyperactive and the elder, (6, I believe) is racing kids 2 or 3 years older than him and winning!

Seren, you know who I mean, I think?
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I cycled and swam all the way through both my pregnancies and cycled to the hospital the day before my first was born
  • My OH is a nurse and believes that it's important for pregnant women to do some excersise so they are strong for the big day! If I knew I had something like that comming up I would definatly be in training for it!
  • my mrs cycled 20km to the hospital while in labour, gave birth and jogged back home afterwards with little'un on her back...

• I was told when pregnant by the midvives not to do bresat stroke with your legs as this could be dangerous and bring on labour too early.......

didn't believe a word of it..........A baby will come when its ready......

when i was overdure..............i tried breaststoke legs for all they were worth........and a hot curry and sex..and a chilli and sex

• I see quite a few pregnant women on the treadmills and ellipticals at my gym.

I was just reading this blog http://trisaratopsimadventure.blogspot.co.uk/ the other day and she talked a lot about exercising while she was pregnant and peoples' responses to it. 

• I advise women if their pregnancy has no complications to carry on exercising but to listen to their bodies, not to get overheated and to keep hydrated. As joints are more lax to be careful with weights and to avoid contact sports.

I do encourage walking and swimming / aquarobics even if they haven't exercised before.

seren nos, the reason someone might be advised not to swim breast stroke is more to do with symphysis pubis pain. Also not to good for the back especially if technique is poor, but if it doesn't cause problems no reason not to do it. If only it did bring on labour it would save the NHS a fortune on inductions image

• it was  a number of years ago Fairy elephant.......thanks for a more sensible reason........if I ever get pregnant again i will remember that imageimageimageimage

• skotty wrote (see)

my mrs cycled 20km to the hospital while in labour, gave birth and jogged back home afterwards with little'un on her back...

Why didn't she take her bike home? Did you pinch it? imageimage hee hee

• Jamie Newton 2 wrote (see)
    skotty wrote (see)

my mrs cycled 20km to the hospital while in labour, gave birth and jogged back home afterwards with little'un on her back...

obviously she didn't have a helmet for the baby image

• fairy elephant wrote (see)
    Jamie Newton 2 wrote (see)
    skotty wrote (see)

obviously she didn't have a helmet for the baby image

Hee hee

• I think that I have definitely been judged for exercising during pregnancy!
    On my morning run last week I had a delightful busy body say that I was being selfish!
    I think too often people think that mums running or exercising is due to vanity, when there is so much more to it than that!
    It's so frustrating!
    There is a similar thread on this forum too  http://www.fittamamma.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=10996bbd3c7b9260a8392fd1e1191e52 

• Spam Womble to aisle one please....

Oh best bring towels and hot water - just in case....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I think everyone is going to complain no matter what you do. If you're fat - they'll tell you to not run because you'll kill your joints. You shouldnt run if you're on your period etc. As others have said - just listen to your body.

• Ran a 5k in the summer and there was a heavily pregnant lady. To be honest i was more worried about her beating me than passing judgement (she looked like a serious runner to me even with bump).

I confess to having a little thought of "is this wise?" but I kept my opinions to myself as I have no knowledge to judge from.   

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I ended up on a st johns ambulance stretcher at mile 18 at VLM.  I was pregnant but didnt't know it.  Despite being marathon fit before pregnancy, I couldn't get on with running whilst pregnant, it made me feel horrible and a bit faint.  I also struggled with yoga as your head is down alot in yoga  and it made me feel dizzy. I did swim lots, use the gym and do power walking.  A few people made some dumb comments but most people were fine.  Despite exercising, I managed to pile on weight... 

Personally, I wouldn't race whilst pregnant.  I was told that you had to keep your heart rate below 150 and I am not sure I could do what whilst 'racing'.

One of the problems of being pregnant is that you become some kind of public property, everyone comments on you/your bump and seems to have an opinion on what you should and shouldn't be doing.  Just do what works for you...